Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 03:43 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times

Advertisements

Yes, I looked several area I had lived, and the boundaries are pretty accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2020, 03:14 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Courser6 View Post
DC Maryland isn't Southern either IMHO, many states in the North had Jim Crow laws.

The one thing I never understand (this in general, not directed at you) is why the South has this precedent applied to so many border areas. It's as if a little Southern influence is more relevant than any Northern influence. Plus the census bureau has almost comical regional definitions but many people use this as their source for regional discussion.
Historically Maryland was southern. It was initially settled by the same folks who settled Virginia and the Carolinas. English Cavaliers. The only reason it didn't join the Confederacy was because Lincoln threw the state legislature in jail. They couldn't have DC surrounded by Confederate states.

Old 11-26-2020, 05:58 PM

23 posts, read 11,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Historically Maryland was southern. It was initially settled by the same folks who settled Virginia and the Carolinas. English Cavaliers. The only reason it didn't join the Confederacy was because Lincoln threw the state legislature in jail. They couldn't have DC surrounded by Confederate states.
You are correct about the legislature. However the people of Maryland were roughly split on the idea of secession with a lean more toward the Union. But I disagree that Maryland was fully Southern. This map points out what I feel Maryland has always been, a Northern state with some Southern ties.

Old 11-26-2020, 07:01 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,129 times
Quote:
DC Maryland isn't Southern either IMHO, many states in the North had Jim Crow laws.

The one thing I never understand (this in general, not directed at you) is why the South has this precedent applied to so many border areas. It's as if a little Southern influence is more relevant than any Northern influence. Plus the census bureau has almost comical regional definitions but many people use this as their source for regional discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
It's not South period.

Jim Crow was nationwide.
The entire country had segregation, but only the South had Jim Crow laws. In the part of the country outside of the South, it was businesses that either chose to or chose not to segregate. As for housing, it was private developers who chose either to or chose not to put racial covenants in deed restrictions. It was not an official government policy.

In the South, segregation was legally mandated, and that is what Jim Crow Laws are. Below is a map of school segregation, states in red MANDATED segregation.

Old 11-26-2020, 08:04 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,575,213 times
Quote:

Just curious, which Northern states had Jim Crow laws?

Old 11-27-2020, 08:33 AM

870 posts, read 1,568,534 times
I found this interesting article that discusses de facto segregation in the North.

https://upfront.scholastic.com/issue...rth.html#1300L

Old 11-27-2020, 09:17 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,092,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
The entire country had segregation, but only the South had Jim Crow laws. In the part of the country outside of the South, it was businesses that either chose to or chose not to segregate. As for housing, it was private developers who chose either to or chose not to put racial covenants in deed restrictions. It was not an official government policy.

In the South, segregation was legally mandated, and that is what Jim Crow Laws are. Below is a map of school segregation, states in red MANDATED segregation.
Jim Crow in a nutshell. The South ( excluding MO ) just put legal paper to it , outside the South legal practices. Jim Crow America .

Old 11-27-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Jim Crow in a nutshell. The South ( excluding MO ) just put legal paper to it , outside the South legal practices. Jim Crow America .
Nope.

Old 11-27-2020, 09:57 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,401,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post

So going by that, Missouri is a southern state too?

Old 11-27-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
So going by that, Missouri is a southern state too?
I think so, it's clearly a border state. Would you consider Mark Twain a Southerner, as he grew up in MO? Kansas City feels very Midwestern to me. St. Louis has a Midwestern feel today, but it's history is that it's early growth was from Southerners coming up on riverboats from New Orleans and other point South. I can't exactly put my finger on it, but it still has more of a Southern feel to me than KC. For the more rural areas, my best (not perfect) dividing line is somewhere around I-70, with points North feeling more Midwestern, and points South feeling more Southern. The Bootheel is the only part that feels Deep South to me.

As for OP's map, it is interesting that a lot of these regions have not changed much over the last 80 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.