Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 05:25 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
Savannah, Georgia. Visit these places:
Fort Pulaski Nat'l Monument
Tybee National Wildlife Refuge & Tybee Island State Park
I have visited the RV Park on Tybee and it’s very nice. OP says it doesn’t matter, but there is a large Vietnamese population in the Savannah area.

Winters are mild here and it’s starts warming up in March. We are 2 hours from Charleston, 2 hours from Jacksonville, FL and just across the river from Hilton Head. Savannah is a great base for exploring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2020, 05:49 AM

137 posts, read 142,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have visited the RV Park on Tybee and it’s very nice. OP says it doesn’t matter, but there is a large Vietnamese population in the Savannah area.

Winters are mild here and it’s starts warming up in March. We are 2 hours from Charleston, 2 hours from Jacksonville, FL and just across the river from Hilton Head. Savannah is a great base for exploring.
Thanks, adding it to my list!

Old 11-01-2020, 07:40 AM

330 posts, read 149,460 times
I'm going to give this a try. I've never done this myself so not sure its possible with the timeframe but thinking you start in the late winter in California and if you have the funds I'd pitstop in Hawaii on flight over to cover Pearl Harbor, DiamondHead, Napali coast, etc.

Then start in San Fran area
Yosemite NP / Lake Tahoe area so you can check out Reno and Carson City
Redwoods National Forest
California Route 1 to SoCal
Joshua Tree NP
Las Vegas
Hoover Dam
Grand Canyon (Imo North Rim > South Rim)
Zion National Park
Antelope Canyon
Bryce and Staircase National Monument
Cortez/Durango/Ouray/Telluride Colorado(San Juan Mountains)
Grand Teton National Park Wyoming
Glaciar National Park Montana
Rapid City SD (Black Hills/Badlands Mt Rushmore)
Upper Peninsula of Michigan down the lower peninsula cut across the north shore of Lake Erie in Canada for...
Niagara Falls (Leetchworth State Park and Finger Lakes are also close by and not to far off path to next destination)
Adirondack Mountains (drive through Tupper Lake, Saranac Lake and Lake Placid)
(should be around Labor Day at this point)
Lake Champaign / Burlington VT area
Take route 2 across NH/Maine with stop at Mt Washington
Bar Harbor / Acadia National Park ME
Down the central coast of Maine through MA/RI/CT
Drive towards
Lancaster PA/ Winchester VA / Frederick MD / Harpers Ferry WV is an interesting area on your way to
Shenandoah Valley (Charlottesville / Roanoke VA)
Knoxville/Chattanooga/Cookeville and Smokey Mountain National Park
Check out western North Carolina and upcountry South Carolina which could be a good fit for you and your wife. I also think the Huntsville AL area might be worth exploring for housing options.
If you wanted to continue on now I'd head west and cover Texas and New Mexico during the late fall.

Before I get crucified leaving out the PNW. I think the best months to visit there would be Aug/Sept and just couldn't get it to work. I also figure its not an area you'd consider living in so you can do that itinerary during a separate trip via flight after you're firmly situated here in the US.

Best of luck in your travels and move!

Old 11-01-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCityIsBetterThanYours View Post
I'm going to give this a try. I've never done this myself so not sure its possible with the timeframe but thinking you start in the late winter in California and if you have the funds I'd pitstop in Hawaii on flight over to cover Pearl Harbor, DiamondHead, Napali coast, etc.

Then start in San Fran area
Yosemite NP / Lake Tahoe area so you can check out Reno and Carson City
Redwoods National Forest
California Route 1 to SoCal
Joshua Tree NP
Las Vegas
Hoover Dam
Grand Canyon (Imo North Rim > South Rim)
Zion National Park
Antelope Canyon
Bryce and Staircase National Monument
Cortez/Durango/Ouray/Telluride Colorado(San Juan Mountains)
Grand Teton National Park Wyoming
Glaciar National Park Montana
Rapid City SD (Black Hills/Badlands Mt Rushmore)
Upper Peninsula of Michigan down the lower peninsula cut across the north shore of Lake Erie in Canada for...
Niagara Falls (Leetchworth State Park and Finger Lakes are also close by and not to far off path to next destination)
Adirondack Mountains (drive through Tupper Lake, Saranac Lake and Lake Placid)
(should be around Labor Day at this point)
Lake Champaign / Burlington VT area
Take route 2 across NH/Maine with stop at Mt Washington
Bar Harbor / Acadia National Park ME
Down the central coast of Maine through MA/RI/CT
Drive towards
Lancaster PA/ Winchester VA / Frederick MD / Harpers Ferry WV is an interesting area on your way to
Shenandoah Valley (Charlottesville / Roanoke VA)
Knoxville/Chattanooga/Cookeville and Smokey Mountain National Park
Check out western North Carolina and upcountry South Carolina which could be a good fit for you and your wife. I also think the Huntsville AL area might be worth exploring for housing options.
If you wanted to continue on now I'd head west and cover Texas and New Mexico during the late fall.

Before I get crucified leaving out the PNW. I think the best months to visit there would be Aug/Sept and just couldn't get it to work. I also figure its not an area you'd consider living in so you can do that itinerary during a separate trip via flight after you're firmly situated here in the US.

Best of luck in your travels and move!
You. Are. Awesome!!!

Thank you so much, this is exactly the kind of list I was hoping for!

Amazingly perfect!

Thanks!!!

Old 11-01-2020, 08:35 AM

330 posts, read 149,460 times
Glad I could help. Something like this would be my dream trip one day. One thing to add depending on how comfortable you are driving a large vehicle, I'd recommend maybe not getting the RV until after departing from Las Vegas. Route 1 can be a scary ride particularly when headed southbound and hugging the guardrail to a precipitous drop down the cliffs towards the Pacific Ocean.

Old 11-04-2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCityIsBetterThanYours View Post
Glad I could help. Something like this would be my dream trip one day. One thing to add depending on how comfortable you are driving a large vehicle, I'd recommend maybe not getting the RV until after departing from Las Vegas. Route 1 can be a scary ride particularly when headed southbound and hugging the guardrail to a precipitous drop down the cliffs towards the Pacific Ocean.
Hi,

I just wanted to thank you again, I got done putting these into my map and I really appreciate it!

The timeline will be different, and the route I'll take (we'll go clockwise, starting in the Southeast in the winter since our starting base is the Midwest and we have family there to visit first), but in terms of pure information I could use to develop a beautiful experience for my wife you really did me a great favor!

Again, thanks so much!

Warmest regard!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.