Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2021, 10:12 AM

2,226 posts, read 1,396,064 times

Advertisements

I work in Austin for a large tech company that you've heard of. You could say that we have a few offices in the Bay Area. I can assure you that zero people sitting in the Austin office think that at any point Austin or Texas will surpass the Bay Area as the center of high tech. Nor would anyone want that. We, after all, intentionally chose to locate ourselves here rather than a place with a tech monoculture that has housing prices so high people with $300k+ incomes and children rent run-down apartments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 10:17 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,783,284 times
Texas doesn’t invest enough in human capital to become the next Silicon Valley. You just can’t beat the UC schools.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:19 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Texas doesn’t invest enough in human capital to become the next Silicon Valley. You just can’t beat the UC schools.
I am a very proud graduate of UT. Great school. So imagine my surprise when I saw 5 California publics ahead of it in the rankings.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I am a very proud graduate of UT. Great school. So imagine my surprise when I saw 5 California publics ahead of it in the rankings.
The Texas state legislature has an explicit agenda for the state universities to focus on volume education of Texans rather than being selective, elite universities. UT has tried their hardest fight against this, whereas A&M has mostly went with the state and has massively expanded enrollment (It's up to 70,000 I believe).

Old 01-05-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
The Texas state legislature has an explicit agenda for the state universities to focus on volume education of Texans rather than being selective, elite universities. UT has tried their hardest fight against this, whereas A&M has mostly went with the state and has massively expanded enrollment (It's up to 70,000 I believe).
Yep. UT has been trying to decrease enrollment. They were against the degree factory model. I know their BOR and Rick Perry butted heads for a while. A&M, like most Texans, believe bigger is better. UT is a little different.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:40 AM

403 posts, read 295,865 times
Quote:
Didn't they just build like an 80 foot tower in SF? I wouldn't count that chicken just yet.
Pardon me.

It is oracle. Not Salesforce moving HQ to TX.

The same goes for Tesla. It was announced right before the holidays.

https://www.crn.com/news/cloud/oracl...ng-hq-to-texas

But reading further while their official HQ location has changed, the majority of operations will stay in California and they cite talent as one of the top reasons why operations are not moving to TX.

If anything this seems to be for Tax purposes. Just like so many companies incorporate in Delaware for tax purposes, but have little to do with business operations.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:42 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
My primary regional focus is the extended commuter shed region/emerging megaregion around the Bay.

Bay Area CSA+Sacramento CSA+Salinas MSA
2010 GDP $725,363,799,000
2019 $1,281,996,385,000
2010-2019 Growth +$556,632,586,000
2010-2019 Percent Growth +76.73%

This^ is ridiculous for just 12 million people

If the Bay Area remains expensive as hell, the exodus to the Central Valley will continue and I project the Bay Area possibly adding Sacramento in the next 2 decades. Seriously. Salinas I wouldnt be surprised if they were added next year.

The Bay Area is incredibly balkanized when it comes to planning, no city or county wants to really work with their neighbors, it's like pulling teeth. BART was rejected 60 years ago by San Mateo County and Santa Clara county and now both have stations after regretting not signing on initially, this shortsightedness and lack of looking at the bigger picture is really what's dragging the region from developing the way it should imo.

But because of incredible academic and visionary/entrepreneurial zeal of locals, immigrants and transplants alike and the seemingly limitless capital of local investors, the region still has managed to create the fastest growing economy in the United States-IMAGINE if we didnt have constraints like NIMBYISM and ridiculous RED TAPE!

It's like the state cant help but shoot themselves in the face sometimes-like when Sacramento went after Uber self driving vehicles, how IDIOTIC of Sacramento to do that, that's stifling research, Uber moved it's research and testing to Phoenix and Pittsburgh. I thought what the hell are they doing in Sac?!?

Another stupld move, after Juul becomes a $35B eCigarette company, one of the most successful startups in the city, after they bought an entire office tower in downtown, the city bans the sale of ecigarettes!(EFFING morons) So Juul MOVES TO DC.

I dont blame them one bit.

And then there's that retarded bullet train plain---I mean OMG what a bunch of IDIOTS. I support smart development that makes sense, not a BS train that as it stands will only serve agricultural counties-buffoonish. We should have built 2 separate trains(one in NorCal and one in SoCal) and then see if they should connect once each system is up and running. My 2 cents. Oh, and why the hell isnt there already a bullet train from LA to Vegas?

Anyhow...Im just thinking out loud.

Old 01-05-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Yep. UT has been trying to decrease enrollment. They were against the degree factory model. I know their BOR and Rick Perry butted heads for a while. A&M, like most Texans, believe bigger is better. UT is a little different.
I don't think it's crazy for a state university to focus on educating the state's population by any means, but definitely as a graduate I'd much prefer for the school to focus on maximizing it's academic reputation... What the UT system really needs to focus on is getting the satellite campuses to a higher level. That's where I see a huge separation between the UC system and the UT system. (UT Austin is already pretty damn good for 50k students).

Old 01-05-2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I don't think it's crazy for a state university to focus on educating the state's population by any means, but definitely as a graduate I'd much prefer for the school to focus on maximizing it's academic reputation... What the UT system really needs to focus on is getting the satellite campuses to a higher level. That's where I see a huge separation between the UC system and the UT system. (UT Austin is already pretty damn good for 50k students).
Not every school can be come one, come all. Schools need standards and I prefer UT keeps them as our flagship. Now, if you want to make Texas State, North Texas, Angelo st, etc open enrollment, great. But I want us to be up with the UCLA, UVA, UM, Berkeley's of the world.

Old 01-05-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Not every school can be come one, come all. Schools need standards and I prefer UT keeps them as our flagship. Now, if you want to make Texas State, North Texas, Angelo st, etc open enrollment, great. But I want us to be up with the UCLA, UVA, UM, Berkeley's of the world.
Agree for sure. The hardest thing for UT is probably the automatic acceptance for the top 6% of Texas HS students. That fills up a huge percentage of the slots every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.