Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 10:26 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Bingo!!!! I have been ranking metro areas, retirement areas, and small towns since 1985. When I see anything from Wallethub, I roll my eyes and chuckle.
Wallethub doesn’t even do metros. It does city proper only. Hence you can have several mega suburbs from any number of sunbelt metros occupying the same lists. As lists go they are definitely bottom of the barrel and typically uninteresting. That is unless you enjoy finding out that nondescript sprawlburbs surrounding Dallas, Phoenix, and LA top statistical criteria that their list creators conjure up since it’s clear they don’t have the capability to actually mine data at the regional level.

Although I’ll give them a little credit on this list since it’s hodge podging in a few more sub cities I’ve never seen on one of their lists before. That just means they opened up their criteria to legal municipalities smaller than 250k residents for this particular list. I’ve never seen them do that before. If you look at the map you’ll notice every Dallas suburb is ranked separately. Which I’m sure is going to be super valuable to anyone moving to the DFW area not wanting to cross the road into the next suburb :eyeroll:

Last edited by mjlo; 01-07-2021 at 10:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2021, 11:36 PM

9,894 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Lewiston is way better for job seekers than Boston?
How much people look for jobs there as opposed Boston? Sure less jobs offered, but also far less competition.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:34 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
I'm glad to see the Baltimore area on the list at least.

Old 01-08-2021, 06:34 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
How much people look for jobs there as opposed Boston? Sure less jobs offered, but also far less competition.
You can't compete for things that don't exist.

Old 01-08-2021, 10:23 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
And then there are the glaring omissions: Why don't they list Provo/Orem and Ogden UT? Or Gainesville and Pensacola FL? Or Greenville SC? Or Fayetteville AR?
Taken from the methodology:

In order to determine the best job markets in the U.S., WalletHub compared 182 cities — including the 150 most populated U.S. cities, plus at least two of the most populated cities in each state — across two key dimensions, “Job Market” and “Socio-economics.”

There's your answer.

Old 01-09-2021, 05:04 PM

403 posts, read 296,284 times
Wallethub is not very accurate, and mostly a clickbait site to generate ad revenue.

I have found nearly every list they provide on nearly every subject comparing different areas to be flawed.

Old 01-09-2021, 06:20 PM

1,002 posts, read 918,138 times
Frankly speaking, Burlington VT metro is an extreme job seeker's market right now. Burger King can't find people to flip burgers for $15 an hour. The company I work for has been looking for an electrician for over a year, offering higher and higher salaries, but nobody is biting. There's a massive shortage of labor here.

Edit: Unemployment was less than 1.5% prior to Covid, and because the measures taken here have been so effective in keeping of spread of the virus minimal, that the economy hasn't been all that much impacted. So I'm sure that helps.

Last edited by EckyX; 01-09-2021 at 06:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.