Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 13,694 times

Advertisements

Besides the obvious stuff (ie: city people live in cities, rural people don't live in cities), what difference is there between the people that live (and enjoy living) in big cities (NYC, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, etc.) and people that prefer a more rural, small town environment. Believe it or not, this is my topic for a paper I have to do. I figure this would be a good place to throw out the question. Thanks in advance to everyone who responds and please, please, PLEASE feel free to elaborate, give details, and throw in your opinions. I'm just looking for honest thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 10:07 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,452,074 times
People who live out in rural areas appreciate nature more in my opinion.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:51 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,749,239 times
Rural people are used to a slower pace whereas city people are normally used to a quicker pace. In small towns sometimes everybody knows you, probably not so in a larger city. I live in a rural area and people around here play a lot of baseball and basketball. In cities it may be harder to play baseball because of a lack of space, so basketball may be more prevalent. And around here the closest Ice rink is St. Louis, so ice hockey is out of the question.

People in rural areas often makes less (it seems) but homes and general cost of living and usually less, too.

I live in a rural area and it's a great place to raise kids or retire, but generally younger people end up going other places for schools and there aren't a lot of jobs in this town. And if you're in your teens and twenties without a family it can be pretty boring, whereas the city looks more exciting.

Cities in general tend to be more dangerous, whereas rural areas tend to be safer.

Although these are just my generalizations, I don't have any studies or charts or anything to back them up.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:59 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,067,491 times
People in rural areas seem to be less open to change. They are usually trend followers instead of trend setters. They typically seem to be more conservative than city dwellers. Typically seem more judgemental. They seem friendlier (if you are like them) then city folks. They tend to abide by societal norms moreso than city people.

City people move at a faster pace. They seem much more standoffish and less trusting than rural people. They are generally less patient. They enjoy more of a variety of entertainment, culture, and food than rural people.

Obviously I'm making generalizations but I hope it helps.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:59 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,600,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
People who live out in rural areas appreciate nature more in my opinion.
I always hear that and I disagree completely. It's city people who are often out visiting state parks and nature areas. While it's actually the people that live there that don't appreciate it, IMO. And don't discount the fact that many cities have loads of recreational opportunities and parks.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:12 PM

769 posts, read 2,224,180 times
Rural people: Slower-paced; quieter; more conservative; less knowledgeable about the outside world; live in a family-oriented society; rely heavily on cars; view new ideas with suspicion; and know their townsfolk.

City people: Quick-paced; loud; more direct; more socially liberal; uncomfortable in rural settings like rural people are uncomfortable in city settings; seek entertaining social life; take more public transportation; more interested in new ideas; and meet new people all the time.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:26 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,749,239 times
I disagree. Rural people may be more conservative, but that doesn't mean they don't know as much about the outside world.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:37 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,776,623 times
I like both.

City people have their own special quirks to them (tend to be more aggressive and harder to talk to but they are more keen to doing things that I enjoy)

While rural people tend to be more conservative, but they are extremely friendly, easier to talk to, and, in my experience, open minded and into learning new things.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:47 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,088,841 times
Rural people tend to be more trusting & genuine in giving a helping hand, less aware of and used to cultural diversity & different perspectives.

City people are more likely to be standoff-ish, questioning, concerned with trends, used to busy traffic

But of course there are the geographical, cultural, economic, etc, etc. dimensions that can blur these generalizations. In many rural places, you will still encounter small-town people with "big city" attitudes- and in every big city there'll be some inhabitants who are "small town" at heart- even if they've never lived in a small town before.

Furthermore, continuing a stream of generalizations, I'd even suggest that rural people in California or Florida or the Northeast may not even be as friendly as city people in the Midwest or South.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:40 AM

2,441 posts, read 6,978,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
Rural people: Slower-paced; quieter; more conservative; less knowledgeable about the outside world; live in a family-oriented society; rely heavily on cars; view new ideas with suspicion; and know their townsfolk.

City people: Quick-paced; loud; more direct; more socially liberal; uncomfortable in rural settings like rural people are uncomfortable in city settings; seek entertaining social life; take more public transportation; more interested in new ideas; and meet new people all the time.
You must be referring to the sterotypical, square-glassed, designer clothes-wearing hipster/yuppie. There are PLENTY of people in the most cosmopolitan cities in this country who are NOT cosmopolitan, AT ALL. People who really couldn't care less about remaining in old habits, staying in the same neighborhoods, eating at the same restaurants, and staying in the same crowd of people as they always have.

There are many people in New York, San Francisco, Chicago, etc. who have NEVER left city limits.

Cities and rural areas are WAY too complex to come up with generalizations about differences.

You will find people in the most backwoods parts of Wyoming and Alabama who have been to more countries and had more eclectic dining experiences than someone living on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.