Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much of the Midwest do you consider to also be part of the Eastern United States?
All of the Midwest 3 3.53%
All of the Midwest except for the Frontier strip 4 4.71%
All of the Midwest that's east of the Mississippi River 24 28.24%
All of the Midwest that's in the Eastern Time Zone 18 21.18%
Ohio only 5 5.88%
None of the Midwest 24 28.24%
I don't even consider West Virginia to be in the eastern United States 3 3.53%
Other (please explain in your post) 4 4.71%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 06:14 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
No disrespect meant, but how would you divide MN between Eastern US & Western US? The Mississippi does not bisect Minnesota.
The Mississippi River runs 680 miles entirely within the state of Minnesota. A lot of Americans don't even realize that the headwaters of the Mississippi are in northern part of the state.

In my opinion, if we're dividing the US into two parts (one Eastern, one Western), then the divide is at the Great Plains. So all of the MIMAL states (Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, and Louisiana) are in the East, everything to the west of those is in the West.

All of the states that border the Mississippi River are too green/forested or have too much heavy agriculture to be considered "Western".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2020, 09:09 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
The Great Plains is several hundred miles wide and seems to have little value as a distinctive divider historically or otherwise. Is Nebraska simply in no-man’s land, neither East nor West, neither fish nor fowl?

Old 12-12-2020, 09:58 PM

1,351 posts, read 894,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
The Mississippi River runs 680 miles entirely within the state of Minnesota. A lot of Americans don't even realize that the headwaters of the Mississippi are in northern part of the state.

In my opinion, if we're dividing the US into two parts (one Eastern, one Western), then the divide is at the Great Plains. So all of the MIMAL states (Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, and Louisiana) are in the East, everything to the west of those is in the West.

All of the states that border the Mississippi River are too green/forested or have too much heavy agriculture to be considered "Western".
Iowa has very little forest. That's true both historically and today. Of the states that border the Mississippi its the most tied to the Great Plains, with Missouri and Minnesota following it up. Iowa is wide open spaces and agriculture.

Old 12-13-2020, 07:29 AM

17,792 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
The Great Plains is several hundred miles wide and seems to have little value as a distinctive divider historically or otherwise. Is Nebraska simply in no-man’s land, neither East nor West, neither fish nor fowl?
Nebraska is an example of the "dry line" divider. Eastern Nebraska is all in corn. Much like Iowa and Illinois (which must be noted is east of the Mississippi). By the time you get about halfway across the state you start seeing wheat more and more. In the western fourth of the state you start seeing wheat give way to ranch land. This is typical of all the plains states.

But as you say, there is nothing abrupt in the landscape. Just slow subtle change. But if you put a blindfold on in Lincoln and then took it off at say North Platte you might notice that it is more arid.

Old 12-13-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Nebraska is an example of the "dry line" divider. Eastern Nebraska is all in corn. Much like Iowa and Illinois (which must be noted is east of the Mississippi). By the time you get about halfway across the state you start seeing wheat more and more. In the western fourth of the state you start seeing wheat give way to ranch land. This is typical of all the plains states.

But as you say, there is nothing abrupt in the landscape. Just slow subtle change. But if you put a blindfold on in Lincoln and then took it off at say North Platte you might notice that it is more arid.
So you got Lincoln in the Eastern US and North Platte in the Western US based on aridity? Legit question.

Old 12-13-2020, 08:15 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
None. But that's in part due to the fact that I don't consider the "Eastern US" to be a region.

Old 12-13-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
None. But that's in part due to the fact that I don't consider the "Eastern US" to be a region.
It’s not a region, it’s an area.

Old 12-13-2020, 08:35 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
It’s not a region, it’s an area.
Region:

Quote:
an area or division, especially part of a country or the world having definable characteristics but not always fixed boundaries.
https://www.lexico.com/definition/region

I know that there is an Eastern US as a physical area, but I'm referring to use of the term in standard speech and cultural identity.

Old 12-13-2020, 08:40 AM

I don’t think I’ve ever heard the phrase “Eastern United States” used as anything except as a physical area. One that parts, but not all, of the Midwest fits into.

Old 12-13-2020, 08:49 AM

17,792 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
So you got Lincoln in the Eastern US and North Platte in the Western US based on aridity? Legit question.
I live in the area I am describing except for I am in Oklahoma. Obviously many people would not accept this (aridity) as being a "legit" way to split east and west but it is a real phenomenon. In Oklahoma the west half of the state is different than the east half of the state. It is probably more demarcated than Nebraska.

Here is a map of rainfall in Oklahoma. As you move across the state it becomes drier. The terrain, plants and animals tend to change along with this rainfall pattern. As does agriculture. For instance, the two lighter green areas are where we grow wheat. West of that you see more and more ranching.

Another fun one is that past the lightest green areas you routinely see tumbleweeds in the wintertime. You rarely see tumbleweeds in the green area and I've only seen a handful of them in the light green area.

In the mauve and blue areas of eastern Oklahoma that is mountains and pine forest and some deciduous forest. The western parts of Oklahoma certainly aren't like that. They have gators down in that southeast corner of Oklahoma and we have antelopes in the western part of the state.

In the brown part of Oklahoma and into some of the yellow area you routinely see roadrunners. If you get into the eastern part of the yellow and on east there aren't any.

Finally, from an historical standpoint, the people who settled Oklahoma tend to come from different areas. Eastern Oklahoma mostly southerners, Northern Oklahoma mostly northern plains and Missouri. Southern Oklahoma, mostly people coming up from Texas.

These are some of the ways the aridity affects this area.

Last edited by eddie gein; 12-13-2020 at 09:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.