Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2023, 06:08 PM

2,341 posts, read 2,289,196 times

Advertisements

Florida actually looks pretty accurate to me. I’d 100% remove Pasco County from the South, and probably Brevard and Volusia. Otherwise though, they pretty well nailed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2023, 06:09 PM

357 posts, read 132,154 times
I think we pay too much attention to imaginary boundaries.

The first capital of Spanish Texas (Before Mexican Texas) was actually in Louisiana halfway between Alexandria and Shreveport in an area near Natchitoches, Louisiana. The Spanish later pulled back their capital to San Antonio. The Spanish saw the Red River as the boundary of Spanish Texas.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Adaes

These strict boundaries for the south are crazy. The south has different meanings to different people.

My personal version of the south includes all of Virginia, all of Florida and the parts of Texas where 95% of it's population lives.

Old 12-27-2023, 06:11 PM

2,341 posts, read 2,289,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
PA is 100% a northern state, its just that's the most rural-feeling part of the state with those three counties shaded. The same with the counties where Morgantown and Wheeling, WV are as well as Western Maryland, feeling more Rust Belt than southern. Meanwhile, I'd throw in Calvert and St. Mary counties in Maryland to the South, as well as Spotsylvania County, VA. I'd also throw in those southern two tiers of IL counties (Little Egypt), from roughly Carbondale-Marion-Harrisburg on down. I'd also extend more of TX westward to a couple counties shy of I-35. I'd remove Brevard and Polk Counties in FL from the South; Polk is sprawling quickly from both Tampa and Orlando's spheres that include a lot of northern transplants and retirees, the later is nicely developed where folks from Orlando head to the beach; meanwhile, Volusia feels like the cutoff of where the South begins (it has a NASCAR track and a Buc-cee's.)

Then you got Sussex County, DE as southern, which is true away from the beaches, but the populated coastal strip is full of NY/NJ/PA as well as DMV retirees/second homes, so it doesn't feel particularly southern there.
Last time I was in Polk County, to my surprise, I actually noticed a lot of southern accents. I wouldn’t argue against it being in the South, but it will probably be leaving soon.

Old 12-27-2023, 07:08 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Dallas and Houston are Southern. Include most of Oklahoma as well.Even Washington, DC is to a great degree.

Old 12-27-2023, 07:59 PM

505 posts, read 248,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post

Focusing on the South for this thread, what do you think of this map? Are there any changes you would make? The author of the book (published in 1981) divided the U.S. into separate "nations" and picked Atlanta as the capital of Dixie. However, should areas such as Dallas or southern Indiana be included or not?

Yes, this represents the south imo.

Old 12-27-2023, 08:06 PM

505 posts, read 248,583 times
So per this map, is Austin bread basket or Mexamerica? I think Dallas and Ft. Worth have to be in same grouping.

Old 12-27-2023, 08:32 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,850,035 times
I always considered Texas as Southern cranked up to 11. Everything bigger and yada yada.

Old 12-27-2023, 09:25 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Dallas & Houston are not “Dixie” at all. That line should be moved about 50 miles east of those Metroplexes.
Yep. Further East of Dallas than Houston though.

Old 12-28-2023, 01:21 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Not sure what the criteria is but is it religion or race? Why for instance, is northern Virginia or much of Florida not part of the South?

I mean why can anyone, including Southerners move to the Northeast, Midwest or West and it is still the same but God forbid if Yankees, Italians, Jews, Hispanics, Irish, East Asians etc,. move to the South, its not Southern anymore?
Do you know the history of Florida and its development?
Most of the State was barely populated after the Civil War and it was mostly Northerner industrialists like Henry Flagler & Henry Plant who built the Railroads and infrastructure that facilitated the growth in the State. This attracted people from the North to move and settle in Florida.

Southerners never really settled most of Florida except for parts of the Panhandle & the northern part of the peninsula. The Northerners built & established the rest of the State hence why Florida isn't culturally Southern.

Florida geographically is in the South but Culturally it's not.

Old 12-28-2023, 08:09 AM

976 posts, read 1,057,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Dallas and Houston are Southern. Include most of Oklahoma as well.Even Washington, DC is to a great degree.

If you think Houston and Dallas are anything like Alabama, you haven't spent considerable time in Texas.

The only part of Texas that I can even call "Dixie" is the northeast part bordering other Dixie states.

It wasn't a slam dunk that they belonged with the southeast states during the start of the Civil War. The sitting Texas Governor, Sam Houston, was so Anti-Dixie that he REFUSED to join the Confederacy and had to be removed from office.

Also, Texas never relied as heavily on slave labor as did the rest of "Dixie" and Galveston definitely wasn't the the prolific slave ports/posts of New Orleans and near Washington D.C.

Texas is just Texas...with elements of many regions including it's own as a once independent nation, The Republic of Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.