Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Brightest future?
Texas 13 12.62%
Florida 3 2.91%
Georgia 5 4.85%
Virginia 3 2.91%
California 9 8.74%
New York 9 8.74%
Pennsylvania 1 0.97%
Washington 4 3.88%
Oregon 0 0%
Idaho 3 2.91%
Colorado 3 2.91%
Tennessee 5 4.85%
Utah 3 2.91%
Illinois 4 3.88%
Minnesota 2 1.94%
Michigan 2 1.94%
Nevada 0 0%
North Carolina 11 10.68%
New England 17 16.50%
Other 6 5.83%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 08:02 PM

724 posts, read 403,782 times

Advertisements

Interesting question. I haven't read through the full thread, but I think one metric you could look at is the number of quality state universities there are. California, Virginia, North Carolina, Texas all seem to have a decent number of solid public universities. New England seems to have lots of good public and private schools grade schools and high schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2021, 08:20 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I understand that successful people come from all regions of the world, your influence over your child is the biggest factor in success, and that this country is cyclical.

But let's say your main objective is to be around your children when they're adults, if possible, where would you live? What would you be looking for? For me, it's the southern states:

Low cost of living
Has not peaked
Job and people migration

I think you'd have to look at Texas, Florida, Georgia or North Carolina? It feels like the coasts are starting their fade, am I wrong?
The Salt Lake City, Utah region is 1st for social mobility, so from a statistical perspective, I'd choose there. However, I am quite confident raising children pretty anywhere and think that Illinois is the most likely place for me to be doing that.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:26 PM

521 posts, read 163,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
The Salt Lake City, Utah region is 1st for social mobility, so from a statistical perspective, I'd choose there. However, I am quite confident raising children pretty anywhere and think that Illinois is the most likely place for me to be doing that.

Why is that? Illinois is a big state. Are talking about Chicago?

Old 01-02-2021, 08:37 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,422,447 times
Chicago is actually not a bad place to raise kids if you’re middle or upper middle class. It’s anchored by the University of Chicago and Northwestern, which are top universities that actually recruit a significant amount locally (more so than say Harvard or MIT in Greater Boston). UIUC is also a very good public university compared to say public universities like UMass, UNH or UVM in New England. The public schools are also decent if you can test into the magnet schools. The airport is a major hub so it’s convenient to travel and explore the country and the world with your kids.

The main negative with Chicago is that it is very segregated and very obviously so even to a child.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:45 PM

521 posts, read 163,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Chicago is actually not a bad place to raise kids if you’re middle or upper middle class. It’s anchored by the University of Chicago and Northwestern, which are top universities that actually recruit a significant amount locally (more so than say Harvard or MIT in Greater Boston). UIUC is also a very good public university compared to say public universities like UMass, UNH or UVM in New England. The public schools are also decent if you can test into the magnet schools. The airport is a major hub so it’s convenient to travel and explore the country and the world with your kids.

The main negative with Chicago is that it is very segregated and very obviously so even to a child.

Segregated? What do you mean?

Old 01-03-2021, 11:55 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not that I get into the politicized dynamic, but are those “conservative” city school districts really just for the city proper? I’m only asking because a place like Jacksonville is essentially a county SD and Oklahoma City sprawls quite a bit in a way the “progressive” cities don’t. Meaning, it may as well be a hybrid SD.

Some may get into the aspect of standards as well.
The study looked at public school districts in the city proper. But you have a point about the big sprawling cities which obviously include wide swaths of suburbia.

Old 01-03-2021, 11:57 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Camp Pendleton

Old 01-03-2021, 01:04 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
New England and NY, states with the highest percentage of college graduates. The lack of ambition in PA is downright scary.

Old 01-03-2021, 07:06 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post

Chicago would be an easy yes for me. Probably in my top 5 of cities or areas I'd live in. Has everything you want. Ok, it's kind of flat, but there's gotta be some recreation there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
SLC is hot in the tech world. I'll say it, it's kind of homogenous ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sportsfan View Post
Interesting question. I haven't read through the full thread, but I think one metric you could look at is the number of quality state universities there are. California, Virginia, North Carolina, Texas all seem to have a decent number of solid public universities. New England seems to have lots of good public and private schools grade schools and high schools.
True dat.

Old 01-06-2021, 11:33 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,070,062 times
We moved to the Triangle of NC (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) coming up on 3 years ago. We didn’t move by choice, but are so happy we’re here. The future for our children seems so much brighter than in the St. Louis metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.