Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Brightest future?
Texas 13 12.62%
Florida 3 2.91%
Georgia 5 4.85%
Virginia 3 2.91%
California 9 8.74%
New York 9 8.74%
Pennsylvania 1 0.97%
Washington 4 3.88%
Oregon 0 0%
Idaho 3 2.91%
Colorado 3 2.91%
Tennessee 5 4.85%
Utah 3 2.91%
Illinois 4 3.88%
Minnesota 2 1.94%
Michigan 2 1.94%
Nevada 0 0%
North Carolina 11 10.68%
New England 17 16.50%
Other 6 5.83%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 06:03 PM

474 posts, read 530,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
yea, imo, the south is the future. The coasts better adjust or else.
TX, GA, NC, FL are all coastal states. Granted, their largest urban centers are inland (with the exception of Florida), but I wouldn’t say they’re any less coastal than say, NY or CA.

Last edited by garyjohnyang; 12-27-2020 at 06:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 06:12 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I don't think that people actually think like that. Most people select a neighborhood after they decide generally (city or metro) where they want to move. Especially people with kids, which was the question.
I respectfully disagree. Most people choose a place to live based on where they work. After that they will choose the particular neighborhood they want based on housing affordability, schools for the kids (if any), type of residence (condo, apartment, single-family, et al), what a commute will look like, and cultural, entertainment, and outdoor activity options.

Even for breadwinners who are totally work from home, it makes much more sense to look at these types of things first, than to try and decide where to live on a statewide basis. Only thing that mught be considered on a statewide basis is a weather/climate type preference, but even that can vary widely within the same state.

Last edited by citylove101; 12-27-2020 at 06:25 PM..

Old 12-27-2020, 07:45 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjohnyang View Post
TX, GA, NC, FL are all coastal states. Granted, their largest urban centers are inland (with the exception of Florida), but I wouldn’t say they’re any less coastal than say, NY or CA.
Ah, I meant the traditional association, ie westcoast and honestly the DC to Boston corridor.

Old 12-27-2020, 11:07 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,973,589 times
Quote:
But let's say your main objective is to be around your children when they're adults, if possible, where would you live? What would you be looking for? For me, it's the southern states.
It's a little hard for me to answer this question, because my hopes for my kids isn't that they live near me when they grow up. Don't get me wrong, that's great if they do, but it's not really a marker of success for me. In fact, for most people I know, mobility is a marker of success.

I hope my kids chase good opportunities wherever it takes them. I hope they have stability in their personal relationships, have enough financial success that they have choices in life and aren't constantly stressed by money, they get some fulfillment from their career, keep an open mind about the world and do some traveling or living abroad, have some sort of hobby they enjoy, aren't lazy, are resilient when challenges arise, and be decent people (basically following the golden rule). If that happens, they will be very successful in my book.

What is the best state for that? I don't know. I think they are doing well in California, so I picked that, but in reality I think it would be easy to find neighborhoods in most of the top 25 MSA's that would work just as well. The more insular metros would probably rate lower, IMO, but I still think there are places that would work even in those.

Old 12-27-2020, 11:18 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,422,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
It's a little hard for me to answer this question, because my hopes for my kids isn't that they live near me when they grow up. Don't get me wrong, that's great if they do, but it's not really a marker of success for me. In fact, for most people I know, mobility is a marker of success.

I hope my kids chase good opportunities wherever it takes them. I hope they have stability in their personal relationships, have enough financial success that they have choices in life and aren't constantly stressed by money, they get some fulfillment from their career, keep an open mind about the world and do some traveling or living abroad, have some sort of hobby they enjoy, aren't lazy, are resilient when challenges arise, and be decent people (basically following the golden rule). If that happens, they will be very successful in my book.

What is the best state for that? I don't know. I think they are doing well in California, so I picked that, but in reality I think it would be easy to find neighborhoods in most of the top 25 MSA's that would work just as well. The more insular metros would probably rate lower, IMO, but I still think there are places that would work even in those.
Well said. I agree 100%.

Old 12-27-2020, 11:27 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Just reading the thread title brought me to a very different answer than the OP haha. But after reading the OP I get that POV as well.

But my initial reaction was two-fold:
1) well they can be setup for success anywhere really
2) but if I really had to pick a time and place, I guess I'd settle in CA during high school so they can attend a CA school at in-state rates. Either that or Germany so they feel comfortable attending one of the free German universities. lol.

Old 12-28-2020, 01:17 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
I think the demographics of the town matter more than where in the country as far as outcomes are concerned. Any white collar professional bedroom town with 60%+ college educated adults is going to have a strong school system and good peer group.

Old 12-28-2020, 03:19 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,601,915 times
Bologna. Choose a lifestyle in which the whole family has a chance to give all the children the best nurturing.

If you settle in a neighborhood so "good" that you can afford it only with extra part-time jobs that take up all your time and attention, your children will fail in that vacuum of contented affection, guidance and example.

Old 12-28-2020, 04:54 AM

5,826 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Quote:
I understand that successful people come from all regions of the world, your influence over your child is the biggest factor in success, and that this country is cyclical.

But let's say your main objective is to be around your children when they're adults, if possible, where would you live? What would you be looking for? For me, it's the southern states:

Low cost of living
Has not peaked
Job and people migration

I think you'd have to look at Texas, Florida, Georgia or North Carolina? It feels like the coasts are starting their fade, am I wrong?
You have no choice in where your children choose to settle as adults unless you're helicopter parenting to an inappropriate level. Furthermore, the objective for me is to want my children to fully and completely explore their potential and if that means leaving home, thats what it is...

Where I'd choose to live and raise them isnt predicated on having them stay there as an adult. Its a place both comfortable enough for me with great resources for a child...

Personally, I've gotten stuck in NC because my children are here, and I'm not saying "stuck" in the negative sense, only in the sense that if I had complete autonomy I'd raise them half their life in California and half in Virginia. As it is, I'm not unhappy here, and we live in an area where they will have access to great public education and local universities, I just think an overall richer childhood could be lived elsewhere. They'll do well here and hopefully at some point they choose to leave, even if they come back at some point...

Old 12-28-2020, 09:24 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,172,880 times
If you want to live in the same state as your kids then make sure the state has top opportunities in the fields in which they want to pursue. If you're in Colorado for example your kids are pretty much guaranteed to move out to pursue their dreams unless they want to be winter Olympians. Big states like CA, TX or NY might have enough of everything to increase the likelihood that they'll end up staying.
Personally I would be fine not living in the same city or state as my kids. Not really interested in becoming a free babysitting service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.