Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 10:53 AM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Have you checked out Castle Rock yet? The city literally sits in a bowl with hills all around it. It's 45 mins to an hour from DIA depending on the time of day. With your budget you could also live in a place like Evergreen or Conifer (if you really like snow and a long drive to the airport).
They did mention diversity being important though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2020, 10:59 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Have you checked out Castle Rock yet? The city literally sits in a bowl with hills all around it. It's 45 mins to an hour from DIA depending on the time of day. With your budget you could also live in a place like Evergreen or Conifer (if you really like snow and a long drive to the airport).
Castle Rock is gorgeous, underrated beauty. But, not super diverse and I mentioned in the Denver thread that a friend's minority wife had some issues out there.

Old 11-30-2020, 11:06 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Places that have gorgeous summer weather have cold winters, with very few exceptions, and they tend to be long winters. The only places with good weather year round are the California coastline south of Santa Barbara and the assorted islands of Hawaii.

Be aware that San Diego County gets blistering hot in the summer if you are any further than 5-10 miles from the coast

Old 11-30-2020, 11:08 AM

841 posts, read 825,691 times
Boulder?? Much closer than Denver to the striking scenery, but also crazy expensive. How nice does your house need to be? LOL.

Old 11-30-2020, 11:09 AM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
They did mention diversity being important though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Castle Rock is gorgeous, underrated beauty. But, not super diverse and I mentioned in the Denver thread that a friend's minority wife had some issues out there.
Fair point. Aurora is more diverse, and the southeastern part of the city sits 500-1000 feet above downtown Denver. In their budget, great schools, expansive views of the high peaks, and an easy commute to DIA, but 30-40 mins further from the foothills.

Edit:
This is a distant view of some of the Front Range peaks taken a few minutes ago close to my house. Sorry for the quality. It's a cell phone pic.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 11-30-2020 at 12:21 PM..

Old 11-30-2020, 11:16 AM

330 posts, read 149,377 times
Have you considered the Eastern Sacramento suburbs. I think these towns would check a lot of your boxes and are located 1/2 way between the Bay Area and Lake Tahoe / Sierras.

Old 11-30-2020, 12:13 PM

2,857 posts, read 2,168,427 times
What about Albuquerque? Not sure about the schools but should check the other boxes.

Old 11-30-2020, 01:14 PM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCityIsBetterThanYours View Post
Have you considered the Eastern Sacramento suburbs. I think these towns would check a lot of your boxes and are located 1/2 way between the Bay Area and Lake Tahoe / Sierras.
Ohhh yeah. Sacramento is a great suggestion. Very diverse, good schools in the area, lots of amazing stuff around, and the Bay Area is so close.

Old 11-30-2020, 01:35 PM

7 posts, read 3,788 times
Wow, thank you all!! It seems that CA and CO are getting a lot of votes. Beautiful picture bluescreen73!

Does anyone know how state taxes would work in this situation? Since I'd be spending about 70% of my time outside of Texas--which thankfully has no state tax--would I be subject to those other state taxes even if I make all my money in TX (and from companies based in TX) and still maintain a home in TX?

Old 11-30-2020, 02:26 PM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adab View Post
Wow, thank you all!! It seems that CA and CO are getting a lot of votes. Beautiful picture bluescreen73!

Does anyone know how state taxes would work in this situation? Since I'd be spending about 70% of my time outside of Texas--which thankfully has no state tax--would I be subject to those other state taxes even if I make all my money in TX (and from companies based in TX) and still maintain a home in TX?
Legally, yes, I believe you'd have to pay income tax in the state you're residing in for most of the year. Voters chose to lower Colorado's flat income tax rate from 4.63% to 4.55% a few weeks ago. Not sure when that goes into effect.

CA's progressive income taxes, OTOH, SUCK - especially for high-earners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.