Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 11:08 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times

Advertisements

All of Florida, and most of Oklahoma/Texas are the South
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Have to disagree. I’ve spent a lot of time in Texas. Just spent a week in Dallas. Yes, it’s very southern. Every state in the South has a different southerness to it.
Even in Austin the natives say "y'all".
The white Southerner way that you only hear in the South

Old 12-13-2020, 11:34 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,392,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I feel more comfortable including Southern Indiana in Dixie than having bread basket extend that far south and west in Texas and NM. Was the author from California?
Why is that? Have you been to eastern New Mexico or the Texas pan handle? Those are very great plains-ian to me. They are extremely flat, semi-arid, with agriculture dominated economies. When you get into the mountainous areas where El Paso and Albuquerque are you get to the southwestern culture.

What would this area of the country be if not breadbasket? Does this look like the south or the southwest to you?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/DtaVgypvsEyd9jdJ7

Old 12-13-2020, 11:48 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Even in Austin the natives say "y'all".
The white Southerner way that you only hear in the South
Y’all are just talking about accents?

Old 12-13-2020, 11:53 AM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times
The idea Dixie swings all the way up to Indianapolis is a stretch, and I suspect it doesn't include enough of Texas but I'll let Texans chime in on that issue.

I also think southern Appalachia is a separate and distinct culture from "Dixie," maybe one could argue in the alternative it's just a sub-set of Dixie. For instance I'm not sure I'd include any part of WV to be "Dixie" considering WV essentially seceded from Virginia to avoid being part of the Confederacy.

Old 12-13-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
The idea Dixie swings all the way up to Indianapolis is a stretch, and I suspect it doesn't include enough of Texas but I'll let Texans chime in on that issue.

I also think southern Appalachia is a separate and distinct culture from "Dixie," maybe one could argue in the alternative it's just a sub-set of Dixie. For instance I'm not sure I'd include any part of WV to be "Dixie" considering WV essentially seceded from Virginia to avoid being part of the Confederacy.
WV fits in pretty well with the modern idea of the South

Old 12-13-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Y’all are just talking about accents?
If an area still has Southern accents in 2020, it is solidly the South as far as I'm concerned

Old 12-13-2020, 12:54 PM

38 posts, read 23,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I would say a lot has changed in the last 40 years and that map is outdated.

I would say "Dixie" would be SC, GA (outside of the ATL Metroplex), AL, MS and maybe northern FL. Sure there are pockets of "Dixie" in TN, NC and Virginia (mostly the southern part), but over the last 40 years, there have been so many transplants that have moved to the South from the Northeast and the Midwest, if definitely has changed the South.

More than half of NC is probably made up of transplants (and their offspring) that have moved there over the last 20-30 years!
I disagree, it’s still pretty southern and that is not particularly unique to that state in the south.

I will say I think the term “Dixie” throws this off a little bit. Dixie makes it seem like all of these places are still flying confederate flags and talking about the good ole days. That may be true in rural areas and deep southern cities overall, but much of the major cities aren’t really like that. It’s a much more ‘lite’ southernness.

Old 12-13-2020, 01:38 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Most of Maryland is excluded from Dixie, when in fact, ALL of Maryland is Dixie.

Old 12-13-2020, 02:49 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post

I like the placement of the border in Texas. I kinda feel like Ft Worth is the first city of the West and Dallas the last city of the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.