Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 02:57 AM

822 posts, read 2,203,212 times

Advertisements

Are there any somewhat distinct differences you notice between people who grow up in the eastern vs the western United States?

In my own experience I think people who grow up in the eastern US tend to move at a faster pace and be more tradition based which seems logical as that is the older part of the country.

People I meet from the western US tend to be move at a slower pace, and not be as traditional in general.

Granted neither of these could obviously apply to everyone from either side of the I-35 (roughly), however; these seem to be some of the general differences I noticed between people who grow up on the different sides of the US.

Have you noticed any in general? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 06:42 AM

7,410 posts, read 6,556,774 times
I think one needs to refine this down even further as there are differences between East Coasters (Northeast v South) and West Coasters (SF v SoCal) etc.

In general, metro NY’ers seem to get along on the Westside of LA and SF while people from New England have an affinity for San Diego. Again, generalizations and plenty of exceptions. I cannot speak for the South and did not pick up enough quirks from the PNW after only visiting, not living there.

Aside from that, the biggest clash of cultures/differences from my experience on both coasts are between those from the NY metro area (does not include upstate NY) and good portions of SoCal.

NY metro area people are more aggressive, faster paced, direct, more sarcastic and quick witted, more likely to keep a commitment and be punctual and/or not flake, more bull in the China shop (vs more easily offended/PC types), ask more personal questions upfront and seem to develop more meaningful relationships (vs acquaintances) faster, are not afraid to call out BS in front of another’s face v behind their back, use their car horn, more decisive (know what they will order by the time they get to front of the line at Starbucks vs only beginning to give thought to that once they get there, holding up others behind them), depending upon person are typically more urban activity motivated rather than nature oriented, tend to be more passionate and vocal about their sports teams, more likely to cling to bands from the past, will use ketchup on burgers and mustard on hot dogs rather than vice versa. These are a few items that come to mind.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-01-2020 at 07:22 AM..

Old 12-01-2020, 09:35 AM

8,865 posts, read 6,874,754 times
In the West, only a recent transplant from the East would wear a suit jacket to a casual gathering.

Old 12-01-2020, 11:08 AM

822 posts, read 858,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
In the West, only a recent transplant from the East would wear a suit jacket to a casual gathering.
I don't know anyone here that wears a suit jacket to a casual gathering. never saw that happen

Old 12-01-2020, 12:22 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,874,754 times
Maybe it's just in movies.

Old 12-01-2020, 12:26 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
Westerners are more accustomed to long drives.

Old 12-01-2020, 12:38 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
I grew up in the East, lived in the SW for many yrs. People in the East are more uptight, more "wound up," even in parts of the SE (larger cities) it can be like that. In the SW, it's cool to be more "chill," and not get upset over things. Just move on and don't fret too much. East coast more down to earth, West not so much. E. Coast people will come out w/ things, speak their minds more vs in the W. not so much. Some of the differences I saw.

Old 12-01-2020, 01:55 PM

783 posts, read 840,129 times
Having lived in Nevada all my life, when I travel I really notice RULES.

We don't have a whole lot of signs everywhere, fees to get into a nature park or RULES like back East. No sign to warn you of the mountain lion living on the hill behind your house that you hike on, no signs when you go out on the BLM managed lands and ride ATV's or bike ride...heck in my city..most of the trails are leash-free for dogs except in the city itself.

We are also very live and let live and mind our own business, but that might be more a Nevada thing because Californians can be uptight about RULES and neighbors and they are even further west lol....

East coast is definitely more uptight, fast-paced, stressful and RULES when I visit...also cars honk like it's an OK thing to do...not so in Nevada

You take care of yourself, more self reliance here and to me there is definitely more freedom and it's hard to get used to alot of the restrictions and rules in other locales...but it could be bigger city differences as well, I have had people from Seattle go totally off the wall crazy and call 911 because our Golden Retriever was off-leash on a beach where the locals all walk their dogs off-leash...they called 911 and screamed curse words at us! LOL!

Noone does that around here, people are respectful and friendly to each other, we look strangers in the eye and say 'hi' and btw 911 or a police officer ain't responding to an off-leash Golden Retriever...they do not care, they would just throw a ball for him and pat him on the head

Last edited by ChrisMT; 12-01-2020 at 02:29 PM..

Old 12-01-2020, 02:43 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,602,552 times
Honestly there are a ton of West Coast transplants here in New York and I cannot tell the difference about them behaviorally.

Old 12-01-2020, 02:44 PM

783 posts, read 840,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Honestly there are a ton of West Coast transplants here in New York and I cannot tell the difference about them behaviorally.
Not even how they talk?

The New Yorkers are pretty obvious in Nevada and we have got a lot of them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.