Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 12:24 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,955,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fp1978 View Post
Come on now. There are many more places besides Atlanta. Charlotte, Charleston, Columbia, Raleigh, Savannah, Nashville, Winston-Salem, Wilmington, just to name a few, are all places where there is very, very little to worry about as far as racism goes.
Birmingham, Huntsville, Ashville, Lexington, Knoxville, Chapel Hill. The list just goes on and on. I'm always amazed by some of the kneejerk response of some of these people.

I'm a Chicago transplant in Birmingham, and I see a lot more racism in my hometown and Cleveland (my second hometown) than I ever see in what was a hotbed for the Civil Rights struggle. Oh, and on my last visit to Boston, I was stunned to hear the N Word used by Bostonians by the score. Here I thought that was supposed to be the liberal capital of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 06:55 PM

34 posts, read 36,593 times
Don't you love it. Multi-cult liberals go running to whitie-ville as soon as they have kids. "Slower pace" my arse.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:16 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,756,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh, and on my last visit to Boston, I was stunned to hear the N Word used by Bostonians by the score. Here I thought that was supposed to be the liberal capital of America.
I heard it 4 times today, though all from the same person.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:13 AM

20 posts, read 39,364 times
No, I am not looking for London in America hence my reason for moving, but what I am looking for is a racially tolerant area. I had no idea America was so divided.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
You want liberal stuff in Northern Florida/Georgia?

While were at it, can you find me a Southern Baptist church in London, and perhaps a very conservative area to go along with it?

If you want people to act like they do in London (progressive, wealthy, trendy, perhaps even a little bit snooty) I would focus your search on major cities in the USA. New York, DC, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, etc.

No I'm not looking for London in America hence my reason for moving. I am, however, looking to move to a racially tolerant area.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:23 AM

Very interesting, thankyou, perhaps America is not too disimilar to the UK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Probably 90% of all private schools in the US are church affiliated. You are most likely to find non-church affiliated private schools in the NE US. Throughout the US, a significant majority of the religiously affiliated private schools will be Catholic, probably 2/3. In the South though you will probably find a greater proportion of protestant church schools than elsewhere.

As for the issues your eldest may face, it will actually be less a racial issue than a class or cultural one. A black child with a middle or upper class British accent will not fare well among lower income American blacks. Conversely, a black child with a British accent reinforced with middle class family values will be readily accepted among most middle class whites and their parents. The reality is that the accent will rightly or wrongly set your child apart as sophisticated and well-mannered.

There's an episode of Frazier where Roz dates a English beer hall drunk and thinks he's the cats meow because of his accent.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:14 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,756,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatro View Post
No, I am not looking for London in America hence my reason for moving, but what I am looking for is a racially tolerant area. I had no idea America was so divided.
It's not like every city will have racial violence, but some will have racial tension, but that can also depend on the neighborhood in the city. The city tends to be more diverse, while the suburbs are generally majority white (though there are exceptions).

Any major city you go to shouldn't give you any problems. Sometimes small towns are more divided racially (though not always). I've heard Chicago is divided somewhat ethnically, but part of that is just because it has so many different neighborhoods which are historically Italian, or Irish or whatever.

I wouldn't worry about anyone in any major city saying anything to you. For the most part they probably wouldn't bother you. But I won't lie to you, somewhere in most cities there is probably some racial tension.

You'll be fine in most places probably, but I'd ask around a little bit first before deciding on anywhere.

I live in a rinky-dink town of 400 in southern Missouri. The landscape is beautiful, but sometimes I hear kids at High School make comments. Usually I don't hear adults make those comments, and most people probably wouldn't say it to anyone's face. I wouldn't expect any violence over it either. But if a kid takes those statements for what they actually mean (rather than some students who just want to shock people), it can hurt. There are a few blacks around here, and they seem to do alright, but if they're in school they might have to have a thick skin.

But generally in major cities it's not as big of an issue. In most large cities people couldn't get away with what they say here. They would end up hurt for the kinds of things they say.

Anyway, in any major cities I wouldn't worry about violence because of racial issues. In most cities, they probably don't even matter.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:42 AM

287 posts, read 1,023,662 times
Quote:
Oh, and on my last visit to Boston, I was stunned to hear the N Word used by Bostonians by the score. Here I thought that was supposed to be the liberal capital of America.
It's weird when I hear people say things like this, because somehow I manage to only hear someone say that once or twice in my life when I lived and worked in Boston. Yet people who are there for a couple days apparently hear the N word everywhere. Call me suspicious. I love this game we get into sometimes on this board, your town is more racist than my town.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:34 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,955,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedripeplum View Post
It's weird when I hear people say things like this, because somehow I manage to only hear someone say that once or twice in my life when I lived and worked in Boston. Yet people who are there for a couple days apparently hear the N word everywhere. Call me suspicious. I love this game we get into sometimes on this board, your town is more racist than my town.
Yeah, and I'm suspicious when I hear arguments denying this kind of incident. I was in South Boston consulting on a construction project, hanging out with all kinds o' blue collar types. Trust me. The N-Bomb was slung around a lot. I remember Boston a lot in the news in the late 70s. Kind of made George Wallace look positively enlightened.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:37 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,602,078 times
I'm surprised no one has tried to get you to move to Omaha or Louisville yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.