Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 09:00 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times

Advertisements

Al Gore said that the ice caps would melt by 2014. Yeah, same thoughts here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2021, 11:55 AM

16,083 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Those feeling complacent about living on a hill above the rising sea need to think again. Your cozy ocean-view home will become the airport or the naval base or the sewage disposal plant. The relocated interstate will go through your backyard. Schools, hospitals, factories -- all will be moving up hill.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:43 AM

331 posts, read 182,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
This has been "predicted" since the 1920's with no significant changes since, lol. Nothing new here.
There are maps of the Florida coast from the early 1500s. By the time of statehood in 1845, there are countless of highly detailed maps of the entire state, showing the full coastline with barrier islands, etc. I would link but I'm not sure of the rules , but you can find these with a quick google search on the University of Miami website. The coastline in 2021 looks exactly the same as it did centuries ago before all the carbon was released. Not saying this won't happen eventually, but it's so far into the future it's not really worth caring about. Hurricanes are a much more immediate threat.

Old 01-12-2021, 10:32 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
I actually live at ground zero (on Biscayne Bay), and have lived here for 19 years. In those 19 years, most of the seawalls in the neighborhood have been raised, as have the streets and sidewalks. When you look at the seawalls, you can often notice where the initial ones were, and where the subsequent increased heights of them happened. From the ones by me, they've been raised twice since initially built around a hundred years ago, and the initial ones are way below sea level. The ones that were in place when I moved here often flooded at high tides and especially during King Tides. The new ones are more than 3 feet higher than the ones that they replaced.

Old 01-12-2021, 11:18 AM

331 posts, read 182,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I actually live at ground zero (on Biscayne Bay), and have lived here for 19 years. In those 19 years, most of the seawalls in the neighborhood have been raised, as have the streets and sidewalks. When you look at the seawalls, you can often notice where the initial ones were, and where the subsequent increased heights of them happened. From the ones by me, they've been raised twice since initially built around a hundred years ago, and the initial ones are way below sea level. The ones that were in place when I moved here often flooded at high tides and especially during King Tides. The new ones are more than 3 feet higher than the ones that they replaced.
Interesting, do you have any pics or streetview links where I can see this? Is this on the west shore of Miami Beach? I live a few miles inland so I wouldn't notice gradual changes like that. And perhaps I am underestimating how much human-led mitigation efforts are responsible for the Miami barrier islands maintaining the same borders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.