Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 02:13 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookingaround22 View Post
Thank you for kind response.

All these are so helpful, as per it’s difficult to walk away from salary.
As far as other places, we have been looking extensively for years.
I prefer Parker CO or similar in CO, my wife wants the nice house that comes with a move Cary NC.
Plymouth MN still in play.
I can find a job in a week in any place at anytime, but at a much lower salary.
Quote:
yeah, I like that!

My oldest daughter is a freshman college runner in CO, and she is loving it!! She tells me all the time, that running is a different sport minus the oppressive humidity. She is very excited about the snow tomorrow

I would prefer CO, but my wife is into houses, and 550k house in CO, is much different than a 550k house in NC.
I could live in an old shack, I dont care, but my wife sure does
What is it that you like about Parker? Denver is expensive, but Colorado Springs and Northern Colorado are cheaper. If you don't mind living in a more rural area, check out Berthoud, Franktown, Elizabeth, Elbert, Calhan, or Peyton. I'll also throw out Grand Junction again. It has more of a Utah/desert feel, but it's considerably cheaper than most of the Front Range.

If you want to live closer to (or in) the mountains, look into Cañon City, Buena Vista, or Salida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 02:22 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
What are thoughts on this board, I am looking at cutting my pay from 185-200 K, to 115k, to leave SW FL.
We hate humidity, we are runners and like to hike and snow ski.

I am 50 years old and could tough it out for 5-6 more years and pay off mortgage. But we hate it here so much. Its hot and humid year round. Some people like that, particularly less active folks.

So with this move i will be physically and mentally healthier, but financially much less healthy.

Thoughts?
So will you be moving to Salt Lake City?

Old 10-23-2020, 02:26 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
I know.. It's already only 30 degrees today in Denver at 1 p.m. Sunday the high is 23 and Monday it's 19.
And it'll be in the 60s tomorrow then again by next Friday. I'm more active during the winter here than I was anytime during the year when we lived in DFW. I would much rather deal with one of our winters (which are highly variable) than one of DFW's unrelentingly hot and humid summers. That, and, let's face it, the Metroplex isn't exactly an outdoor mecca or a picture of scenic beauty.

Old 10-23-2020, 03:52 PM

49 posts, read 45,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So will you be moving to Salt Lake City?
I strongly considered SLC for obvious reason. It has everything!
2 things tho
The houses seem insanely expensive for what u get. Seems this has happened in last few years, but i guess that has happened many places
Secondly, I was advised it might be a weird place to raise my 8 year old, who is not LDS.

Old 10-23-2020, 05:13 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
I strongly considered SLC for obvious reason. It has everything!
2 things tho
The houses seem insanely expensive for what u get. Seems this has happened in last few years, but i guess that has happened many places
Secondly, I was advised it might be a weird place to raise my 8 year old, who is not LDS.
You were probably given that advise by people who really don't know what they're talking about. As long as you stay within Salt Lake County, your son would be FINE. Mormons account for 49% of the 1.1 million residents in Salt Lake County. That means slightly over half of the residents of the county are not LDS. Of the 1.1 million LDS people in Salt Lake County, I would say that only about 60% are practicing. Now you've got more than 70% of the people you'd be living around and working with and that your child would be going to school with who are either non-LDS or non-practicing LDS. (Now if you were to be considering Utah county, I would not recommend you make the move.)

I am a 72-year-old LDS woman who has always lived in Salt Lake City. I grew up in the 1950s and 1960's. During most of my childhood and teenage years, I hung out with roughly a dozen other girls. I'd say probably 2/3 of us were LDS. The other 1/3 was not. It didn't matter one single solitary bit to us, and it didn't matter to our parents either. I raised my two kids in the 1980s and 1990s. (Yeah, imagine that -- a Mormon family with just two kids! ). One was a boy and the other a girl. Both of them had friends that were LDS and non-LDS.

Today, and for the last 38 years, I've lived in Cottonwood Heights, which is a suburb of Salt Lake City with a population of about 34,000. 61% of the residents here are LDS, but again, not all are practicing. There are 12 households on my street. Of those, four are active LDS; eight are not. There are Latinos, Middle-easterners and Asians within those twelve households. The ages of the homeowners range from their 20s to their 90s. That is a fairly diverse group of people, in my opinion.

If you love hiking and winter sports, oh my gosh! There isn't another city in the country that can match Salt Lake. And the five national parks in southern Utah... Have you visited them? They are positively amazing! I can't speak to the real estate market, but I do know it's considered pretty expensive. Still, you owe it to yourself to strongly consider Salt Lake.

Old 10-24-2020, 04:23 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
I have several non-Mormon ski friends who moved to Salt Lake City. They all really like the place. My mom wintered in Park City in a residential area outside town with the big Mormon families. The people were plenty nice but you weren’t part of the community.

Old 10-24-2020, 06:53 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
I know.. It's already only 30 degrees today in Denver at 1 p.m. Sunday the high is 23 and Monday it's 19.
I’d prefer that over 90 and humid on Halloween.

Old 10-24-2020, 09:14 AM

29 posts, read 41,495 times
I am in a similar position. Life is too short to be unhappy. Go for it.

Old 10-24-2020, 05:54 PM

49 posts, read 45,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I’d prefer that over 90 and humid on Halloween.
Ahhhh, u must have lived in FL!!
We have had kids come to door on Halloween, and they didnt want candy, they just begged for ice water.

I really cant understand why anyone would want to live in SW FL, but its booming with new residents.

Old 10-24-2020, 07:55 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Transplants are depressed because they're getting paid half of what they were doing in their native state. You have it all on a stick and want to leave because the humidity is annoying. Life is so funny. I don't know anybody who would willingly give up an almost 200k salary in the state of FL (extremely rare) in Sarasota (a paradise) for a 70k paycut to live elsewhere. Absolutely mind-boggling. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.