Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2020, 09:17 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
There are areas outside the Beltway in Houston that are conservative to the extreme. League City making a proactive statement that they would not allow refugee children to live in their community (even though no one had even proposed it), or the multiple school prayer issues in Santa Fe come to mind. League City, Santa Fe, and Alvin went 80% for Trump.
And I think only one, maybe two Dallas area counties went to Biden. Trump won the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 09:47 AM

728 posts, read 973,926 times
The "Irishness" and the racism.

I feel like it's underrated that Boston is a top 5 metro for Haitians, Dominicans, Vietnamese folks and THE foremost destination for folks of Cape Verdean descent. There are neighborhoods in the city dominated by people of varying Caribbean origin (Bajan, Rican, Jamaican).

Southie isn't the entire city of Boston.

Old 12-21-2020, 09:47 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
A lot of people on this site.

I'd love to see the data of the top 50 metros in the US and how they voted.

Never seen that, especially not here.
It has happened plenty of times.

There have been a multitude of threads of the most conservative cities with Dallas and Houston being listed. There have been zero threads of most liberal cities with Dallas and Houston normally listed as choices.

by metro
Dallas and Houston went to Biden but barely over 50%. Both are up from 2016 though.

by city
Dallas went to Biden by 69.7%
Houston went to Biden by 63.9% which is interesting seeing as how that covers 599 sq miles. I say that because the turnout map shows this for Harris County:
https://chronpremium.carto.com/build...09ffb24f/embed
I am confident that over 70% of the area inside beltway 8 went to Biden. I am also confident that the inner loop went to Biden by even a higher percentage. Houston proper and Dallas proper being solidly conservative or being heavily republican is the one that is exaggerated. Dallas County is quickly catching up to Travis County

Old 12-21-2020, 11:28 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
My issue with New England being Rust belt is that it’s industry was different. It declined thru the Great Depression and died off post WWII. The Rustbelt was thriving thru the mid 60s. So while Cleveland, Milwaukee, Buffalo, Toledo and Pittsburgh all deindustrialised together. Lowell, Worcester, Providence, Augusta were already 25+ years into deindustrialization. Second Soithern New England is very different demographically. Cleveland, Toledo and Buffalo are very black and white. Hartford, Lowell and Providence are more diverse with tons of immigrants.

Economical stagnet does not equal Rustbelt. Same reason I don’t consider Rochester, NY rust belt. It’s decline happened too late. In the late 90s early aughts with Kodak and Xerox’s decline.
At least in terms of Buffalo, there is a substantial Hispanic population and there a big refugee resettlement community on the city's West Side. There a relatively visible Native American community in that area as well.

I know that there are communities in the Cleveland metro area with high Hispanic populations as well(Lorain, Painesville, etc.).

To pivot real quick, in terms of Syracuse, it is not a college town. It is a mid sized/smaller legacy city with a college town area that is the 5th biggest city in NY State(metro is actually 6th).

Also, there are multiple colleges/universities within the city(Le Moyne College, SUNY-ESF and SUNY Upstate Medical University) and not just one big university.

Old 12-21-2020, 12:30 PM

5,459 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Instead of "exaggerated" could I offer up a "downplayed"?

New England usually doesn't get included in definitions of "the Rust Belt", when it probably should. There's a lot of post-industrial blight and decay that generally gets ignored in the face of the history or the cutesy, tourist towns.
Huge fan of this post. My brother went to grad school at UMass-Lowell and was entirely naive about what Lowell was like...he had this 'idealized New England' vision in his mind when in actuality it was comparable to certain not-so-nice places near Buffalo, where we're from. He actually ended up dropping out, in no small part because he didn't like Lowell itself.

Old 12-21-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Take it from one who spent six summers there: When they talk about how "hot" it is, they are not just talking about the *heat*., they are also talking about the...(altogether now), *humidity*!
Heat index/wind chill should become our standard 'unit of measurement' for weather conditions rather than temperature...'what it feels like' is the most important consideration.

Old 12-21-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
My issue with New England being Rust belt is that it’s industry was different. It declined thru the Great Depression and died off post WWII. The Rustbelt was thriving thru the mid 60s. So while Cleveland, Milwaukee, Buffalo, Toledo and Pittsburgh all deindustrialised together. Lowell, Worcester, Providence, Augusta were already 25+ years into deindustrialization. Second Soithern New England is very different demographically. Cleveland, Toledo and Buffalo are very black and white. Hartford, Lowell and Providence are more diverse with tons of immigrants.

Economical stagnet does not equal Rustbelt. Same reason I don’t consider Rochester, NY rust belt. It’s decline happened too late. In the late 90s early aughts with Kodak and Xerox’s decline.
This is a fair argument, too

Old 12-21-2020, 01:36 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,417,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Huge fan of this post. My brother went to grad school at UMass-Lowell and was entirely naive about what Lowell was like...he had this 'idealized New England' vision in his mind when in actuality it was comparable to certain not-so-nice places near Buffalo, where we're from. He actually ended up dropping out, in no small part because he didn't like Lowell itself.
Most of Massachusetts outside the nicer Greater Boston suburbs feel more like Lowell. This idealized New England town center charm mainly exists in Boston suburbs with home prices over a million dollars and most of the quaint stores in those town centers aren't worth going into more than once. They mostly consist of real estate firms, pilates yoga, a funeral home and some antique store or art gallery. The lucky ones have a couple greasy diners/brunch places.

Old 12-21-2020, 05:30 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Most of Massachusetts outside the nicer Greater Boston suburbs feel more like Lowell. This idealized New England town center charm mainly exists in Boston suburbs with home prices over a million dollars and most of the quaint stores in those town centers aren't worth going into more than once. They mostly consist of real estate firms, pilates yoga, a funeral home and some antique store or art gallery. The lucky ones have a couple greasy diners/brunch places.
And not a lie was told.

But seriously those little town centers people from all over the country idolize literally consist of an antique shop, a quaint CVS, 3 banks, a stationary store and some Greek pizza. They’re not even remotely practical or engaging 9/10 times.

Usually all closed is by 730pm. If it’s a rough town that’s when all the junkies and dealers etc. come out.. swap out the antique store for a MetroPCS and the stations try store with a bodega and voila-Southbridge MA

Old 12-21-2020, 05:39 PM

6,805 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Most of Massachusetts outside the nicer Greater Boston suburbs feel more like Lowell.
This is more than a bit exaggerated. Places like Barre, North Adams, Hadley, Monson, Great Barrington etc. are way less rust-belty than Lowell. Not to say that western and central MA don’t have their Lowells (hello Southbridge, Holyoke, and Pittsfield).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
And not a lie was told. .. swap out the antique store for a MetroPCS and the stations try store with a bodega and voila-Southbridge MA
Bwahaha! Yeah

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 12-21-2020 at 05:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.