Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 06:09 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Stats have shown through the pandemic that people are fleeing from areas that are:

High Cost
High Tax
Democratic States
Bad Weather

to cities with:

lower cost
lower taxes
Republican
Sunny/warm weather
Strong economies

In general, this list also validates that, with a few exceptions
These states may be generally run by Republicans, but most cities in even "Republican" states are very Democratic. It's funny how that works; the economic engines that provide for their states are generally progressive, while the communities that benefit from that wealth creation trend more conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 06:27 PM

783 posts, read 838,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
These states may be generally run by Republicans, but most cities in even "Republican" states are very Democratic. It's funny how that works; the economic engines that provide for their states are generally progressive, while the communities that benefit from that wealth creation trend more conservative.

Old 12-16-2020, 06:34 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,698,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Yes, I agree with you on all fronts, very true.

Although in many respects a lot of the F500's are located outside of the city and in the often more moderate"edge" city suburbs, staffed by workers from across the metro.

Old 12-17-2020, 09:35 AM

10,062 posts, read 14,434,667 times
The larger and expensive cities like San Francisco, New York City, Los Angeles, Seattle, Boston, DC, and to some degree Chicago, are definitely being hurt by population loss, due to the pandemic.

If companies allow remote work -- and up to 80-85% now do -- it defies logic and reason in many situations for people to pay $5000 a month for a 3 bedroom apartment for a couple and 2 kids, for example, in the big cities.

They could purchase a house in Phoenix, for example, and pay a $2000 per month mortgage for a 5 bed, 4 bath luxury house with a pool.

Some are keeping their apartments in the big cities, and moving several hours away to smaller metros or smaller, upscale towns.

But all in all, cities are going to have to gain their footing again and figure out how to pick up the pieces, due to this pandemic. It has uprooted thousands of businesses with brick and mortar offices, caused residents to move away, and shattered the restaurant/bar, hotel and tourist industry.

It can be viewed as a creative opportunity for many cities to revamp already-ailing city centers, but many of these cities will also have to dramatically slash rent prices to lure in residents and companies again.

Otherwise, incentives are very low to live in crowded and expensive areas.

Old 12-17-2020, 10:25 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Florida is a big state with many microclimates. Orlando happens to be inland and hotter as it is not the beneficiary of bay or ocean breezes as is the case of coastal South Florida (which is different from the West Coast of the state, which is different from the Panhandle, etc etc). Plenty of people live here year-round—it’s not uninhabitable nor the Forbidden Zone from Planet of the Apes, depending what part of the state you live in.

In addition, more people were already moving to FL prior to the pandemic. Some were already coming to FL to not only avoid state income taxes in high tax states but also the result of newly imposed SALT cap limits following passage of the Tax Cut and Jobs Act of 2017; Covid has simply accelerated that trend as referenced in a couple of links in my earlier post.

Heck, Blackstone has announced plans to move 215 tech jobs paying an average of $200K to SoFla, Goldman Sachs is considering relocating its asset management division here, and some prominent hedge fund managers (Carl Icahn, Ken Griffin, Paul Tudor Jones, Barry Sternlicht, David Tepper, Paul Singer, and others) have already relocated (or are about to) not just their families here but businesses to SoFla as well, so it’s not necessarily short term nor for only part of the year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thereal...h-florida/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.blo...-a-blow-to-nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Well those 'advantages' are short term and while Florida does have mild wintersthe weather sucks for 4-5 months. I remember visiting Disney in May and it was so hot we could only go in mornings and evenings.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-17-2020 at 11:18 AM..

Old 12-17-2020, 11:37 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
The larger and expensive cities like San Francisco, New York City, Los Angeles, Seattle, Boston, DC, and to some degree Chicago, are definitely being hurt by population loss, due to the pandemic.

If companies allow remote work -- and up to 80-85% now do -- it defies logic and reason in many situations for people to pay $5000 a month for a 3 bedroom apartment for a couple and 2 kids, for example, in the big cities.

They could purchase a house in Phoenix, for example, and pay a $2000 per month mortgage for a 5 bed, 4 bath luxury house with a pool.

Some are keeping their apartments in the big cities, and moving several hours away to smaller metros or smaller, upscale towns.

But all in all, cities are going to have to gain their footing again and figure out how to pick up the pieces, due to this pandemic. It has uprooted thousands of businesses with brick and mortar offices, caused residents to move away, and shattered the restaurant/bar, hotel and tourist industry.

It can be viewed as a creative opportunity for many cities to revamp already-ailing city centers, but many of these cities will also have to dramatically slash rent prices to lure in residents and companies again.

Otherwise, incentives are very low to live in crowded and expensive areas.
The incentive is low right now. It will likely be back in the future. While the biggest cities like NYC may take a hit, cities themselves aren't going anywhere.

Places like Nashville, Raleigh, will remain appealing. I don't see much positive in the way for small metros like the Tri-Cities. People who are used to an upper middle class lifestyle aren't suddenly going to find somewhere like Kingsport appealing.

Old 12-17-2020, 03:21 PM

2,857 posts, read 2,169,936 times
Another thing that's surprising about this list is that Vegas is on it. I thought unemployment there is really high now with covid closures. I'm also not sure if the place has a lot of white collar jobs and amenities.

I also have heard a lot of buzz about Atlanta, more so than Nashville or the other small cities on the list. It seems to be a major destination for Silicon Valley types, along with Dallas. That's understandable as people from there want some diversity and cosmopolitanism along with lower COL.

Old 12-17-2020, 04:49 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,397,867 times
Quote:
Another thing that's surprising about this list is that Vegas is on it. I thought unemployment there is really high now with covid closures. I'm also not sure if the place has a lot of white collar jobs and amenities.
How is that relevant at all if you are a white collar worker who is working remotely during the pandemic?

Old 12-17-2020, 05:05 PM

2,905 posts, read 2,003,475 times
Quote:

I also have heard a lot of buzz about Atlanta, more so than Nashville or the other small cities on the list. It seems to be a major destination for Silicon Valley types, along with Dallas. That's understandable as people from there want some diversity and cosmopolitanism along with lower COL.
This is a survey of white collar workers, that's all it is. Take it with a big grain of salt.
Word around the street is that Vegas is struggling bad right now. It's going to take years for it to get back to normal, it it ever does

Old 12-17-2020, 06:28 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,698,572 times
Quote:

I know this is anecdotal, but I'm in Atlanta and it FEELS like it's booming. Midtown has more cranes than ever, and we keep winning over new HQ's (like Papa Johns for instance).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.