Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 11:50 AM

3,198 posts, read 2,662,707 times

Advertisements

The year of 2020 was brutal, stupid, made no sense and felt like some Black Mirror season. It was sad to see a lot of negativity happen in both micro and macro perspectives, affecting everyone on this planet.

With that said, we have to look (to the best of our ability) at the positives that happened in cities this year. As the thread says, what are some positive things that happened in your city in 2020? This applies short term and laying the foundation for long term growth. It can be anywhere from infrastructure investments to FDI, population growth, etc. I would love to see what each city has been up to and to spread positivity as much as possible, while showing what cities are planning for the post-covid era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 11:55 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,424,467 times
Better traffic.

Old 12-28-2020, 12:02 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,711,672 times
DART's silver rail line, an east-west route that will travel between Plano-Addison-Carrollton-Cypress Waters-DFW Airport, broke ground this fall.

It's set to open in 2023.

Old 12-28-2020, 02:45 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,026,863 times
Home values exploded nationwide. Good for sellers and retirees.

Absolutely horrible for anyone under 35, first time buyers. Hopefully there is a market correction.

Old 12-28-2020, 02:57 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Nature seemed happier.

You see bald eagles fairly often in part of Vancouver. I usually see two or so flying back and forth from their aerie's, tending their young. This year there seemed many more. At one time I counted seven flying around in one spot. I was even privileged to see two eagles do their death spiral. This is a random video, not my own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ1VQ-4LYAI

The air seemed fresher. The city much quieter. Seeing very few planes in the air was nice.

New public spaces were created, such as patios for bars and restaurants on the roadway. This helped the smaller businesses who didn't have room for a patio, survive. It was a success, that there is pressure to perhaps make some of these permanent, or at least in the summer months. To be fair, though, this idea and project had already been started before the pandemic.

It also made people realize just how valued friends and family are. Not being able to visit, or hug, or even shake hands is still difficult. I miss my pub friends and can't wait to rejoin them for a pint or two. Right now, I can only go to the pub with members of my household, so I haven't been LOL

Old 12-28-2020, 02:59 PM

1,169 posts, read 751,539 times
Spike in new home starts, which I guess is great if you are associated with the homebuilding industry in any way.

Old 12-28-2020, 03:08 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,223,571 times
Rent prices in NY, especially in Manhattan, have fallen dramatically.

Old 12-28-2020, 03:57 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,559,570 times
Interest rates are at or near historical lows...once the reckoning of the deficit takes place (few years from now?) interest rates will rise which will impact monthly payments/amount of house people can afford and prices will adjust.

On a separate and positive note, the stock market had solid returns for the year while most people’s expenses (travel, entertainment, etc) were lower than usual.

If you are single I would imagine STD rates are at a multi decade low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Home values exploded nationwide. Good for sellers and retirees.

Absolutely horrible for anyone under 35, first time buyers. Hopefully there is a market correction.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-28-2020 at 04:22 PM..

Old 12-28-2020, 05:02 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,979,327 times
Flood control planning in Houston is already paying off. Will the city ever flood again? Yes, but definitely not as bad as before!

Old 12-28-2020, 06:39 PM

1,094 posts, read 810,245 times
Here in Jacksonville a new bus terminal open in the Lavilla neighborhoods next to Greyhound buses back in May. Jacksonville was also one of the first cities to re-open in some form with access to Jax Beach back in mid April during peak shutdown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.