Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 06:39 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
This right here is what I mean. Jax is not as prominent as it should be despite being Florida's largest city. Everytime Florida gets brought up Jacksonville is almost never mention.
That's because Jacksonville is Florida's largest city by technicality (city-county consolidation). In terms of its actual size using urbanized area or MSA population, it's about as known as one would expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 08:15 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Quote:
This right here is what I mean. Jax is not as prominent as it should be despite being Florida's largest city. Everytime Florida gets brought up Jacksonville is almost never mention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's because Jacksonville is Florida's largest city by technicality (city-county consolidation). In terms of its actual size using urbanized area or MSA population, it's about as known as one would expect.
Correct, but I am pretty sure OP is aware of this...I think I've said it to him in one or two other threads before. *shrugs*

Jacksonville is the 4th largest MSA in FL, and I think gets the recognition you'd expect for the 4th largest MSA in a state.

Old 12-28-2020, 09:34 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Well the Jaguars won the lottery yesterday, so expect to hear and see more of Jacksonville in the news and on TV.

Old 12-28-2020, 11:39 PM

9,853 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Well the Jaguars won the lottery yesterday, so expect to hear and see more of Jacksonville in the news and on TV.
In comes Trevor Lawrence

Old 12-28-2020, 11:43 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,596 times
As an elementary student, I had an amazing time living in Jax but as I've gotten older I have never heard of anyone talking about the place...I'm not into sports and as a gay man, its one of those cities where gay bars are still hiding in seedy corners...

Old 12-29-2020, 04:45 AM

1,094 posts, read 807,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
As an elementary student, I had an amazing time living in Jax but as I've gotten older I have never heard of anyone talking about the place...I'm not into sports and as a gay man, its one of those cities where gay bars are still hiding in seedy corners...
Guessing that Jacksonville was more prominent decades prior.

Old 12-29-2020, 05:05 AM

8,608 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Jacksonville doesn't have a direct flight to PHX. Then again, it doesn't have direct flights to SFO, SEA, PDX, SAN, and is just starting a flight to LAX in 2021. The current furthest west flight is to DEN. Seems odd for a metro of its size.

Old 12-29-2020, 06:53 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,149 times
Honestly Jacksonville isn't even a big deal in the South. It truly holds a weird stats. To be so large you never hear of folks "I'm moving there for a fantastic job prospect" or.. "I have family in Jacksonville", or "We went to Jacksonville for the weekend". I've traveled quite a bit and have lived in the Carolinas and Texas and you just never hear it. Typically its Miami/Ft Lauderdale then Orlando, then Tampa followed by The Panama City/NW beach cities or The Florida Keys.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:35 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
This hasn't been my experience in JAX. I don't know the gay scene in JAX that well, but the bars appear to be in plain sight to me. If you're comparing to a bigger scene like ATL and New York it's going to fall short, but it seems to do fine for it's metro size from what I've seen.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:50 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Jacksonville is not Florida's largest city. It is the states most populous municipality on paper due to the technicality of its borders being coterminous with Duval County. Considering it Florida's largest city because of that would be misinformed. Jacksonville is also relatively close population to San Francisco. But if you're going to truly consider it a peer of SFO then you also must believe that the bars in the graph below are the same size.

Jacksonville is an up and coming mid sized metro with amenities that are above average compared to its peers. People around the country are not oblivious its presence. Obviously it gets overshadowed by its instate siblings since it's not a tourism mecca, it is still managing to perform with them in terms of economic, population, and amenity growth. I maintain that the hyperbolic nature of these boards do not represent the opinions of average people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.