Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,098 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I (mid-twenties) are both life long SE Florida residents and are at a point in our lives where we are looking to settle down for a while. We both have been craving a change in scenery and lifestyle to what we have here in our part of the country. We love a chill/laid back vibe and the ability to connect with nature. Though I love the beach and go regularly, I feel as though experiencing life in a new area would be really cool! I have traveled to many different states but have spent the most time here and in Pennsylvania to visit family (have been to every state in between along the drive).

I know Floridians moving to colder weather might seem like a stretch, but I've always loved seasons and would love to live somewhere that actually has them We both enjoy the cold and if you're from Florida you know how hot it has been lately here, these summers make it impossible to even think about spending time outside!

I have been to California, Montana, and Colorado on vacations and have always had a desire to be around the mountains. The states we have talked about the most are NC, TX, TN, and CO for various lifestyle and financial reasons. We visited Asheville, NC this time of year a few years ago and really loved the vibe of that town (I know it's not a perfect place, but just to give an idea about us). We are not looking to start a family any time soon, we'll be focusing on meeting people and making new friends. This is a list of our priorities and if anyone has advice I would so greatly appreciate any words of wisdom!

1.) Cost of living

2.) Outdoorsy lifestyle

3.) Proximity to at least some town center (preferably not major city, but at least some bar/restaurant scene)

4.) Climate with seasons
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2020, 01:28 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
In TN, if you need jobs, it’s basically going to come down to metro Nashville and metro Knoxville. Anything north and east of Knoxville is abysmal from a jobs perspective.

Old 11-15-2020, 01:47 PM

472 posts, read 346,357 times
I'll also add Chattanooga in TN. It has a decent job market, especially for some tech stuff now. Moreover, it is a beautiful place and has some great hiking nearby. Lookout Mountain is fun and the area isn't as expensive as some other developed mountain towns/cities. The Knoxville area is nice as well.
I'd also maybe add Flagstaff to your list if you are looking to be out West, however, it is pricer compared to Knox.
I wouldn't do Nashville, personally, if you are a big hiker or outdoors person. Not that Nashville doesn't have outdoorsy stuff, it just pales in comparison to others. It is also becoming quite expensive.
I actually think NC would be a really good fit for y'all as well- quite a few decent spots there.
Best of luck.

Old 11-15-2020, 02:09 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpb0312 View Post
We are not looking to start a family any time soon, we'll be focusing on meeting people and making new friends. This is a list of our priorities and if anyone has advice I would so greatly appreciate any words of wisdom!

1.) Cost of living

2.) Outdoorsy lifestyle

3.) Proximity to at least some town center (preferably not major city, but at least some bar/restaurant scene)

4.) Climate with seasons

Check out Atlanta, in particular the northern suburbs around Gainesville. It's a rapidly growing area with lots of jobs and a reasonable cost of living with 1 bdrm apartments renting for $900-$1000 per month. It's just around 30 miles from the mountains so very close, and Lake Lanier is in your back yard basically. Gainesville itself has an active downtown so plenty to do there or 45 minutes away is Midtown/Buckhead or Downtown Atlanta for days off/weekends.

https://businessviewmagazine.com/gai...rowing-wisely/
https://www.lanierislands.com/

Old 11-15-2020, 02:26 PM

8,492 posts, read 8,774,574 times
Brevard and Boone NC. Blacksburg VA and outskirts. Roanoke VA. What do you see that you like or not about them? If they aren't right for some reason, then you know what you need to add while hopefully retaining what you like about one or more of them.

Cookeville TN or Chattanooga. Dalton GA.

San Marcos TX or nearby smaller cities like Canyon Lake or Wimberley or maybe Lockhart. Maybe Junction if you are willing to stretch further from big cities to hilly country town. Other options like New Braunfels, Seguin, Fredricksburg and Kerrville are probably somewhat more expensive.

Colorado? Montrose. Fruita.

Last edited by NW Crow; 11-15-2020 at 02:59 PM..

Old 11-15-2020, 07:42 PM

1,002 posts, read 916,718 times
I moved from Florida to Vermont and fell in love with the area. If you liked Ashville's vibe, you really should check out Burlington.

Some neat things about the state:
-Billboards and roadside advertising is banned
-Single use plastic is banned
-There's a "green up" day every year where a large percent of people voluntarily pick up trash and litter along roadways and in other public areas
-Chittenden county had the lowest unemployment in the country before Covid
-It's one of, if not that only large rural area that's progressive/liberal

Old 11-15-2020, 10:40 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,392,777 times
If weather is the motivator I'd scratch TX. It's not going to be much different than Florida on that front.

Old 11-15-2020, 11:54 PM

119 posts, read 122,098 times
If cost of living is your #1 priority then Colorado is automatically disqualified. I’m thinking western NC, eastern TN, or western VA. Greenville, SC could be a good fit too.

Will you need jobs or are you working remotely?

Old 11-16-2020, 01:14 AM

115 posts, read 103,093 times
Try this link. It could be helpful. It is a cost of living
https://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/...ing/index.html

Old 11-16-2020, 01:31 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpb0312 View Post
My boyfriend and I (mid-twenties) are both life long SE Florida residents and are at a point in our lives where we are looking to settle down for a while. We both have been craving a change in scenery and lifestyle to what we have here in our part of the country. We love a chill/laid back vibe and the ability to connect with nature. Though I love the beach and go regularly, I feel as though experiencing life in a new area would be really cool! I have traveled to many different states but have spent the most time here and in Pennsylvania to visit family (have been to every state in between along the drive).

I know Floridians moving to colder weather might seem like a stretch, but I've always loved seasons and would love to live somewhere that actually has them We both enjoy the cold and if you're from Florida you know how hot it has been lately here, these summers make it impossible to even think about spending time outside!

I have been to California, Montana, and Colorado on vacations and have always had a desire to be around the mountains. The states we have talked about the most are NC, TX, TN, and CO for various lifestyle and financial reasons. We visited Asheville, NC this time of year a few years ago and really loved the vibe of that town (I know it's not a perfect place, but just to give an idea about us). We are not looking to start a family any time soon, we'll be focusing on meeting people and making new friends. This is a list of our priorities and if anyone has advice I would so greatly appreciate any words of wisdom!

1.) Cost of living

2.) Outdoorsy lifestyle

4.) Climate with seasons
Most of Texas does not have real seasons.The only real places in the great state of Texas that have seasons are the South Plains and the Panhandle.They are kind of close to the mountains in New Mexico and Colorado but the summers are still hot there.

but not quite as hot as the rest of Texas.they have low cost of living but dont really have outdoorsy lifestyle.
Closer to El Paso may be better for the outdoors and El Paso has a good climate but it may be too big for u.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.