Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2021, 12:30 AM

13,687 posts, read 15,597,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
All of people aren't that open to Caribbean/African cultures like that so places like Boston, South Florida, NYC etc. aren't attractive places to them. I also understand that an African American person from say Virginia or NC etc. might find a place like Boston quite jarring.

EDIT: love NuVegan. There's a location in College Park, MD. There's also Sweet Sosumba (Jamaican Vegan place) on Georgia Ave NW, Calabash in Shaw, and Everlasting Life Vegan in SE which are black owned. There's a few other places.
It’s not the type of food, it’s the types of restaurants. Having a carryouts is fine, but we need actual restaurants for brunch, dates, happy hour, birthdays, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2021, 09:37 AM

21,428 posts, read 12,419,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
What do you think about the state of sit down restaurants in the African American community? Nice places versus carryouts?
I can't speak for places other than Boston.

In Boston, they have the state-mandated liquor license cap I've covered many ties. As a result there literally no possible way for a new black restaurant to gain a license for liquor unless a restaurant closes down or we get a state-granted expansion/earmark. So ts limited. We do have a few Black American places to drink but it's literally like 5 city-wide. Fort Hill Bar and Grill, District 7, Slades, Larry Js, Darryls, and MIDA (and the Prince Hall freemason lodge in Roxbury has their own bar but its not open to the general public.) There are a few other Dominican and West Indian places that tend to cater more to my demographic (younger black/Latino people like you saw on that food tour). The Black American spots tend to appeal to the 30/35+ demographic-the minor problem with that is those people often live in the suburbs like Milton Stoughton Dedham Medford so they're not really in "the community" like that. Milton sort of counts though.

Ayanna Pressley got us an expansion of new liquor licenses for black neighborhoods when she was Boston City Councilor. There are 15 liquor licenses soon t hit the market for a minimal fee that are restricted to Minority restaurant owners. Even when the new licenses came non opened up in Hyde Park or Mattapan because they're very far from the "city"

They're critically important for any black urban area for the community, entertainment, and economics. The liquor license is what makes the real money and allows you to have a nice sit down spot with the atmosphere

Old 01-06-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
It’s not the type of food, it’s the types of restaurants. Having a carryouts is fine, but we need actual restaurants for brunch, dates, happy hour, birthdays, etc.
I think his comment was more about culture in general. Plenty of west Indian and African spots with nice vibes for drinks. I was at one day after Christmas. I was gonna get take out from ideals sub shop (African Amerian and Dominican couple-ownershi[) but literally, 2/3 blocks down the street is TopMix (https://www.topmixbar.com/) a, trendy Dominican bar/lounge in Roxbury catering to young black/latino professional types. So my friend and I headed there instead of Ideals...

Old 01-06-2021, 01:56 PM

4,362 posts, read 4,556,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

btw NuVegan is a nice Vegan black restaurant in DC. As is Land of Kush in Baltimore which does Vegan soul food.
My sis-n-law bf from Baltimore and anytime she goes up there she swears by Land of Kush.

Quote:
I can only speak for Houston and Atlanta but both of those cities have a good amount of nice sit down restaurants for brunch, dates, happy hour, etc. Now is it on the level like a midtown/uptown area? No but they're there. I also think some Black owners look at what financially makes the most sense. Doesn't mean they're intentionally neglecting the Black community but as a business owner you do have to prioritize logic over emotions. Example, It's a Black owned restaurant in Atlanta I use to frequent called Louisiana Bistreaux. They have 3 locations, one being in a predominately Black area. Now LB is fortunate enough to be able to afford 3 locations but I can tell you their Buckhead location is their most successful location.

Old 01-06-2021, 03:33 PM

2,741 posts, read 2,375,956 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say NuVegan or Calabsh are sit downs. More like Cafes or casual restaurant in Nuvegan's case. There are some black owned sit down restaurants/brunch spots in DC. Creole on 14 (Southern/Creole food) in DC is black owned. Kith and Kin (Afro Caribbean) used to be black owned. Not sure whats happening there. There's also Cane on H (Trini), Oohs and Aahs (Southern), many Ethiopian places like Dukem, Queen of Sheba, etc., Milk and Honey (Soul), HalfSmoke (soul), and more.

And of course the carryouts, Caribbean take outs, African take outs, Soul food joints, etc.

Unfortunately, post COVID, I don't know how many will still exist.

Old 01-06-2021, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
My sis-n-law bf from Baltimore and anytime she goes up there she swears by Land of Kush.
Yea it’s Vegan Soul Food. I probably would not swear by it because it’s hard to get savory flavors from vegan food.what I do swear by is Hip Hop Fish and Chicken but it’s a fun option when I’m feeling positive and healthy lol.

