Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 10:28 PM

148 posts, read 173,305 times

Advertisements

Grocery stores, etc. what is a city where you go to shop and usually staff is great, food is good, even if it is a Walmart it still is up to standard.

I myself live in the Santa Rosa, CA area and they are ok. Like we have some co-ops and local chains as well as Safeway but Safeway kinda sucks, me having worked there before too. The desert isn’t great, sandwiches are ok at best, selection of frozen food isn’t great, and tbh because I do not often cook (slowly becoming a more functionable adult) I don’t get the meat or cooking stuff so whatever my dad made was kinda good.

The local stores like Oliver’s, and IGAs here have unique foods and seasonings.

Seeing as it is somewhere you have to go, it has to be good. I been to Safeways in Seattle, Vancouver and they were ok I guess, but I think I went to an organic store in Seattle but didn’t spend enough time but saw it as very community oriented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2020, 10:43 PM

11,970 posts, read 7,709,784 times
Phoenix iirc had the best grocery stores I've ever seen. Fye I think it was called.

Boston has Market Baskets and Wegmans which are my favorite two. Local farm grocers are great throughout NY and New England.

Old 10-26-2020, 12:44 AM

148 posts, read 173,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Phoenix iirc had the best grocery stores I've ever seen. Fye I think it was called.

Boston has Market Baskets and Wegmans which are my favorite two. Local farm grocers are great throughout NY and New England.
Wasn’t Fye the electronic store? And I have heard Boston has Boston Market.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:44 AM

2,433 posts, read 3,309,727 times
Cincinnati has the 2 best supermarkets in the country..if not the world.

The 2 locations of JungleJim's

Nothing like it anywhere...like a DisneyLand of food.

Old 10-26-2020, 02:16 AM

5,749 posts, read 3,517,832 times
Anyone who's ever lived in Texas will rave about HEB. They're not in Dallas ot Houston, and people there are greeen with envy. Traveling shelf-jobbers have told me that.

Old 10-26-2020, 02:39 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,825,727 times
Metro Phoenix has a massive variety of grocery chains. Many of the grocery stores in metro Phoenix are massive, very new with a selection of items that I have not seen in other cities.

If one goes to several different grocery store chains when the ads come out they can get a tremendous amount of groceries for a very low price in the area also because of the selection of chains and prices tend to be excellent.

Southern California is also excellent for grocery stores, literally dozens of grocery stores and excellent prices and quality.

Omaha also is very good on selection of many different grocery stores chains to choose from. It seems to be a very competitive grocery market, with a wide selection of stores and excellent prices.

I will say I really like Florida, but there is a grocery chain that overwhelms the market that I shall not mention that seemed to have alot stores that were very nice and clean but the prices were unlike anything I have ever seen and for the items I buy it seemed to be about twice the price compared to what I am used to.

After being in Phoenix, I went into this Florida grocery store chain on vacation with lots of stores and I couldn't believe the prices. Seemed for the items I buy it was about twice the price of the same items in Phoenix.

Old 10-26-2020, 03:10 AM

6,322 posts, read 4,844,500 times
I like the Wallingford location of QFC in Seattle, the sign is just so iconic. Having two stories where you go up a narrow staircase also gives it a nice, cozy feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Cincinnati has the 2 best supermarkets in the country..if not the world.

The 2 locations of JungleJim's

Nothing like it anywhere...like a DisneyLand of food.
I've been to the Fairfield one, one of my friends was taking a vinoculture class as a fun college elective, and they did a trip to that Jungle Jim's to do a wine tasting and get a tour of the winery, and I tagged along. I think I have a shirt from there lying around somewhere.

Old 10-26-2020, 04:14 AM

61,080 posts, read 85,880,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Anyone who's ever lived in Texas will rave about HEB. They're not in Dallas ot Houston, and people there are greeen with envy. Traveling shelf-jobbers have told me that.
I don't know what's to envy if you have just one grocery chain in town, like San Antonio (not counting Walmart or Target etc. ). Monopoly isn't a good thing and HEB rules. They aren't bad, but they successfully get rid of every competition and dictate the market. It's getting harder and harder to buy any other brand in their stores, while not everything HEB is the best. They also dictate the prices.
Dallas doesn't have HEB stores, but Houston has a healthy mix and competition keeps the variety of products high and the prices low.
I enjoy shopping in Houston, even HEB, but in San Antonio not so much.

Old 10-26-2020, 06:12 AM

1,633 posts, read 1,023,942 times
In NY Tri-state area we have Kings, Fairway, Stew Leonard's, all locally HQ'd. Great produce, meats, prepared foods, sandwiches and wines. No shortage of top options.

Old 10-26-2020, 06:50 AM

26,817 posts, read 43,286,237 times
In NC (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) within 20 minutes they have Wegmans, Harris Teeter, Publix, Whole Foods, Sprouts, Fresh Market, Aldi, Lidl, Food Lion, IGA, Red and White, three food coops, some of the best farmers markets in the country and the usual big box/club options. I dare say it doesn't get any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.