Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 03:04 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,694,712 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I've been thinking about this for months and decided to seek information and find out which US cities have weather and climate similar to Tokyo Japan. I know that there are other reasons besides weather to consider when moving somewhere. First of all let me be clear and say that I am not moving anywhere now but I am still looking to find my next location because life can change at any time and it does. And in the process of finding that next place I have to do research. I do not hate my current place of residence but would like to live in other places in my life. I am only 31 and I know time is on my side.

I love Japan and I am thrilled that Tokyo has four seasons so that's another reason why I am asking which US cities have weather that is similar. My first guess would be Atlanta perhaps? Tokyo is in the humid subtropical climate zone with cold winters. Would Dallas TX have similar weather? What are some of these cities? Any feedback would be great!

Thanks.
AliveandWell in L.A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 06:47 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
i would say anywhere on the east coast above nc but below maine...

Old 02-04-2010, 11:50 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i would say anywhere on the east coast above nc but below maine...
New York and Boston are "humid subtropical"??

To the OP: Atlanta would probably be more similar to Tokyo weather. Dallas can get pretty hot in the summer whereas Atlanta has more humidity. Four distinct seasons with warm, muggy, long summers, and short, cold winters.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:41 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
I would say Washington DC and Virginia Beach would have the climate closest to Tokyo. I just did a comparison on Weather.com and both cities were very comparable to Tokyo for temps year round.

Tokyo vs VA Beach: Climatology Comparison for Tokyo, Japan - weather.com

Tokyo vs DC: Climatology Comparison for Tokyo, Japan - weather.com

Old 02-04-2010, 01:36 PM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
no, smart alec but tokyo has all four seasons which is why i said anywhere above virginia but below maine.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:58 PM

150 posts, read 560,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
no, smart alec but tokyo has all four seasons which is why i said anywhere above virginia but below maine.
You are not far off. I have been to Tokyo in several seasons…and it was very similar to the cities in the middle Atlantic like Washington DC or Atlantic City climate wise. Tokyo is much like Washington DC in that it straddles the subtropical climate line, long hot summers, moderate winters, humid with semi high rainfall.

I found these: Washington DC and Tokyo have an annual mean temperature that is only 0.3 F apart.

Toyko

http://www.worldclimate.com/cgi-bin/...1202+0004258G2

Washington DC

http://www.worldclimate.com/cgi-bin/...7+1302+448906C

Old 02-04-2010, 02:59 PM
eek

tokyo sure gets a lot of rain, tho. is there a city in the u.s. that gets as much or more rain than tokyo on average??

Old 02-04-2010, 05:07 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,679,510 times
Why below Maine,because it's colder? Most of Southern Maine where everyone lives is comparable to the states below it.
And Mobile,New Orleans,Pensacola,West Palm Beach and Miami all get on average more rain a year than Tokyo.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:13 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,152,081 times
I've been to Tokyo plenty of times in various seasons also...I'd agree and say the weather is similar to Washington, DC, except DC seems to get more snow, IMHO.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:14 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post

To the OP: Atlanta would probably be more similar to Tokyo weather. Dallas can get pretty hot in the summer whereas Atlanta has more humidity. Four distinct seasons with warm, muggy, long summers, and short, cold winters.
Actually New York is, I'm not sure about Boston.

I'd say Atlanta. NY/Philly/DC get slightly colder in the Winter which is really the only thing differentiating them from Tokyo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.