Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2020, 03:23 PM

16 posts, read 11,642 times

Advertisements

First post, gonna be long. Hope it's not too painful to read...

A bit about me: Single, no kids, love music live and otherwise, guitar, pubs / bars, restaurants, cooking, nature, hiking. Try to use both sides of my brain. Atheist, would vote blue / red depending on the situation / personnel, not as a life commitment. Slightly introverted, takes a while to get to know me, but have great friendships.

25 years working in tech, CTO of a medium SMB SaaS company. Have freelanced in the past, would like to do it again. I am lucky but I still work for the man and I would like more freedom in my life, and to accelerate my FIRE journey. Israel has lots of good (people, food, vibe) but the cost of living is ridiculously high, and the salaries don't keep up in the slightest. Oh yeah, and the society is irreparably fractured.

I've moved country once and learnt a language, don't want to learn another one. Australia visas are scarce right now, and my age is borderline. I've always had good experiences in the USA, mostly as a tourist but also more recently on business in the West Coast. I'm sure my glasses are rose-tinted but I feel opportunity in the air.

Visa-wise, I'd prefer to freelance and do whatever I need to do to make that happen, but on paper it's not trivial. Slightly easier (but still difficult) process-wise would be to get a job offer out there, maybe from a FAANG company. I think I'd be a good Engineering Manager at that scale, but I have heard mixed things about the cultures, the interview process means grinding things that don't matter, and it's still working for the man. Although, these are decisions of lucky people, no complaints.

So, where to live? I started asking my friends there and the general feedback is that I'm more West than East Coast, as I'm not into formalities and I don't connect with Florida. I guess I have the British coldness (I don't call it politeness) which burns slowly, mixed with the Israeli mentality where people are very direct and transparent, for good and bad, argue one minute and are best friends the next.

I don't see the point in going to live somewhere with grim winters, my native UK is pretty grey most of the year and it doesn't appeal. As I'm on FIRE, I'd like a relatively low cost of living vs salary (or freelance charges). Coast would be nice, I'll miss the Tel Aviv beaches, but I appreciate it costs more. Somewhere where I can meet people both romantically and as friends.

I appreciate that at 43 it's a bit unusual to be single. Somewhere where I can leave home an evening and be near something fun to do, preferably a jam session, or leave home at a weekend and get to nature or leisure. I will inevitably have a car, but if I don't have to use it every day, even better. I'll probably rent at first as I find myself, but an area that's up and coming where I could buy at a good price is also cool.

I must admit I like California despite its downsides, but I see it as more of a heart choice than head. Due to FIRE, I'm trying to use my head. On the other hand, I still want to feel alive, I need some kind of life around me. I'm happy to compromise but I don't want to slum it nor be stuck in cookie-cutter suburbia.

Here's my shortlist, mainly based on what they recommended. I made some notes based on what I hear. I'd love to hear what you think based on my description. What would you add or remove? What did I miss or get wrong? Feel free to add specific neighbourhoods, in fact anything you want.

Phoenix
+ Weather (mostly), low cost of living (still?), decent car access to nature, decent plane access to more interesting places
- Boring for a single? Weather (sometimes)?

Austin
+ Music scene, nightlife (too young?), free spirited (Tel Aviv is very free spirited)
- Seems to have been ruined somewhat by outsiders (like me), but hard to know from reading online. Traffic, cramped, crowded

Las Vegas
+ Low cost of living. My friend lives there and raves about it. But she's younger and less ambitious than me, she goes with the flow. Also decent plane access
- At least from afar, looks tacky. Is there a scene that I'd connect to?

Los Angeles
+ I loved it on business when I took more days to explore. Great scale, great possibilities. Feel energy in the air (I can see as a resident this might wear off)
- CA prices, pollution, taxes, traffic. Pathetic public transport. Too much scale?

San Diego
+ Everything except...
- Cost of living

San Francisco / Bay Area
+ Near potential FAANG job
- No other reason to live there at that cost of living

Seattle / Portland
+ Lots to do, dynamic, lively. More I'm sure but:
- Weather sucks so I didn't investigate much further. Riots etc

Nashville
+ Growing? Music? But...
- I don't do country. Isolated? A bridge too far for an expat to land?

Once I'm in a position to leave my job, I'll probably take a road trip around all of the above and get to know them. In the meantime, shoot. And thanks so much for reading this far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2020, 03:38 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,718,772 times
If you are comfortable with being a minority without any of the privileges that accompany that designation or status, then California, Nevada and Texas are viable options for you.

