Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 12:51 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Home size was a throw off line, not the major thrust. The main point is the original post, how much income to be earned to secure a mortgage. I decided to supplement that information with an added filter of what the median household makes in said metro. That allows some rudimentary mortgage accessibility quotient. Even given California’s relatively higher income, it takes many times more of one’s income to secure a mortgage than elsewhere in the country.
Right and people with drive and initiative make it happen every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2021, 01:19 PM

403 posts, read 295,700 times
I am really curious when Pittsburgh will take off.

It is a legacy city with so many great assets. From decent transit, to highly regarded institutions of higher education, to arts and culture institutions that you find in cities 3 times its size.

Its real estate market is incredibly affordable.

I will argue that Pittsburgh offers more than Austin in most categories.

Old 01-04-2021, 01:56 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,815,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post

It is a legacy city with so many great assets. From decent transit, to highly regarded institutions of higher education, to arts and culture institutions that you find in cities 3 times its size.

It's a stunningly beautiful city too. Definitely deserves more praise.

Old 01-04-2021, 02:01 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post

Property taxes in Pittsburgh are high. The city and metro area hasn't gained population in the past decade. Austin meanwhile is growing rapidly.

Old 01-04-2021, 02:02 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Yea I don't get the undervaluation of the Burgh. Fantastic city.

Old 01-04-2021, 02:16 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,394,054 times
The climate sucks in Pittsburgh, though. It's a colder version of Seattle (which is itself a place I would probably never live for climate reasons).

Old 01-04-2021, 02:21 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,394,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Lol your comparing home sizes? Why would someone looking for the urban, high density lifestyle SF offers need as much space as someone in TX? Such an odd thing to point out.

The median home price in the inner Bay Area(Pop 6.6 million) is around $1.2 million, yet locals spend just 1-2% more of their income than people in Austin or Dallas, which are both far cheaper---shouldnt Texans be spending far less? Odd.

Oh, and you are kidding only yourself if you think TX isnt having affordability and supply issues.
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...illion-houses/

California is more expensive but Texans dont seem to be faring that much better.
That's not surprising at all. I work with many people in the Bay Area. They don't in general spend that much more on housing than people in Austin do. The big difference is that they either live in absolute hole apartments with basic amenities that are missing, or they have insane daily car commutes from places like Pleasanton or whatever. Whereas in Austin the young people are living in centrally located luxury apartments and older people have large houses. Home ownership is also much more common in Austin. But in terms of rent you are usually talking about $3k in the Bay Area vs $2-2.5k in Austin or something like that.

Last edited by JMT; 01-04-2021 at 03:53 PM..

Old 01-04-2021, 02:22 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
The climate sucks in Pittsburgh, though. It's a colder version of Seattle (which is itself a place I would probably never live for climate reasons).
Ehh i don't think its worse than Boston (more snow, wind chill) or even NYC (very very hot, humid, plus significant nasty snow, lotta rain)...

Old 01-04-2021, 03:04 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,397,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
I make $103,690 in Washington D.C. and I don't see any way the $91,548 number is accurate. I'm basically resigned to 1 bedroom condos in the city proper or suburban homes 1 hour from D.C. proper. To get a basic 2-bedroom house, I'm having to look in Frederick and Manassas, well outside the city or even the Beltway.

The big problem is the list presumes you're making a 20% downpayment. I don't know a single person in D.C. who put down $100k as down payment. Even 10% seems too high. More like 5%.
I know people who put down 20% or more because it's so expensive here they didn't want a super high mortgage, I think it just depends on your situation.

Old 01-04-2021, 03:08 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
So do I....not to mention avoiding PMI with 20%+ down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I know people who put down 20% or more because it's so expensive here they didn't want a super high mortgage, I think it just depends on your situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.