Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 03:42 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,734,052 times

Advertisements

I didn't say those schools are at Rice's levels.
There is a huge difference between Tier 1 research institutions like UT and Rice and UTD and UH.

I am simply staying saying that UH and UTD (and TTech and UTSA) are improving greatly and becoming that next tier of schools.

And Yes UH Does receive large specialty grants.
The most recent was the 109M grant to build the new Med school, Expand the Law School and Public affairs school. But again it can't compete with Rice on endowment and private donations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2021, 03:59 PM

9,732 posts, read 6,355,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I didn't say those schools are at Rice's levels.
There is a huge difference between Tier 1 research institutions like UT and Rice and UTD and UH.

I am simply staying saying that UH and UTD (and TTech and UTSA) are improving greatly and becoming that next tier of schools.

And Yes UH Does receive large specialty grants.
The most recent was the 109M grant to build the new Med school, Expand the Law School and Public affairs school. But again it can't compete with Rice on endowment and private donations
This isn't the same thing. Of course building a medical school and expanding a law school is a very, very good thing. But it's not a specialty research institution. The Navy Applied Research Laboratories, Welch Material Science Institute, MD Anderson Cancer Research Center, etc. The types of grants you just named can be found in a broad array of schools. Not just UTD and UH but many others too.

Of the remaining Texas schools, SMU is next in line to become the next great if it plays its cards right. Baylor had a chance to join this upper echelon, but ruined it with poor decision making when they chose to grow too fast and prioritized quantity over quality. SMU to a lesser degree did this too, but to a much smaller scale to where the chance to make up is still there. UH and UTD have improved exponentially as of late, and by now, they're established with great undergraduate programs as well as graduate schools, but they're fairly new in establishing research institutions.

Old 01-02-2021, 04:03 PM

36,628 posts, read 67,158,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
California is hostile to business both in laws and taxes. Silicone valley techies get tired of their big salaries barely paying rent with nothing left over for entertainment.

When this covid work from home thing started, many techies fled to more attractive, less expensive places to live. There wouldn't be any problem getting them to move toTexas. They will go to where the jobs are.

Graduates of big universities are not chained by the ankle to San Francisco. They are allowed to move for jobs
To be honest, no one outside of media outlets really cares about employees moving--it's the unparalleled number of innovators/start up founders and venture capital that sets the Bay Area apart.

Old 01-02-2021, 04:29 PM

2,845 posts, read 2,753,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
California is hostile to business both in laws and taxes. Silicone valley techies get tired of their big salaries barely paying rent with nothing left over for entertainment.

When this covid work from home thing started, many techies fled to more attractive, less expensive places to live. There wouldn't be any problem getting them to move toTexas. They will go to where the jobs are.

Graduates of big universities are not chained by the ankle to San Francisco. They are allowed to move for jobs
How can California be "hostile to business" when it's literally the biggest corporate innovation hub in the country? This is just a one liner that Jeanine Pirro says on Fox News to get the Southerners all frothy. It means nothing.

California's problem isn't that it's "hostile to business." It's that malevolent NIMBYs have done everything to increase real estate costs for personal gain such that it's now not a good bang for your buck. If they can solve their housing problem, I think the sky's the moon.

Old 01-02-2021, 04:34 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,384,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
The point is Seattle IS NOW a tech behemoth despite lacking Boston/SF-level higher ed or SF-level venture capital.
For now. I do wonder if this is sustainable for Seattle as costs climb, WFH becomes more commonplace and quality of life issues like homelessness and tents get worse. Startup culture is more tolerant of five guys sharing a two bedroom and bouncing ideas off each other, but the tech scene in Seattle is a bit different with many workers preferring vanilla suburban places like Kirkland and Issaquah. Those same employees could just as easily live in Austin or even Dallas.

Can’t import talent forever based on COL arbitrage with SF, need also large academic institutions to draw more talent to the area despite high costs.

Old 01-02-2021, 09:30 PM

I notice some of the biggest home grown (or home raised) Texas companies weren't mentioned.

Dell, Austin
Indeed, Austin
Retro Studios, Austin
Zilliant, Austin
AT&T, DFW (originally from San Antonio)
CyrusOne, DFW
Jacob's Engineering, DFW
Texas Instruments, DFW
BMC Software, Houston
cPanel, Houston
Crown Castle, Houston
FlightAware, Houston
ForeFlight, Houston
HostGator, Houston
KBR, Houston
PROS, Houston

DFW has also been the leader in attracting outside companies in.

Axiom Space also recently got granted millions from NASA, due to hire thousands of engineers and on the way of becoming the next Space X.

Compaq and Perot Systems were acquired and maintain their home base from their parent company (part on why HPE moved to Houston). The Expedia Group is out of Washington, but most of their predecessors came from Dallas. Some of these are relatively new. Crown Castle is a recent bloomer, which soared with the 5G boom and is the second 5G tower provider now.

