Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 10:10 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post
I would definitely agree, that Pittsburgh has probably the highest amenities for a city of its size.

300,000 urban and about 2.2 Million Metro.

The only thing lacking is, its airport connectivity.

US Air, was founded in Pittsburgh and it was its main hub until the late 2000s, and it has not recovered since. BUT it was making major strides with direct flights and even international flights Pre Covid.

And is undergoing a 100+ Million dollar terminal renovation.

I would love to see a light rail system, from Pittsburgh's airport to Downtown and the Universities.
The urbanized portions of Pittsburgh account for 1.7million people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2021, 10:13 AM

824 posts, read 711,480 times
I would say some military focused cities like Killeen or Fayetteville are gonna be pretty bottom tier, downtown killeen is comparable to the main street area of a town of 5,000 not 120,000. Fayetteville isn’t much better either, those cities are basically houses, the military base, and Walmart super centers and that’s about it.

Old 01-14-2021, 10:52 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,068,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
I would say some military focused cities like Killeen or Fayetteville are gonna be pretty bottom tier, downtown killeen is comparable to the main street area of a town of 5,000 not 120,000. Fayetteville isn’t much better either, those cities are basically houses, the military base, and Walmart super centers and that’s about it.
Columbus, GA has joined the party.

Old 01-14-2021, 10:57 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Uh, nope. The LA Metro has 1 hospital bed per 448 people, which, is right at the US metro average and higher than:
Seattle (1 bed per 636 people)
San Jose (1 bed per 507 people)
Boston (1 bed per 468 people)
San Francisco (1 per 458 people)

Source: https://www.healthcaredive.com/news/...ountry/574892/
35 states limit hospital beds via certificate of need programs, to help rein in costs and avoid hospitals getting over their skis.

Old 01-14-2021, 11:50 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I don't have much experience on high amenity large cities. I would say San Francisco and Boston would likely be tops though on amenities pound for pound.
I'll just start by saying your metrics are very questionable. Your knowledge and research of LA and San Diego is also lacking.
  • Healthcare: Why does hospitals per capita signify? Does that specifically translate to proximity or access to healthcare services? Does a city have worse healthcare simply because medical facilities are more concentrated?
  • Economy: Not sure why CD focuses so much on Fortune 500 company HQs when comparing cities. It does not speak to the health/resiliency, growth/prospects, or diversity of the local economy. It's a metric for people who can't bother to look at individual industries.

Quote:
San Diego: Great scenery but on the number of companies based there it is extremely low-per capita, health care sytstem is weak with very few hospitals for such a large city. Education is middle of tier because they have UCSD and SDSU and a few smaller private universities. Airport is small for such a large metropolitan area.
San Diego is the 17th most populous region, but has the 11th-largest "education and knowledge creation" cluster. The student population continues to grow (significantly, even in 2020 despite COVID and national trends) and both SDSU and UCSD are top 10 for # of applicants nationwide. UCSD is one of the best research universities in the country and is a key reason why San Diego has the second-highest number of patents per capita in the country. Seattle, Minneapolis, Denver and Tampa are closest in MSA size to San Diego, so I'd say SD punches above its weight based on just about every metric relevant to higher education.

"health care system is weak" That's a strong statement based on...nothing?

In terms of infrastructure, SD is pretty much on pair with regions of similar size. Also, it has some of the best parks and cultural attractions in the country.

Quote:
Los Angeles: Economically extremely, extremely weak per-capita for the size. There are cities with less than 500,000 people that have more of the largest 500 companies in America based in them, extreme lack of hospitals per-capita. Airport is middle of the road.
Please provide exact evidence that "hospitals per capita" has any relevance to anything.

There are five commercial airports in greater Los Angeles and LAX is hardly "middle of the road". What on earth are you talking about? Also, LA is also an education powerhouse.

I think it's important to distinguish between legacy cities and postwar cities because many of the amenities of legacy cities were built for a far larger population.

Over-performing (Legacy)
- Pittsburgh
- Baltimore
- Boston
- maybe Cleveland and Cincinnati
- San Francisco (specifically economy)

Over-performing (postwar)
- Seattle
- Raleigh
- Salt Lake City
- Austin, Nashville likely
- maybe Portland, Denver, San Diego, Miami

Underperforming (Legacy)
- Having a hard time thinking of any. Birmingham?

Under-performing (postwar)
- Phoenix
- Riverside/inland empire
- Tampa

Old 01-14-2021, 12:09 PM

1,051 posts, read 796,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
I'll just start by saying your metrics are very questionable. Your knowledge and research of LA and San Diego is also lacking.
  • Healthcare: Why does hospitals per capita signify? Does that specifically translate to proximity or access to healthcare services? Does a city have worse healthcare simply because medical facilities are more concentrated?
  • Economy: Not sure why CD focuses so much on Fortune 500 company HQs when comparing cities. It does not speak to the health/resiliency, growth/prospects, or diversity of the local economy. It's a metric for people who can't bother to look at individual industries.

San Diego is the 17th most populous region, but has the 11th-largest "education and knowledge creation" cluster. The student population continues to grow (significantly, even in 2020 despite COVID and national trends) and both SDSU and UCSD are top 10 for # of applicants nationwide. UCSD is one of the best research universities in the country and is a key reason why San Diego has the second-highest number of patents per capita in the country. Seattle, Minneapolis, Denver and Tampa are closest in MSA size to San Diego, so I'd say SD punches above its weight based on just about every metric relevant to higher education.

"health care system is weak" That's a strong statement based on...nothing?

In terms of infrastructure, SD is pretty much on pair with regions of similar size. Also, it has some of the best parks and cultural attractions in the country.

Please provide exact evidence that "hospitals per capita" has any relevance to anything.

There are five commercial airports in greater Los Angeles and LAX is hardly "middle of the road". What on earth are you talking about? Also, LA is also an education powerhouse.
Not to pile on but, the Torrey Pines mesa in San Diego is the single largest concentration of medical research in the world. SD has a very deep and wide medical and clinical research industry.

LAX is the single largest destination airport in the world. In other words, more people start or end their trips at LAX than any other airport, as opposed to traveling through hub airports, like Atlanta. LAX is also the 4th largest in terms of total traffic. And as newgen mentioned LA has 4 other commercial airports that can land 737s or larger aircraft.

Old 01-17-2021, 12:45 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,159,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
Columbus, GA has joined the party.
Columbus is better than both of those cities.

Old 01-17-2021, 01:50 AM

496 posts, read 350,674 times
I think Philadelphia should have much better amenities than it has now for such a well-known and historically important city.

Old 01-17-2021, 02:35 AM

830 posts, read 1,017,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthCoordinate View Post
I think Philadelphia should have much better amenities than it has now for such a well-known and historically important city.
Hmmm...Can you explain that one? Between the major art museums, lauded orchestra, top culinary scene, major sports franchises, numerous and top national universities, substantial urban core with vibrant retail, historical attractions, parks, extensive transit options, and the well-connected airport, I mean, I just don't find it lacking too much, ...it has bit more grit, but certainly for its size, it's at the very least par for the course and maybe slightly underrated.

On the flip, I would argue Philly readily challenges postwar upstarts Dallas and Houston as well as your Atlanta, even Miami, etc. on the overall amenities front. The real problem I have with Philadelphia is attitude, which is personal.

Old 01-17-2021, 07:13 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
I don’t know about per capita but Scripps Torrey Pines/Green Hospital in San Diego remains one of the finest run hospital facilities I ever dealt with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.