Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much of the Midwest do you consider to also be part of the Eastern United States?
All of the Midwest 3 3.53%
All of the Midwest except for the Frontier strip 4 4.71%
All of the Midwest that's east of the Mississippi River 24 28.24%
All of the Midwest that's in the Eastern Time Zone 18 21.18%
Ohio only 5 5.88%
None of the Midwest 24 28.24%
I don't even consider West Virginia to be in the eastern United States 3 3.53%
Other (please explain in your post) 4 4.71%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 06:05 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Agreed that the Mississippi river is the so called demarcation between east and west. Because it is the only thing that really is a physical barrier/ bifurcation north to south in the country.

In reality, the dry line which occurs at roughly the 100th meridian is the real line between east and west because it is an atmospheric bifurcation rather than a physical one it doesn't get credit.
I’d say once you get beyond the Mississippi River Valley you enter the west. Like Kansas City is more like the cities to its west like Denver than to its east like Cincinnati. But along the actual river (especially in the lower and middle Mississippi) it’s more Eastern like since those towns are deeply tied to the Ohio. Like St Louis is very tied to the Ohio River towns of Louisville and Cincinnati. It’s an eastward facing city historically and culturally.

Even Minneapolis betting beyond the part of the River than handeled River traffic is Western.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 06:22 PM

17,803 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I’d say once you get beyond the Mississippi River Valley you enter the west. Like Kansas City is more like the cities to its west like Denver than to its east like Cincinnati. But along the actual river (especially in the lower and middle Mississippi) it’s more Eastern like since those towns are deeply tied to the Ohio. Like St Louis is very tied to the Ohio River towns of Louisville and Cincinnati. It’s an eastward facing city historically and culturally.

Even Minneapolis betting beyond the part of the River than handeled River traffic is Western.
That's interesting that you have that perspective. Living out here on the plains I don't really think anybody really sees KCMO as "western" in the same sense that they do Denver, but it certainly isn't exactly like St. Louis either... so I can see why somebody from the east might think that KCMO is "western".

It would be interesting to see what somebody in the west (say Denver) thought about KCMO.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:08 PM

26,422 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
That's interesting that you have that perspective. Living out here on the plains I don't really think anybody really sees KCMO as "western" in the same sense that they do Denver, but it certainly isn't exactly like St. Louis either... so I can see why somebody from the east might think that KCMO is "western".

It would be interesting to see what somebody in the west (say Denver) thought about KCMO.
Well, almost all trees in Johnson County, KS were planted in neighborhoods, far fewer were naturally occurring. In the eastern US many neighborhoods are built into the woods. I obtained more perspective after living in various areas of the US. It's basically all about the Mississippi River generally dividing the US into the West (fewer trees) and East (more trees).

Old 12-11-2020, 09:28 AM

9,173 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Default How much of the Midwest do you consider to also be part of the Eastern United States?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusco View Post
I don't think this one has been done in poll form before.
All of the Midwest that is EAST of the Mississippi River is what is normally considered the eastern United States (if you divide the country in half). Indeed, the Southeast goes all the way to the Mississippi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_United_States

The Eastern US includes the Southeast, Northeast and the majority of the Great Lakes States - all of Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin and part of Minnesota.

Old 12-11-2020, 09:56 AM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
All of the eastern time zone east of Illinois and Michigan and including all of Florida is the east. Certainly Ohio is and Indiana is transitional as is eastern Kentucky. Tennessee is more South than Midwest.

Old 12-11-2020, 09:21 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
All of the Midwest that is EAST of the Mississippi River is what is normally considered the eastern United States (if you divide the country in half). Indeed, the Southeast goes all the way to the Mississippi.

The Eastern US includes the Southeast, Northeast and the majority of the Great Lakes States - all of Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin and part of Minnesota.
No disrespect meant, but how would you divide MN between Eastern US & Western US? The Mississippi does not bisect Minnesota.

Old 12-11-2020, 09:25 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post

So aren't you saying here that the Midwest simply does not exist? The OP is asking specifically about the *Midwest*, not the Eastern and Western halves of the US.

Old 12-12-2020, 08:43 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,853,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
So aren't you saying here that the Midwest simply does not exist? The OP is asking specifically about the *Midwest*, not the Eastern and Western halves of the US.
The Midwest exists, but outside the concept of the Eastern and Western US. It overlaps and is used in a different context, namely as an actual region of the country.

Old 12-12-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
No disrespect meant, but how would you divide MN between Eastern US & Western US? The Mississippi does not bisect Minnesota.
You could either say northern Minnesota is neither Eastern nor Western. Or you could call it Canada for ships and giggles. Either way, it is ambiguous on some level.

Old 12-12-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:

“western” is a term used loosely to define a number of things that may indeed fit Denver and not KC. “The Western United States” is a different concept than simply “western”.

I think the main issue seems to be people haven’t heard the terms Eastern US and Western US. All this discussion of “East Coast” and “western” makes me think that is the case. Granted there is nuance in how language is used, and the devil is in the details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.