Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 09:11 AM

329 posts, read 459,813 times

Advertisements

Please compare these two areas in terms of cost of living and the day to day living- what it is REALLY like. We have had some experiences but really want to get some honest opinions before moving. Family life- day to day.

We like smaller towns, a slower, more laid-back pace of life- but at the same time, the reality is we need to be able to be make a decent living with a good job market- esp. government/military sector.

Are there smaller towns near Silver Spring? We have never lived in the East Coast but have some family there, but are cautious about making the leap to the DC Metro area. Have heard about the very fast-paced lifestyle which may be very different that what we are used to. Things being much more expensive, etc.

But at the same time, we're frustrated by a lack of career growth and opportunities in the previous places we have lived.

We just don't know if our family is ready to make the leap to the DC Metro area. There may be an opportunity in the Silver Spring area.

Would love any insights especially from those who have lived in the Midwest and moved to the DC Metro area.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2021, 10:36 AM

27,213 posts, read 43,910,956 times
The DC Metro area isn't all fast-paced, yet it is a place where one can find some great career opportunity and advancement potential. Silver Spring itself is a hybrid suburban-urban center with a high-rise downtown area anchored by a Metro Station and mixed use entertainment district (commercial and residential housing). The city's population is just 80K so we're not talking an overwhelming amount of development to begin with. Outside the city center Silver Spring is green and lush with very attractive family-friendly neighborhoods like Woodside Park and Forest Glen. The whole area extending several miles in any direction is blessed with hillier topography and a ton of tree cover as part of the northern end of the Rock Creek/Rock Creek Park system which is protected National Park property that meanders through the area. Just to the south is the town of Takoma Park which gets high marks for family living. Other popular quiet suburban options are Kensington to the NW and the well known town of Chevy Chase just to the west, which is one of the few most desirable suburbs in the DC area. I think you'll find there's very little difference between what you're accustomed to currently and would be excited for the possibilities! For price point and overall better deal you might focus on North Kensington where you can find some nice homes in the 550K-650K range versus closer to 700K or 800K in other areas.

Last edited by kyle19125; 01-08-2021 at 10:47 AM..

Old 01-08-2021, 10:46 AM

Thank you so much, that really helps! I am curious to know what a family could afford as far as living options with about 100K salary. We're used to living in the Midwest so have no idea what to expect. Your description sounds much more of what we are looking for- I just don't know if we can afford living there- it would be my spouse, myself and our child entering middle school.

Old 01-08-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbrite View Post
Thank you so much, that really helps! I am curious to know what a family could afford as far as living options with about 100K salary. We're used to living in the Midwest so have no idea what to expect. Your description sounds much more of what we are looking for- I just don't know if we can afford living there- it would be my spouse, myself and our child entering middle school.
I would assume you're bringing some kind of equity from your current home so it would be good to know if that's part of the equation.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:10 PM

We will be renting, and have a medium-sized dog. Looking for family- friendly places.

Old 01-08-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbrite View Post
We will be renting, and have a medium-sized dog. Looking for family- friendly places.
Here's some good options for you, two bedrooms in the first group and three bedrooms in the second group. The threes are under $2400 and the twos under $2000.

https://www.apartments.com/the-lindl...se-md/8b5q442/
https://www.apartments.com/gables-ta...on-dc/yb85nrr/
https://www.apartments.com/encore-at...ng-md/p8rsxjs/

https://www.apartments.com/lerner-ox...le-md/rkgv0f1/
https://www.apartments.com/the-monte...da-md/9rykmh6/
https://www.apartments.com/timberlaw...le-md/elff9en/
https://www.apartments.com/round-hil...se-md/vy9dxrg/

Old 01-08-2021, 08:27 PM

Thank you Kyle! This gives us a better idea of what to expect and some areas to explore.

Old 01-08-2021, 08:49 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,772,549 times
The smaller town laid back is not really around silver spring. I mean you can possibly find some niche but you will be dealing with a bigger city vibe overall, and the price/noise/expense that goes with it. you would have to live some distance out in northern maryland to really get that.

Old 01-09-2021, 07:36 AM

Thank you Buster! We are planning a visit at some point, just want to get some insights if/before we go.

Old 01-09-2021, 10:57 AM

6,797 posts, read 4,240,302 times
Silver Spring is pretty urban. It's fairly mixed income, it feels more like D.C. than a suburb really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.