Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 09:53 AM

402 posts, read 371,069 times

Advertisements

The top ten for those who don't wanna read the article:

10. Seattle
9. Dallas
8. Columbus, OH
7. San Diego
6. Washington DC
5. San Antonio
4.Lansing, MI
3. Richmond, VA
2. Orlando, FL
1. Raleigh, NC

Source
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2020, 09:54 AM

402 posts, read 371,069 times
Not sure I agree with the list in it's entirety, as some notable cities (Atlanta, Charlotte, Philadelphia) left off.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:06 AM

21,701 posts, read 12,848,727 times
Iffy list

Old 12-13-2020, 10:08 AM

21,701 posts, read 12,848,727 times
Iffy list but not a bad one. Could be true.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:14 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,723,954 times
Definitely a sketchy list.

I would love to know who was the individual that put it together and what criteria they used.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:17 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,723,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Iffy list but not a bad one. Could be true.
Some of them like Washington DC, Dallas and even Raleigh I can maybe understand

But places like Seattle, Lansing and San Antonio are way out in left field.

Old 12-13-2020, 11:46 AM

93,618 posts, read 124,322,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Some of them like Washington DC, Dallas and even Raleigh I can maybe understand

But places like Seattle, Lansing and San Antonio are way out in left field.
In terms of Lansing, I believe it actually has a black educational attainment that is above the national black percentage(BajanYankee had a list in one of the threads). I also think its metro black median household income is around the national black figure and there is a visible black business community in the area. Joel Ferguson and Magic Johnson have some input in that regard.

Also, the Waverly/West Lansing area(Waverly Schools) is an area with a substantial black middle class. Some live in East Lansing, Holt/Delhi Township and Meridian Township/Okemos, Haslett and even Grand Ledge(Al Horford of the 76ers graduated from its HS), etc.

It is a state capital/major university area with a decent manufacturing base(GM). So, I can see how there are favorable aspects to living there for some black families. I’m only familiar with the area due to going to school in the area for a few years.

Old 12-13-2020, 01:27 PM

93,618 posts, read 124,322,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In terms of Lansing, I believe it actually has a black educational attainment that is above the national black percentage(BajanYankee had a list in one of the threads). I also think its metro black median household income is around the national black figure and there is a visible black business community in the area. Joel Ferguson and Magic Johnson have some input in that regard.

Also, the Waverly/West Lansing area(Waverly Schools) is an area with a substantial black middle class. Some live in East Lansing, Holt/Delhi Township and Meridian Township/Okemos, Haslett and even Grand Ledge(Al Horford of the 76ers graduated from its HS), etc.

It is a state capital/major university area with a decent manufacturing base(GM). So, I can see how there are favorable aspects to living there for some black families. I’m only familiar with the area due to going to school in the area for a few years.
Check this out around 1:30: https://www.cbsnews.com/video/magic-...n-a-mission/#x

Forgot about Mr. Eaton...

Old 12-13-2020, 01:40 PM

5,524 posts, read 8,784,920 times
Wish I knew more about 1) all the factors that went into this list 2) how the factors were weighted 3) whether this list is just city proper or city and suburbs. Those things would make a huge difference. Also there is nothing much about public education, which is crucial for families. I would be very leery, for example, of putting my kids in Columbus or DC public schools, though probably not in some of their suburban systems.

Basically, because of all this it seems a pretty random list. And of course, the QOL in any of these cities will depend a lot on family income. Two college-educated professionals could probably be comfortable in any of these spots. But a single working-class Mom? Her choices would be more limited for a good life in some of these places.

An ‘A’ for effort, but it’s a list that’s data-lite and very hit-or-miss. A starting point for families looking to relocate. But nothing more.

Old 12-13-2020, 04:22 PM

14,704 posts, read 14,677,787 times
The article didn't really offer much depth for their choices, outside of Lansing. San Diego and Seattle are expensive with shrinking black communities, so outside of being nice places to live overall, not sure why they would be on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.