Austin is generally the largest product development city that operates as a satellite for the giants. Houston is the most innovation city. DFW is the most headquarters attractor and also the leader in IT centers for outside companies. But it's starting to be the norm for all to do all.

Texas is definitely much more than a "poacher" state. In fact, this trend is a recent trend. Most Texas tech companies are there from the beginning, the new ones are still the minority. There would be a lot more too, depending on what one considers a tech company.

Old 01-03-2021, 01:21 AM

12,734 posts, read 9,363,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I notice some of the biggest home grown (or home raised) Texas companies weren't mentioned.

Dell, Austin
Indeed, Austin
Retro Studios, Austin
Zilliant, Austin
AT&T, DFW (originally from San Antonio)
CyrusOne, DFW
Jacob's Engineering, DFW
Texas Instruments, DFW
BMC Software, Houston
cPanel, Houston
Crown Castle, Houston
FlightAware, Houston
ForeFlight, Houston
HostGator, Houston
KBR, Houston
PROS, Houston

DFW has also been the leader in attracting outside companies in.

Axiom Space also recently got granted millions from NASA, due to hire thousands of engineers and on the way of becoming the next Space X.

Compaq and Perot Systems were acquired and maintain their home base from their parent company (part on why HPE moved to Houston). The Expedia Group is out of Washington, but most of their predecessors came from Dallas. Some of these are relatively new. Crown Castle is a recent bloomer, which soared with the 5G boom and is the second 5G tower provider now.

Austin is generally the largest product development city that operates as a satellite for the giants. Houston is the most innovation city. DFW is the most headquarters attractor and also the leader in IT centers for outside companies. But it's starting to be the norm for all to do all.

Texas is definitely much more than a "poacher" state. In fact, this trend is a recent trend. Most Texas tech companies are there from the beginning, the new ones are still the minority. There would be a lot more too, depending on what one considers a tech company.
These companies you listed are tiny? At least the Houston ones. Dime a dozen in California. Try again.

Old 01-03-2021, 01:25 AM

12,734 posts, read 9,363,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
This isn't the same thing. Of course building a medical school and expanding a law school is a very, very good thing. But it's not a specialty research institution. The Navy Applied Research Laboratories, Welch Material Science Institute, MD Anderson Cancer Research Center, etc. The types of grants you just named can be found in a broad array of schools. Not just UTD and UH but many others too.

Of the remaining Texas schools, SMU is next in line to become the next great if it plays its cards right. Baylor had a chance to join this upper echelon, but ruined it with poor decision making when they chose to grow too fast and prioritized quantity over quality. SMU to a lesser degree did this too, but to a much smaller scale to where the chance to make up is still there. UH and UTD have improved exponentially as of late, and by now, they're established with great undergraduate programs as well as graduate schools, but they're fairly new in establishing research institutions.
Quantity is the trend in a lot of Texas univerisites, including Texas a & m. That's the Texas modell. Quantity over qualtiy. I went to UT, a very solid public. But it's probably behind 5 California publics. Bigger or more isn't always better and I understand as a Texan it's hard to veer away from that line of thinking. Even if Texas does surpass California in GDP or population, it may not get the attention or notoriety that its citizens, outside of Austin, crave and covet.

Old 01-03-2021, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
These companies you listed are tiny? At least the Houston ones. Dime a dozen in California. Try again.
Two things wrong here. First, tiny? Six of these are Fortune 500 companies. Including 2 in Houston. Some others Fortune 1000. Second, if you're keeping up with the thread, that was a response to someone else's listing. I added more notable companies to it. And you'd see I'm against calling Texas the new Silicon Valley. But I'm also against other comment's "Texas being only a poacher for other companies" non sense that's thrown out in here.

Honestly, it's hard to decide which side is more annoying at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Quantity is the trend in a lot of Texas univerisites, including Texas a & m. That's the Texas modell. Quantity over qualtiy. I went to UT, a very solid public. But it's probably behind 5 California publics. Bigger or more isn't always better and I understand as a Texan it's hard to veer away from that line of thinking. Even if Texas does surpass California in GDP or population, it may not get the attention or notoriety that its citizens, outside of Austin, crave and covet.
To be fair, UT and A&M place focus on quality as well as quantity (at least as of recent). Baylor I specifically critique for focusing more on rapid growth and quantity and lost an opportunity.

Old 01-03-2021, 06:03 PM

2,453 posts, read 2,355,898 times
very interesting, i own a tech company (small , btw 20-30 employees depending on the project) i am moving out of SF. It is not worth the cost and yes, the cocktail party full of stuffed ego's can be fun to brag about your resume but honestly my best employees doesn't hold degrees from Stanford, Caltech or whatever. No saying that there are a huge pool of talent and resources there, but as many other areas tech have become more "democratic", kinda like the film industry, you don't have to be in Hollywood to have a chance anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.