Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 07:44 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,840,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpshooterTom View Post
Whenever I read discussion threads online whether its here, reddit, from people from countries in Western Europe, Canada, Australia etc expressing a desire to move to the US, I often see a reaction of surprise or even bewilderment from many Americans themselves. Like "Why would you give up your free healthcare, paid annual leave, maternity leave, lower crime, lower college tuition to move here for?!".

I get the US as a society has some serious flaws (like any country really), but there obviously things the US does just as well if not better than other countries.

Do Americans find it a bit surprising when they hear Canadians, Europeans, Aussies etc going to great lengths to try to move to the US?
OP, you make it sound like there are the equivalent of huge "caravans" of people from Canada, Australia, and Western Europe who want to come here. There aren't.

The relatively small numbers of them who want to come, do. But ever notice that the overwhelming majority of immigrants come from Latin America, Asia, Africa, and the Middle East?

Why do you think that is?

Because people from stable, calm, peaceful countries with high QOL don't want to come to a country as socially/politically unstable as ours. DC is in lockdown right now; we're being told to stay at home for the next few days. Total madness. You'd think the US was a freaking banana republic.

There are reportedly 8,000 Hondurans heading our way right now. Not 8,000 Canadians. Not 8,000 Australians. Not 8,000 Western Europeans. Because, for the Hondurans, the instability here is nothing compared to what they're coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I find that this type of response comes from left-wing Americans who have idealized Europe into some sort of utopia without really knowing a ton about Europe.
My family is made up of European immigrants, and I know that there aren't many Europeans clamoring to come to the US (or to Canada). For the most part, they're very happy where they are.

Old 01-17-2021, 09:16 PM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Am I surprised? No, but the statistics dictate that Europeans don’t move here much anymore.

Old 01-17-2021, 09:49 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,503 times
Not really. West Europe, Canada, Australia and even Japan aren't perfect and sometimes, a move to the USA is a step up. But it's definitely not common and I'd say a bit rare.

Where as immigration to the US from majority of Eastern Europe, Asia, Africa, Central America, Caribbean and South America are much more understandable as there's more dysfunction in those areas than the US.

Old 01-18-2021, 03:40 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,600,617 times
The US has a few great advantages. It's a huge and varied and uncrowded country where you are free to wander. And it is a populous market where economy of scale keeps costs down. And Americans are pretty nice.

Old 01-18-2021, 05:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
It's very difficult to move permanently to any other country legally. Keep that in mind. And if one has family ties to a country it's even more difficult.

So it's always interesting to me to find out someone is from a foreign country but I wouldn't say I am SURPRISED. I'm more curious than surprised.

I know that no place is perfect but I love the US and I love being an American.

Old 01-18-2021, 07:47 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Let’s face the truth.

If you can’t become economically successful in the United States, then you probably won’t make it in any other country either.

Old 01-18-2021, 08:28 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Let’s face the truth.

If you can’t become economically successful in the United States, then you probably won’t make it in any other country either.
Another truth: Even a moderately successful, hard working American who suffers a catastrophic illness or accident is likely to go bankrupt and set back the economic mobility of their family for a generation or two.

For the most part, such a fate is not something most Europeans worry about, much less have a reasonable chance of facing.

If you are not economically successful in the United States you will suffer, possibly die under a bridge, or at the very least live the last months or years of your uneccesarily shortened life as a pauper while your children scramble, having to start from scratch while paying to keep you alive.

On the plus side, the upper management and CEOs of American health insurance and pharmaceutical companies have some of the most luxurious lifestyles in the world. They have so much money they don't know how to spend it!

Old 01-18-2021, 08:38 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Oh please, the middle class in the US is huge. "In spite of" all the supposed economic hardships, including but not limited to a worldwide pandemic. It's the largest class of people in the US (52 percent according to Pew Research). 19 percent (right at 1 in 5) of Americans are upper class, with a median income of nearly $190,000.
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...come-families/

Old 01-18-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Let’s face the truth.

How do you know this "truth"? Have you ever lived outside of the US?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.