Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 02:01 PM

624 posts, read 900,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Illinois is thought of as an extremely "only the biggest city matters" state, but I bet a lot of people could name Springfield, East St. Louis, Urbana-Champaign, maybe Peoria.
Rockford?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Who here can name any other cities in Minnesota besides Minneapolis and St. Paul, which are connected?

Rochester?
Duluth?
Maybe St. Cloud?

There are really no other major cities other than the big metro we have here.

Off the top of my head:

States with multiples:
- Texas - Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, El Paso
- Cali - LA, SF, Oakland, Sacramento, San Diego
- Florida - Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando
- New York - NYC, Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse
- Ohio - Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus

States with a couple or so:
- Missouri - Kansas City, St. Louis
- Washington - Seattle, Spokane
- Georgia - Atlanta, Savannah
- North Carolina - Charlotte, Raleigh
- Arizona - Phoenix, Tucson
- Tennessee - Memphis, Nashville
- Wisconsin - Madison, Milwaukee
- Pennsylvania - Pittsburgh, Philadelphia

That's all I have. I'm tired.
Texas: Fort Worth, Corpus Christi, Laredo, Lubbock, Amarillo, Galveston maybe Mc Allen, Brownsville, Odessa, Midland

Last edited by BillyH; 11-19-2020 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: forgot Waco

Old 11-19-2020, 02:18 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,415,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I don't think it's an accurate assessment to ask people on this board to name cities in certain states.

Someone visiting this board are obviously more interested in cities, geography, etc. than the general populace.

Trying to look from their perspective, I'm certain 70% of these cities name here would be unknown to them.

On that point, besides Denver, how many other Colorado cities are well known. I would say Vail & Aspen would come first before Colorado Springs or Fort Collins.
Thank you. It never ceases to amaze me what people on this site think is well known to the average person in regards to cities and attractions?

Old 11-19-2020, 02:20 PM

forgot Waco

Old 11-19-2020, 02:52 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,622,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
Virginia? What about Richmond, Norfolk, Roanoke, etc?

SC definitely isn't a state I think of without any well-known cities. Charleston has become very popular and desirable within the past few decades. Greenville has become one of the new trendy southern cities, and even Clemson is fairly well-known because of how successful the university's sports teams have been recently. Columbia isn't on everyone's radar, but its metro area is home to well over 800k people. The other states yes, but SC is definitely an outlier on this list.
When I think of well-known cities, I think of places where if you were talking to the average joe off the street, you wouldn't have to tell them what state the city is in when you name it.

Old 11-19-2020, 07:48 PM

955 posts, read 599,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
You were close on NJ but there is no Oceanside. However there is an Ocean City, Ocean Grove, Ocean Township and Oceanport.
Thanks, I was thinking of Ocean Township (Wendy Williams' hometown).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Hawaii: you skipped Hilo, which is (or recently was) the state's second-largest city, and the only one of the top 10 that's not on Oahu.
I'm from O'ahu so I just went around the municipalities on the island in my head. Also I think Pearl City is larger than HIlo now.

Old 11-20-2020, 03:01 AM

37,796 posts, read 41,518,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
When I think of well-known cities, I think of places where if you were talking to the average joe off the street, you wouldn't have to tell them what state the city is in when you name it.
Or they are well-known enough on their own that folks might actually be unsure of the state it's in (which does happen...it's America after all).

Old 12-15-2020, 08:37 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,678,960 times
New Jersey is an interesting example.

It's obviously a major and important state but since it borders other well populated states and two of the biggest cities (NYC and Philadelphia), NJ does not have any "major" cities to call it's own.

As far as I know it does not have any cities over 300K and majority of it's population are essentially "suburbs" or at least satellite cities for NYC and Philadelphia (apologies if suburbs is the incorrect term).

Since I have never lived there, as far as the TV market are there dedicated TV networks that cover the NJ side of NYC? Or is there only one ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX for this market?

Old 12-15-2020, 10:16 AM

16,327 posts, read 10,339,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Of course, this opens up a new problem: what about two cities in different states that share the same name? Sometimes it's obvious, like when you say Philadelphia without naming the state, you mean the one in Pennsylvania and not the one in Mississippi. Portland is trickier; I think most people mean the one in Oregon, but the one in Maine is a respectable sized city as well. Charleston could mean either South Carolina or West Virginia. And so on.

Old 12-15-2020, 10:18 AM

16,327 posts, read 10,339,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
New Jersey is an interesting example.

It's obviously a major and important state but since it borders other well populated states and two of the biggest cities (NYC and Philadelphia), NJ does not have any "major" cities to call it's own.

As far as I know it does not have any cities over 300K and majority of it's population are essentially "suburbs" or at least satellite cities for NYC and Philadelphia (apologies if suburbs is the incorrect term).

Since I have never lived there, as far as the TV market are there dedicated TV networks that cover the NJ side of NYC? Or is there only one ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX for this market?
There is no separate TV market for New Jersey; the entire state is served by either the New York or Philadelphia stations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Areas_2013.svg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.