Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 05:05 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,591,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
I was going to write a post that said almost the same thing as you.

I have found that West Coast liberals tend to be more extreme and into new age type concepts than liberals in Boston or NYC. I would say the exception to that rule would be Vermont.
Not true. NYC is filled with "SJWs".
In my neighborhood group on FB, most people are extremely liberal on both culture and economics. Same thing with most of the politically active people I know in real life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 05:26 PM

822 posts, read 2,201,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I found the class system is much less rigid in the Western half of the country compared to the Eastern half, especially the Northeast. People in New York, Boston, etc tend to stick to their "groups" and don't branch out nearly as much. Like you'll find a guy who is a life-long bartender, whose brothers are all bartenders and their father and grandfather were both bartenders. That kind of thing. So I agree the East is much more traditional, as is the Midwest.
One thing I noticed moving back to Ohio after living in Northern Cali for years was how top-down and authoritarian most workplaces are compared to out west. You're expected to defer to your boss on pretty much everything, and are constantly made to feel you're lucky to have your job (even if it's a crappy minimum wage gig), whereas most places out west the work structure is much more loose and most owners/managers go out of their way to accommodate their workers.

I very much understand and agree w/ what you are saying here. When I lived in Ohio it was very much as you say a more "class" based system where you were judged somewhat on what your job was. I remember where I grew up in Kentucky my mom told me that a guy at our church was a waiter and my first thought was that being a waiter wasn't a "grown up" job. I thought the same when I heard that another friend of mine's dad was a bartender. Living here in Southern Nevada it is perfectly normal for someone's mom to be a cocktail waitress or someone's dad to be a bartender or some other type of service industry job. That was also the case when I lived in Oregon. It doesn't seem as much like people in general put as much weight on what your job is when you live in the Western United States.

Old 12-03-2020, 05:48 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,529,246 times
I find easterners to have more character, more likely to dress up, more blunt, less happy go lucky, less outdoorsy.

Old 12-03-2020, 07:10 PM

6,804 posts, read 6,025,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Not true. NYC is filled with "SJWs".
In my neighborhood group on FB, most people are extremely liberal on both culture and economics. Same thing with most of the politically active people I know in real life.
I was going to challenge the same thing, especially since AOC went to BU and represents NY. Pressley is a member of “The Squad” as well. And with Thanksgiving recently passed, Alice’s Restaurant still stands out to me as a classic and timeless example of eastern liberal-ism and humor.

Old 12-03-2020, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I was going to challenge the same thing, especially since AOC went to BU and represents NY. Pressley is a member of “The Squad” as well. And with Thanksgiving recently passed, Alice’s Restaurant still stands out to me as a classic and timeless example of eastern liberal-ism and humor.
Jamal Bowmann and Bill de Blasio are representing New York too right now.

There is functionally no difference from San Francisco and NYC in terms of politics

Old 12-03-2020, 08:54 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,401,415 times
Controversial.

But IMHO people who were raised in the west tend to be "softer" than those who grow up in the east.

The perfect weather in much of the west plays a role, but I also think the laid back culture also is a part of this; the lack of expectations for people. In the east weather is much more extreme and the culture is less laid back, whether we're talking the south or north.

Old 12-03-2020, 09:28 PM

1,300 posts, read 959,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post

African Americans in the Northeast have lived there for more generations and have stronger ties to Virginia and the Carolinas while those in the West are only a few generations removed from the South and have stronger ties to Texas/Louisiana/Arkansas. Because of this, the "blaccent" or AAVE is more pronounced or closer to the Southern accent compared to that found in Northeastern AA's.

Many Northeastern AA's like Jay-Z, Ghostface Killah, Damon Wayans, etc., sound relatively Northeastern without a strong Southern twang or drawl for instance. Of course, suburban AA's out West out will often speak with a Californian/Valley accent that's also removed from the South.

Northeast Whites likewise, have closer ties to their European heritages, compared to Western Whites. And there's more European immigrants overall. Of course, this is changing and balancing out as modern culture becomes relatively homogenous.

Overall, I feel regional differences in general are fading away and the biggest disparities are between urban and rural people in any part of the country.

With regard to African American accents, having lived in both NYC and LA I can say I find the opposite to be true. And to a strong degree. In SoCal unless you're in the "hood" proper, the accent and speech of the black population is frequently not distinguishable from the white population. They are also more culturally integrated and individualistic. This is not at all the case in NY where I find the groups to be more segregated and culturally less similar.

I agree that northeast whites are more "ethnic" and either catholic or Jewish religiously. In nyc the Hispanic population is mostly dominican & puerto rican, while in LA its overwhelmingly mestizo, primarily mexican.

In NYC, I am much move likely to hear British, french, German and other 1st world european accents on a daily basis than in LA.

Old 12-03-2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
With regard to African American accents, having lived in both NYC and LA I can say I find the opposite to be true. And to a strong degree. In SoCal unless you're in the "hood" proper, the accent and speech of the black population is frequently not distinguishable from the white population. They are also more culturally integrated and individualistic. This is not at all the case in NY where I find the groups to be more segregated and culturally less similar.

I agree that northeast whites are more "ethnic" and either catholic or Jewish religiously. In nyc the Hispanic population is mostly dominican & puerto rican, while in LA its overwhelmingly mestizo, primarily mexican.

In NYC, I am much move likely to hear British, french, German and other 1st world european accents on a daily basis than in LA.
Not really true anymore, it's more like 50% Caribbean vs 50% mestizo (with maybe a little more of the former).

Old 12-04-2020, 09:10 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,534,932 times
Interesting and glad you brought up.

Not the case for the majority of people out West but, yes, I noticed my share of “soft” / more easily offended guys out West than back East. Fair share/more of tomboys as well...almost, not quite, as if the sex roles were reversed in certain situations.

The classic experience I love to share was when I was in a sports bar in CA. One of the players on the football Giants did not go after a loose ball and I told my group of friends, “what a pu*sy”....a few seconds later some “guy?” came up to me and said I should watch my language as there were women nearby. A) sports bar, not the Sistine Chapel; B) my context was based on the player’s aversion to physical contact, not female anatomy....I assure you this never, ever would happen on the East Coast.

I’m such a Brut...lol

We have different types of weirdos back East...just this past week in Miami some complete nut job lady whom I never met before out of the blue accused me of stalking her, while I sat down at a coffee shop minding my own business. I asked her if she was mistaking me for someone else before she continued ranting and I informed her she would have to shed 25 years and 30 pounds for me to stalk her. I seem to attract all kinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Controversial.

But IMHO people who were raised in the west tend to be "softer" than those who grow up in the east.

The perfect weather in much of the west plays a role, but I also think the laid back culture also is a part of this; the lack of expectations for people. In the east weather is much more extreme and the culture is less laid back, whether we're talking the south or north.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-04-2020 at 10:16 AM..

Old 12-04-2020, 02:03 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,529,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Controversial.

Probably some truth to that. I notice westerners are a little less eager to engage, it's not good or bad, it just is.

When I'm east, especially in Miami, strangers seem very willing to engage

Last edited by Gaylord_Focker; 12-04-2020 at 02:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.