Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 11:09 PM

8,591 posts, read 14,755,650 times
I personally would go with Colorado Springs. Quality outdoor recreation, and it's close enough to Denver if you need a big city fix and a big airport (Denver > SLC). SLC is an island surrounded by Utah. Once you get out of the bubble the Mormon influence is palpable.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 11-16-2020 at 11:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 05:23 PM

26,826 posts, read 43,315,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I personally would go with Colorado Springs. Quality outdoor recreation, and it's close enough to Denver if you need a big city fix and a big airport (Denver > SLC). SLC is an island surrounded by Utah. Once you get out of the bubble the Mormon influence is palpable.
Albeit a fairly large bubble as one can include all of the metro and places like Park City also. Southern Utah is quite a bit more mixed as well in towns like Cedar City, St George, Springdale, Kanab and Moab.

https://apnews.com/article/7a367fbe5...other%20places.

Old 11-17-2020, 08:50 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,363,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I gotta admit, that Sugar House area looks cool, but SLC still has a heavy Mormon feel

Old 11-18-2020, 10:15 AM

27,889 posts, read 29,690,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I gotta admit, that Sugar House area looks cool, but SLC still has a heavy Mormon feel
I'm just curious... Exactly what does that mean? What is a Mormon feel?

Old 11-18-2020, 05:26 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,335,910 times
If you own prime SF real estate, you can move annnywhere you like...................

Old 11-18-2020, 07:05 PM

759 posts, read 809,702 times
I see you didn't care for Reno, but did you check out Carson City?

It's got everything on your list. I am super outdoorsy, mountain bike and hike every day and the trail systems here plus all the BLM open space gives you so many options. Also, world-class ski resorts and a ton of different types of lakes (alpine, desert, big and small) all around for water sports. We go watch the kite boarders and wind surfers at Washoe Lake several times a week while we walk our dogs on the beach there.

You can drive to the CA coast in one day. It's our favorite drive, we always make sure to go for a hike at the top of the Sierra rim in the morning and walk on the California beach that evening...it's a really cool adventure..plus you drive through wine country on the way

Oh and we have the car culture type of thing going on, Harley Davidson headquarters here and Hot August Nights, Street Vibrations and other motorcycle and car shows in the area. Fernley has some type of speedway out there, not sure what kind of racing.

Right now I have a herd of wild horses on the hill behind my fence, just saw a deer running down the street and the coyotes are staring to howl as they come out for the evening. We just got back from a bike ride along the river with the dogs. I love Carson City.

Last edited by ChrisMT; 11-18-2020 at 07:29 PM..

Old 11-18-2020, 07:13 PM

11,972 posts, read 7,721,914 times
Fort Collins!!!

Old 11-18-2020, 07:19 PM

6 posts, read 4,522 times
You should really look into Colorado and Utah. Both states have very similar climate, but the cost of living can be different. For example, it is expensive to live in Denver (because they’re gaining lots of jobs from out of state which drives up the housing costs). However, you’ll still find cheaper housing in Colorado Springs than in Denver because of the jobs. If you live in Colorado Springs, you get to have the natural beauty of the mountains just nearby your house, which adds in more beauty when you live there. And as for Utah, the situation is different. They have a large LDS population, which can throw you off if you can’t handle large religious communities that are not related to your religion. But, with the best places to live, I would prefer Colorado Springs not because of LDS, but the ability to travel to so many places from there. Just 5 hours from there will lead you to the Midwest and if you went in another direction, more beautiful mountain scenery and even to places like New Mexico or even Utah with the Canyonlands NP. But it’s worth living in SLC and it’s also worth dealing with the LDS population in Utah.

Old 11-18-2020, 08:05 PM

16,308 posts, read 10,324,347 times
I happen to like both Colorado Springs and Salt Lake City, but the OP would be well advised to consider that neither of them are "neutral" when it comes to religion. SLC is the hub of the Mormon faith, and while the city itself is somewhat more secular than other parts of the state, the influence is still there. Colorado Springs, on the other hand, is known as an evangelical Christian stronghold. Or, at least, it was; I'm not sure how true this is anymore.

SLC (the airport) has much more service than COS, though DEN is not too far away from the latter. Plus, Southwest Airlines will be initiating service to COS next year, so this may well result in lower fares and a greater variety of service options at that airport.

Neither city gets much rain; they both average about 18 inches of rain per year. (By comparison, San Francisco gets about 25 inches of rain per year.) Both of these cities are drier and more arid than you're going to be used to, so be sure and take that into account.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:52 PM

759 posts, read 809,702 times
I have family that moved from Colorado Springs to get their kids away from gangs/drugs/crime. Maybe it was unique to the area they lived in. Reno and Colorado Springs seem to have similar struggles in this regard unfortunately.
Of course coming from the Bay Area this could still be an improvement lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.