Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 01:34 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Not sure why you say Miami has as much work to do and/or is in the same category as some other cities you listed (along with others not mentioned)—and I live here— after moving away from a West Coast city as the final straw because homelessness, among other factors, was impacting my QOL. Not saying homelessness does not exist in Miami, just that it is likely a 1 on a scale from 1-10—much less of an issue than many other cities. It should be a bigger issue since unemployment benefits top out at $3300; perhaps people move to inland areas of the County where more affordable housing exists or to other lower cost cities or states that take better care of those in need while they are able to do so.

There’s a noticeable pocket in downtown (Flagler district), across the bridge on the other side of the river from Brickell (where I might see 2-4 day, not every other block nor camped out in tent cities either)...other than that, the presence is minimal—certainly compared to other coastal cities I have lived in and visited and as cited in the study I linked above and earlier (one of the lowest totals of all cities per 100,000 residents along with Atlanta and Houston—not NYC, SF, LA, Seattle, DC, etc; in fact, 19th worst problem for 7th largest US County).

https://www.security.org/wp-content/...homeless-9.png

The following are regarded as the top homeless cities/areas of the country. I welcome updated (first 2 links are from a report dated March 2020) or different data/studies if it exists:

https://psydprograms.org/the-places-...ss-in-america/

https://psydprograms.org/wp-content/.../03/image4.png

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...fographic/amp/

Didn't say they have as much work as NYC LA SF. Said they have work to do. Not on the same playing field as them in that regard, you put words in my mouth. Also I said Miami and due west, like around MIA and Hialeah. Not in Wynwood or Miami Beach etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2020, 01:38 PM

747 posts, read 496,640 times
Every city has work to do when it comes to homelessness. I have family that lives in Winston-Salem and High Point and I used to live in Orlando. Downtown Greensboro and downtown Orlando definitely have homeless people but “pretty bad” and “quite a lot” are incredible instances of sensationalization, especially compared to Chicago and DC. Those cities have infinitely more unsheltered homeless people. I guess it’s different when you visit versus live or spend lots of time.

Old 12-26-2020, 01:51 PM

7,408 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Understood—the data I highlighted for all of Miami Dade would have included those other inland, western cities within the county. That being said, one can live or visit the more popular and busier areas of the Miami or Miami Dade without it being as big an issue whereas in many other cities one cannot help but notice or avoid it. Every city has work to do, fortunately it’s not as big a problem here as it is in many other cities, bigger and some smaller. (Now, if only the city could work on some areas of SoBe in reducing the douche population that would be great).

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Didn't say they have as much work as NYC LA SF. Said they have work to do. Not on the same playing field as them in that regard, you put words in my mouth. Also I said Miami and due west, like around MIA and Hialeah. Not in Wynwood or Miami Beach etc

Last edited by elchevere; 12-26-2020 at 02:18 PM..

Old 12-26-2020, 02:17 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Understood—the data I highlighted for all of Miami Dade would have included those other inland, western cities within the county. That being said, one can live or visit the more popular and busier areas of the Miami or Miami Dade without it being as big an issue whereas in many other cities one cannot help but notice or avoid it. Every city has work to do, fortunately it’s not as big a problem here as it is in many other cities, bigger and some smaller. (Now, if only the city could work on some areas of SoBe in reducing the number of douches that would be great).
Agreed.

i actually think Miami Beach is one of the cleaner cities. IIRC I only can remember a handful, (<5) homeless people on Miami Beach per the many visits I have had there.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:55 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If you live in a place with a real winter, you don’t have the same level of visible street people.
Think again. Here in the Twin Cities, homelessness is worse than I've ever seen it in the 3 decades living here. You used to see most homeless in the two downtowns, mostly around the shelters, missions and Salvation Armies. But now there are encampments in many if not most city parks in Minneapolis, and many scattered around St. Paul in places where I've seen them in the past. It's been that way since the riots last summer. Yes, it's cold here now, high of 3 degrees on Thursday, but many homeless people here are prepared to sleep in tents all winter. Shelters are being built, but many feel safer in secluded areas in parks and on vacant land.

Old 12-26-2020, 09:06 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
it aint too bad here in Midland-Odessa, Texas

Old 12-26-2020, 10:27 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
In Denver it was really apparent downtown and along the creekways. Part of Denver's problem wasn't the amount, but the insanity and unstableness of the ones out there. But once you jumped off into the neighborhoods that weren't car free living there wasn't as many around. I dealt with them a lot at the office at work downtown, rarely at home in the apartment.

Colorado Springs has a worse homeless problem per capita IMO than Denver, though it's not as apparent. Part of that's because COS doesn't really have a downtown, they are more spread out across the city. There's a lot of veteran homelessness in COS, and a lot of the creekways have whole homeless villages, though they aren't that visible to the general public.

Old 12-28-2020, 10:22 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,486,983 times
In my neighborhood it is thankfully almost non-existent. However, some parts of Midtown are now really bad, and not a trip goes by on the subway where I don't see at least one mentally ill homeless person. Whenever I'm on the platform I make sure to stand far away from the edge where someone could easily push me in.

Old 12-28-2020, 11:09 AM

5,459 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
Miami: not bad at all. One of the lowest rates per 100,000 of major cities. Far less presence and less noticeable than some other cities I lived in.

https://www.security.org/wp-content/...homeless-9.png

https://www.security.org/resources/homeless-statistics/
That data is odd, as DC is listed as the 'state' with the highest homeless population per 100k, at 994.85 per, but then is nowhere to be found on the city list, which is led by Eugene OR (notorious anarchist hotbed in the '90s, heh) at 432.28...perhaps this is explained by the inclusion of the metro area in the latter list but not the former?

Old 12-28-2020, 11:41 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If you live in a place with a real winter, you don’t have the same level of visible street people.
Street people. lol I shouldn't laugh but this is funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.