Old 11-13-2020, 06:26 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Have you heard of the east coast?

Old 11-13-2020, 06:53 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,352,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topperdoggle View Post
First post, gonna be long. Hope it's not too painful to read...

A bit about me: Single, no kids, love music live and otherwise, guitar, pubs / bars, restaurants, cooking, nature, hiking. Try to use both sides of my brain. Atheist, would vote blue / red depending on the situation / personnel, not as a life commitment. Slightly introverted, takes a while to get to know me, but have great friendships.

25 years working in tech, CTO of a medium SMB SaaS company. Have freelanced in the past, would like to do it again. I am lucky but I still work for the man and I would like more freedom in my life, and to accelerate my FIRE journey. Israel has lots of good (people, food, vibe) but the cost of living is ridiculously high, and the salaries don't keep up in the slightest. Oh yeah, and the society is irreparably fractured.

I've moved country once and learnt a language, don't want to learn another one. Australia visas are scarce right now, and my age is borderline. I've always had good experiences in the USA, mostly as a tourist but also more recently on business in the West Coast. I'm sure my glasses are rose-tinted but I feel opportunity in the air.

Visa-wise, I'd prefer to freelance and do whatever I need to do to make that happen, but on paper it's not trivial. Slightly easier (but still difficult) process-wise would be to get a job offer out there, maybe from a FAANG company. I think I'd be a good Engineering Manager at that scale, but I have heard mixed things about the cultures, the interview process means grinding things that don't matter, and it's still working for the man. Although, these are decisions of lucky people, no complaints.

So, where to live? I started asking my friends there and the general feedback is that I'm more West than East Coast, as I'm not into formalities and I don't connect with Florida. I guess I have the British coldness (I don't call it politeness) which burns slowly, mixed with the Israeli mentality where people are very direct and transparent, for good and bad, argue one minute and are best friends the next.

I don't see the point in going to live somewhere with grim winters, my native UK is pretty grey most of the year and it doesn't appeal. As I'm on FIRE, I'd like a relatively low cost of living vs salary (or freelance charges). Coast would be nice, I'll miss the Tel Aviv beaches, but I appreciate it costs more. Somewhere where I can meet people both romantically and as friends.

I appreciate that at 43 it's a bit unusual to be single. Somewhere where I can leave home an evening and be near something fun to do, preferably a jam session, or leave home at a weekend and get to nature or leisure. I will inevitably have a car, but if I don't have to use it every day, even better. I'll probably rent at first as I find myself, but an area that's up and coming where I could buy at a good price is also cool.

I must admit I like California despite its downsides, but I see it as more of a heart choice than head. Due to FIRE, I'm trying to use my head. On the other hand, I still want to feel alive, I need some kind of life around me. I'm happy to compromise but I don't want to slum it nor be stuck in cookie-cutter suburbia.

Here's my shortlist, mainly based on what they recommended. I made some notes based on what I hear. I'd love to hear what you think based on my description. What would you add or remove? What did I miss or get wrong? Feel free to add specific neighbourhoods, in fact anything you want.

Phoenix
+ Weather (mostly), low cost of living (still?), decent car access to nature, decent plane access to more interesting places
- Boring for a single? Weather (sometimes)?

Austin
+ Music scene, nightlife (too young?), free spirited (Tel Aviv is very free spirited)
- Seems to have been ruined somewhat by outsiders (like me), but hard to know from reading online. Traffic, cramped, crowded

Las Vegas
+ Low cost of living. My friend lives there and raves about it. But she's younger and less ambitious than me, she goes with the flow. Also decent plane access
- At least from afar, looks tacky. Is there a scene that I'd connect to?

Los Angeles
+ I loved it on business when I took more days to explore. Great scale, great possibilities. Feel energy in the air (I can see as a resident this might wear off)
- CA prices, pollution, taxes, traffic. Pathetic public transport. Too much scale?

San Diego
+ Everything except...
- Cost of living

San Francisco / Bay Area
+ Near potential FAANG job
- No other reason to live there at that cost of living

Seattle / Portland
+ Lots to do, dynamic, lively. More I'm sure but:
- Weather sucks so I didn't investigate much further. Riots etc

Nashville
+ Growing? Music? But...
- I don't do country. Isolated? A bridge too far for an expat to land?

Once I'm in a position to leave my job, I'll probably take a road trip around all of the above and get to know them. In the meantime, shoot. And thanks so much for reading this far.

