Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 10:41 AM

8,389 posts, read 8,602,374 times

Advertisements

Carson City, NV.

Maybe Caldwell, ID. Radford VA. Davidson NC. Possibly College Station TX.

Last edited by NW Crow; 11-19-2020 at 10:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2020, 02:57 PM

6,623 posts, read 4,069,570 times
I assume your hometown has a name...if you told people that they'd probably find it easier to find a similar type of town.

Old 11-19-2020, 03:35 PM

747 posts, read 488,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
A recent episode of House Hunters had a young couple from SoCal wanting a better place to raise their future family, and they zeroed in on Cookeville, Tennessee. During the follow-up at the end of the episode, the couple said that they love Cookeville so much, they got their extended families and parents to also make the move.

Cookeville is a small town an hour east of the Nashville airport. It's home to the state's flagship technological university and is very family friendly: youth symphony, children's museum, children's library, award winning children's theatre, tons of community festivals and other family friendly events. The school system is an open system, meaning you can live anywhere in the county and send your kids to the school of your choice as long as there's room and you provide the transportation. It's one of a handful of school systems in the country with the International Baccalaureate Program at both the middle and high school levels. It's an excellent school system.

Being a college town, Cookeville has things most towns its size (35k) don't have: 200+ restaurants, museums, galleries, a professional symphony, Shakespeare in the Park, lots of free concerts, etc. It's also got a surprising amount of IT jobs, thanks in large part to a huge government contractor (SAIC) who has set up a large technology gateway in town (in conjunction with the university) with several hundred IT workers. And it's also become a wildly popular area for people who can work from home: very reasonable cost of living, beautiful countryside, attractive town, and gigabit internet even way out in the boonies. I'm 25 miles outside of town in the middle of nowhere (8 miles from the nearest gas station) and yet have gigabit internet at my little farm.

There are 100 waterfalls, 1200 miles of lake shoreline, a dozen state parks and a national recreation area within 40 minutes of town. There are lots of California refugees here (and from other high-cost states) and more keep showing up. Downtown is vibrant and thriving. My elderly mother (87) recently moved to Cookeville and lives right downtown. She hardly has to use her car, as she walks to do most of her errands: 3 farmers markets, a small supermarket, the post office, main library, all of her doctors, her bank, the museum where she volunteers, a dog park, her wealth manager, her daily bakery run, you get the idea.

Check it out. //www.city-data.com/forum/cookeville/

Very helpful, thank you for this!

Old 11-20-2020, 09:45 AM

5 posts, read 2,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I assume your hometown has a name...if you told people that they'd probably find it easier to find a similar type of town.
Thanks so far on all the suggestions

Chico, California is my hometown.

Our town used to be great. The schools, crime, and increase in traffic has made it much different over the last 30 years. When it was closer to 50-70K people things were much better. We had an influx with the Camp Fire a couple years back as well. We do benefit from great weather, a great downtown (minus homelessness now), an amazing park in Bidwell park, walkability and bike paths all over the city, vibrancy, and a youthful spirit being a college town with plenty to do (outdoors and nightlife).

I don't need our new home to be exactly the same or carry all of those attributes but would like to find a place outside of CA that has some of the things I originally mentioned in my first post. I don't plan on bringing a CA mentality wherever we go and want to experience all that our new state (home) brings with it's culture.

Old 11-20-2020, 10:37 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,412,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylie9409 View Post
Thanks so far on all the suggestions

Chico, California is my hometown.

Our town used to be great. The schools, crime, and increase in traffic has made it much different over the last 30 years. When it was closer to 50-70K people things were much better. We had an influx with the Camp Fire a couple years back as well. We do benefit from great weather, a great downtown (minus homelessness now), an amazing park in Bidwell park, walkability and bike paths all over the city, vibrancy, and a youthful spirit being a college town with plenty to do (outdoors and nightlife).

I don't need our new home to be exactly the same or carry all of those attributes but would like to find a place outside of CA that has some of the things I originally mentioned in my first post. I don't plan on bringing a CA mentality wherever we go and want to experience all that our new state (home) brings with it's culture.
So you’re looking for a college town? A “party” college town at that. Maybe the times have changed, but that was its reputation when my Dad taught at Chico State in the 1980’s, and my friends went there in the 1990’s?

Find a college with a good reputation near a major metro for your husband’s business/tech background and you’ll find your place. I’m biased and recommend Ann Arbor, MI, as you’re right next door to Detroit, but the winters might be too much for you saying you’re not cold weather people. Good luck with your search.

Old 11-20-2020, 11:00 AM

759 posts, read 809,702 times
I second Carson City or Douglas County (Minden/Gardnerville) NV. We have winters here though...

Doesn't have as much of the 'youthful spirit' of college party-town Chico....that is Reno, but don't move there... same issues as Chico.

Tons of CA transplants here. Easy drive back to Chico for visits.

Tons of parks, lakes, trails, open space, forest, desert. Yes, you can find good schools.

That Cookeville TN looks amazing, Boise area winters aren't that bad or AZ or UT towns?

Old 11-20-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
So you’re looking for a college town? A “party” college town at that. Maybe the times have changed, but that was its reputation when my Dad taught at Chico State in the 1980’s, and my friends went there in the 1990’s?

Find a college with a good reputation near a major metro for your husband’s business/tech background and you’ll find your place. I’m biased and recommend Ann Arbor, MI, as you’re right next door to Detroit, but the winters might be too much for you saying you’re not cold weather people. Good luck with your search.
No, not looking for a party town. There's always been that element to parts of Chico but overall that is mostly the downtown surrounding areas.

Check out my first post around what parts we like

Old 11-20-2020, 12:26 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,412,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylie9409 View Post
No, not looking for a party town. There's always been that element to parts of Chico but overall that is mostly the downtown surrounding areas.

Check out my first post around what parts we like
I know you’re not, I read your first post. I was just merely making reference to Chico’s reputation. Whether still warranted or not?

Old 11-20-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:
I know you’re not, I read your first post. I was just merely making reference to Chico’s reputation. Whether still warranted or not?
Definitely a fair statement still! A lot of people move here to go to a "party school." It's much more timid in that sense since the 80's. The best part of the year is summer when it becomes a little more sleepy and college kids go home lol. All year there's things to do and you can do most of them year round due to the weather. The homelessness, crime, and traffic has all made it much worse and with COVID the economy is not looking so hot (a lot of jobs loss and Chico relies on the university, hospital, and a couple other major employers (Sierra Nevada Brewery, build.com, etc.) while the rest are majority small businesses and restaurants. That and an influx of people moving from the bay and Sacramento who can now work remote, purchase a house for a less than their current areas, and enjoy the nature of the area.

Old 11-21-2020, 08:46 PM

178 posts, read 506,247 times
I’d be curious what towns your husband has narrowed in on already?

Ft. Collins CO sounds like it could be right up your alley. I think about 170k people. Colorado State is there in town.

What about the Oregon college towns?

Flagstaff AZ? Chatanooga? Charlottesville? Charleston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.