Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Western state has the most Southern influence?
Arizona 29 70.73%
California 10 24.39%
Nevada 2 4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 12:57 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
Native Nevadan here.

My daughter went to college in Odessa Texas, traveled all over TX, AR, OK, NM for college volleyball and she returned full of southern charm and loved that polite, old-fashioned culture...especially the charming men .

She sees nothing southern in Nevada or California, although the ranching communities are more to her taste as far as attitudes and men lol....she laments the 'California attitude' of the younger generation here, specifically the young men :/
Thank you for your input, Chris. Native Nevadans are, perhaps, the rarest breed of Americans, so it is good to know there is at least one on City-Data. Also, it seems as if your daughter is doing exceptionally well, which is a testament to your parenting, so congratulations on that.

I was surprised to learn that a significant share of Nevada residents, whom I presume are native to the state, claim Italian as their primary ancestry, especially in the northern half of the state. Interestingly, in 1910, the largest immigrant group living in Nevada was Italian. I suspect U.S. Representative Mark Amodei is an example of a native Nevadan with Italian ancestry.

Links:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2020, 01:06 PM

309 posts, read 307,416 times
California. I have yet to meet a Black native whose folks aren't either from Texas or Louisiana...

Old 11-23-2020, 01:23 PM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_Watts View Post
California. I have yet to meet a Black native whose folks aren't either from Texas or Louisiana...
California is 5.5% black. Gotta look at the other 94.5%

I'd say Arizona.

didn't Cali receive mostly midwesterners from places like Kansas and Nebraska? California is its own place, even off the coast. Its like a country.

Nevada is "Nevada" Dune buggies, sunglasses, flip flops, laid back, pro-business. It's a mix of California aesthetic, culture, and southern values and it leans heavily towards California.

Arizona is most conservative, white and has a more established history than Nevada. It seems to have most uncommon with SEC country. Just the vibe.

Old 11-23-2020, 02:01 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,401,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
California is 5.5% black. Gotta look at the other 94.5%

I'd say Arizona.

didn't Cali receive mostly midwesterners from places like Kansas and Nebraska? California is its own place, even off the coast. Its like a country.

Nevada is "Nevada" Dune buggies, sunglasses, flip flops, laid back, pro-business. It's a mix of California aesthetic, culture, and southern values and it leans heavily towards California.

Arizona is most conservative, white and has a more established history than Nevada. It seems to have most uncommon with SEC country. Just the vibe.
Arizona is 3.3% non-Hispanic black, which is even less than California. There really isn't a centralized "black" part of Arizona to my knowledge.

I guess Arizona would be the most southern because it's geographically closest to the south, but I've seen very little of it in my visits there. The place is mostly California, Midwest, and Northeast transplants. \

I think historically, California has brought in more southerners throughout history. Even though that's probably overshadowed in modern times. I suppose AZ's politics as a state are most alike to the south between the three, but that's about all I can see.

Old 11-23-2020, 02:16 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,920,492 times
Considering that southern Arizona was a break away confederate territory, I would think Arizona has the most influence.

Old 11-23-2020, 03:33 PM

783 posts, read 836,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Thank you for your input, Chris. Native Nevadans are, perhaps, the rarest breed of Americans, so it is good to know there is at least one on City-Data. Also, it seems as if your daughter is doing exceptionally well, which is a testament to your parenting, so congratulations on that.

I was surprised to learn that a significant share of Nevada residents, whom I presume are native to the state, claim Italian as their primary ancestry, especially in the northern half of the state. Interestingly, in 1910, the largest immigrant group living in Nevada was Italian. I suspect U.S. Representative Mark Amodei is an example of a native Nevadan with Italian ancestry.

Links:
Ha ha! I know right? Native Nevadans are pretty rare... in my age group anyway....

My ancestry is French/English and all my family are Canadian here in the US, except for me. Although I did obtain Canadian citizenship just for fun a few years ago.

I didn't know about the Italian ancestry! Basque, American Indian, Canadian, German, Hispanic and Californian with some New Yorkers thrown in are the ancestries I am most familiar with in this area ha ha! Now that I think about some of the names of big ranches around here and names of museums and parks...there definitely is quite a few very Italian names associated with them....

Thanks for the links, I will look into the Italian angle more.

As far as southern influence...my daughter came back from college a more polite person....uses y'all liberally in speaking, wears cowboy boots and listens to country music. More so than I, who worked on the dude ranches here growing up...I highly recommend sending your kids to a southern college

Old 11-23-2020, 03:40 PM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Arizona is 3.3% non-Hispanic black, which is even less than California. There really isn't a centralized "black" part of Arizona to my knowledge.

I guess Arizona would be the most southern because it's geographically closest to the south, but I've seen very little of it in my visits there. The place is mostly California, Midwest, and Northeast transplants. \

I think historically, California has brought in more southerners throughout history. Even though that's probably overshadowed in modern times. I suppose AZ's politics as a state are most alike to the south between the three, but that's about all I can see.
It's actually 4.4% and if we're using the black population as a metric at all (really shouldn't be the case for any of these states), it should be Nevada which is much blacker (9.3%) than CA and AZ anyway. Many of them are by way of CA though.

Californias brought in more of everybody. Its California. It has much more of a layered and elaborate cultural template that doesn't let any one or two influences predominate.

Old 11-23-2020, 07:32 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,906 times
A large percentage of Californians have Oklahoma and Texas roots, whether they are Southern or not is a different debate.

I would venture to guess a majority of non-Hispanic Caucasians in Bakersfield have Oklahoma or Texas roots.

Arizona is my opinion has far, far, far more Midwestern influence and does feel Southern at all.

Arizona does not feel like it has a Southern influence at all, a majority of people I have known in Arizona have Midwestern roots and some from the West Coast. In my years in Arizona, I met very few Southerners.

Nevada doesn't feel Southern at all in my opinion. Reno feels very Northern.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...622-story.html

https://www.okhistory.org/publicatio...hp?entry=OK008

Old 11-23-2020, 11:30 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
How is Oklahoma not the South?

And for that matter, Odessa and Midland? I know one guy from Odessa and he is just as Southern as the people I've met from Houston.
The culture in Odessa/Midland is very different from the kind of classic Southern culture you see in Louisiana, Mississippi or South Carolina. The entire vibe of West Texas, including the landscape, cuisine, etc is more Western than Southern. Some people even say the West begins at Fort Worth. Culturally Odessa is very different than Baton Rouge, Charleston or Birmingham.

Old 11-24-2020, 09:12 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The culture in Odessa/Midland is very different from the kind of classic Southern culture you see in Louisiana, Mississippi or South Carolina. The entire vibe of West Texas, including the landscape, cuisine, etc is more Western than Southern. Some people even say the West begins at Fort Worth. Culturally Odessa is very different than Baton Rouge, Charleston or Birmingham.
While that may be true, you could also argue that Charleston and Savannah are from different from Atlanta, Birmingham and Charlotte from a cultural standpoint (i.e., Lowcountry vs. Piedmont). The northern Florida cities of Jacksonville, Pensacola and Tallahassee are a whole 'nother animal, in my opinion; those cities are Southern in terms of demographics, economics, politics, etc., but have none of the soft cultural elements of the true South, such as genteelness, kindness or neighborliness, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.