One metro area you don't have but should consider is Dallas-Fort Worth. Its large, over 7 million in the metro, has the most diverse economy in the sunbelt. a central time zone with two airports and home to American and Southwest Airlines. By car, four hours to Houston or Tulsa Ok, 3 hours to Oklahoma City Austin, a little over 4 hours to San Antonio..

By plane, you are within two hours or less, to Atlanta, Denver, Santa Fe, Las Vegas, Phoenix. Not more than 2 and half hours to Chicago and three hours to Mexico City. Also, cruise lines sail out of Galveston, Texas outside of Houston.

You are in Tech. DFW is the biggest Telecom region in the U.S. Its a big logistical hub. Its also the biggest financial service market in the southern U.S. Chase has a brand new campus for 12,000 employees, Daimler Benz, Deloitte, Nissan, Honda, Comerica Bank, Bank of America, Charles Schwab/TD Ameritrade, Toyota has it north american headquarters here. CBRE, a global Real Estate firm just announced they are moving the HQ to Dallas. Amazon Web Services his expanding is presence to 200,000 sf of space in north Dallas. DFW is also a big defense contractor hub with Lockheed Aerospace and Bell Helicopter based here.

DFW has no mountains but a lot of lakes. The cost of living is reasonable. Great shopping and dining abound. The area is very diverse population wise as is Texas as a whole.

Old 11-13-2020, 07:02 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,529,246 times
Vegas. It’s not tacky. There are upscale areas.

Old 11-13-2020, 07:07 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,761,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Have you heard of the east coast?
My thought too. These Sunbelt cities might look attractive, but to me, your criteria scream metro D.C. It has better mass transit than any of the cities you suggested, a decent social scene for grown-ups instead of kids, plenty of entertainment options, short drives to beaches or mountains, and lots of possibilities for IT work in both the public and private sector. Muggy summers, mild winters (some snow), glorious springs and autumns. Housing costs in the city are higher than the burbs, but the close in burbs, like Alexandria, are as urbane and cosmopolitan. I think you shouldn’t overlook DC.

Old 11-13-2020, 08:23 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,508,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
My thought too. These Sunbelt cities might look attractive, but to me, your criteria scream metro D.C. It has better mass transit than any of the cities you suggested, a decent social scene for grown-ups instead of kids, plenty of entertainment options, short drives to beaches or mountains, and lots of possibilities for IT work in both the public and private sector. Muggy summers, mild winters (some snow), glorious springs and autumns. Housing costs in the city are higher than the burbs, but the close in burbs, like Alexandria, are as urbane and cosmopolitan. I think you shouldn’t overlook DC.
I agree with this. Prince George's County, MD has some relatively affordable, quality housing in good areas, especially compared to the rest of the DC metro area.

Old 11-13-2020, 08:50 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,408,739 times
Techwise, Austin would be great. There are always things to do for young, middle aged, and old as far as nightlife, live music, outdoor activities, food, and live entertainment. You are right about traffic, it is a nightmare and as it is currently, public transportation is poor. Austin is a very diverse city with a large Hispanic and Asian population. The airport is not a large hub, but is a larger airport and will take you anywhere in the US and to London, Amsterdam, Paris, and Frankfurt, (not during the Rona obviously).

Other cities you should consider are Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, and Philadelphia.

Old 11-13-2020, 08:58 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,151,102 times
I think you should strike off Portland, Seattle, Vegas and Nashville from your list, then see where you can get a good job. But of course tech jobs, particularly FAANG, are going increasingly remote so you might still be able to pick your city. Some folks mentioned DC, which wouldn't be bad if you are willing to accept the winters. Pittsburgh is another cold-weather alternative to mention for its abundance of tech jobs and their incredibly high salary to cost of living ratio for your FIRE goals.

Back in the sunbelt, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta and Miami (I realize it's in FL) all do indeed offer a decent opportunity to live in walkable neighborhoods with singles looking to mingle. Just saying, something to consider.

Lastly, I'll say, it's kind of a stab in the dark but I feel Austin is the best fit for you. And I'll say it again for emphasis...if you're willing to suck up the winters, Pittsburgh is worth a look.

Old 11-13-2020, 10:25 PM

2,217 posts, read 1,391,277 times
If single at 43 in the tech industry, why even care about FIRE? I don't think finances should be overly complicated for you with zero children. Living life as an adult is really not that expensive...

I'd probably do LA or NYC. I'm an Austinite and love the place, but I'd pick it only if you particularly liked the vibe, not just to save a few bucks on cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.