Old 01-06-2021, 05:39 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,849,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post

I can only speak for Houston and Atlanta but both of those cities have a good amount of nice sit down restaurants for brunch, dates, happy hour, etc. Now is it on the level like a midtown/uptown area? No but they're there. I also think some Black owners look at what financially makes the most sense. Doesn't mean they're intentionally neglecting the Black community but as a business owner you do have to prioritize logic over emotions. Example, It's a Black owned restaurant in Atlanta I use to frequent called Louisiana Bistreaux. They have 3 locations, one being in a predominately Black area. Now LB is fortunate enough to be able to afford 3 locations but I can tell you their Buckhead location is their most successful location.
Land of Kush is pretty good. I went there back when I was vegan for a month. Lol

Old 01-06-2021, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post

Land of Kush is pretty good. I went there back when I was vegan for a month. Lol
Same lol. Pretty good.

I was just out and saw Bertha’s Bar and grill on Belair Road and Parkside Drive here in Bmore. It’s like bar/restaurant carry out. I’m skeptical as to how “sit down” some of these “bars” in the hood are. But if it weren’t covid id go this weekend.

Old 01-06-2021, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I wouldn't say NuVegan or Calabsh are sit downs. More like Cafes or casual restaurant in Nuvegan's case. There are some black owned sit down restaurants/brunch spots in DC. Creole on 14 (Southern/Creole food) in DC is black owned. Kith and Kin (Afro Caribbean) used to be black owned. Not sure whats happening there. There's also Cane on H (Trini), Oohs and Aahs (Southern), many Ethiopian places like Dukem, Queen of Sheba, etc., Milk and Honey (Soul), HalfSmoke (soul), and more.

And of course the carryouts, Caribbean take outs, African take outs, Soul food joints, etc.

Unfortunately, post COVID, I don't know how many will still exist.
Is Marvins black owned? Never been during the day lol, so I’ve only seen it as a club/lounge not in restaurant form but it’s definitely a sit down spot.

Here some of the work being done in Boston to open things up for minority restauranteurs:

https://youtu.be/MDDsv7xZJ5Q

Old 01-06-2021, 11:34 PM

13,687 posts, read 15,597,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I can't speak for places other than Boston.

In Boston, they have the state-mandated liquor license cap I've covered many ties. As a result there literally no possible way for a new black restaurant to gain a license for liquor unless a restaurant closes down or we get a state-granted expansion/earmark. So ts limited. We do have a few Black American places to drink but it's literally like 5 city-wide. Fort Hill Bar and Grill, District 7, Slades, Larry Js, Darryls, and MIDA (and the Prince Hall freemason lodge in Roxbury has their own bar but its not open to the general public.) There are a few other Dominican and West Indian places that tend to cater more to my demographic (younger black/Latino people like you saw on that food tour). The Black American spots tend to appeal to the 30/35+ demographic-the minor problem with that is those people often live in the suburbs like Milton Stoughton Dedham Medford so they're not really in "the community" like that. Milton sort of counts though.

Ayanna Pressley got us an expansion of new liquor licenses for black neighborhoods when she was Boston City Councilor. There are 15 liquor licenses soon t hit the market for a minimal fee that are restricted to Minority restaurant owners. Even when the new licenses came non opened up in Hyde Park or Mattapan because they're very far from the "city"

They're critically important for any black urban area for the community, entertainment, and economics. The liquor license is what makes the real money and allows you to have a nice sit down spot with the atmosphere
From what I have seen recently, black neighborhoods in Boston seem to be rather mixed use even far from the urban core. Is that the case?

The African American Ward 7 and Ward 8 in D.C. are mainly residential without retail in major contrast to neighborhoods on the opposite side of the Anacostia River. That has been the case historically. There is a major case study happening right now in D.C.'s Ward 7 which is still over 92% African American. There is a legit major downtown CBD developing in Ward 7 and the next few years will be telling in regards to how much of a barrier the Anacostia River and Ward 7's distance from downtown DC are to racial demographic changes. There is major black gentrification taking place, but not really other races. Downtown Ward 7 has over 1 million sq. feet of office, over 3,500 housing units, and 364,000 sq. feet of new retail moving through development.

Downtown Ward 7 in DC

New Columbia Town Center

-674 housing units
-100,000 sq. feet of retail

Market 7 Under Construction 2nd Quarter 2020

-14,000 sq. feet of retail

Parkside Master Plan
Parkside Parcel 11 Under Construction 2nd Quarter 2020
Parkside Parcel 8 and 9 Construction Start 1st Quarter 2021

-850,000 sq. feet of office space
-1500 housing units
-50,000 sq. feet of retail

Northeast Heights Construction Start Q1 2021

-241,000 sq. feet of office space
-1355 housing units
-200,000 sq. feet of retail

Total Downtown Ward 7 Development Pipeline

-1,091,000 sq. feet of office space
-3,529 housing units
-364,000 sq. feet of retail

Infrastructure

Pedestrian Bridge to Parkside
Bridge Rendering

Benning Road Street Car Extension

New I-295 and Benning Road Bridge Interchange

This area has the potential to be a legit African American CBD inside D.C. proper based on geographical factors and location. Whether that happens is to be determined; however, Ward 7 is positioned to anchor Prince George's County for black entertainment also. Only time will tell and it serves as an intriguing case study with major implications. This may be the largest chance in D.C. for a true African American dominated downtown with sit-down restaurants and entertainment.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 01-07-2021 at 12:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.