U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 06:24 PM

12 posts, read 8,757 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone.

I have a unique opportunity to move almost anywhere I want to in the US right now. I'm hoping that wherever I move will be a place I'll settle down and eventually start a small business.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

About me:

-Single, 25-year-old lesbian. I'd like to meet and settle down with a woman within the next couple years, but I've never been part of the typical "gay scene" and don't see myself becoming active in it. Somewhere that I can have a decent chance of meeting women is enough.

-Politically conservative. I'm well-aware that almost every major city in the US has more progressives than conservatives, but I'd like to stay away from those that have an extreme reputation (SF, Oakland, Seattle, etc).

-Would ideally like to live in a large or medium-sized city. Safety, cleanliness, and general upkeep of the city are important to me.

-I'm admittedly bougie. I like my Starbucks, Whole Foods, etc.

-Would like to be near plenty of nature.

-Walkable / compact cities strongly preferred over sprawl.

-I like all four seasons.

-Would like ~$1,500 a month in rent to get me as close as I can to a luxury apartment.

I've lived in the following places:

1.) San Diego. Liked the beaches, the variety of great neighborhoods, coffee shops / restaurants, general safety and upkeep of the city. Disliked the pretty much year-round warm (and often humid) weather.

2.) Palo Alto. Liked the safety, more seasonality than SD, cleanliness. Disliked the absurd cost of living, the extreme progressive bubble, and after living there for 2 years, I was bored and felt like I had seen pretty much all there was to see.

3.) Los Angeles. Liked the variety of neighborhoods, proximity to beaches, plenty to do and see, lived there for 4 years and still wasn't bored of it. Disliked the traffic and weather.

4.) Washington, DC. Liked the seasons, weather, beautiful nature, gorgeous architecture, variety of neighborhoods, plenty to do and see, cleanliness, safety. Disliked the cost of living and the progressive bubble.

5.) Philadelphia. Liked the seasons, weather, walkability, cost of living. Disliked the dirtiness, lack of upkeep of many of the city's buildings/streets, lack of feeling safe in many parts of the city as a young female.

-

Any suggestions? I'm currently looking at Nashville, Princeton (I know, not a city, but it checks a lot of my boxes...I just fear I'd get bored), and Colorado Springs, but I'm very open to suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 06:32 PM

367 posts, read 149,793 times
Nashville ticks a lot of your boxes, I think. If you have the chance to visit these places I would try and do so!

Old 01-19-2021, 08:37 PM

6,992 posts, read 10,946,346 times
I second Nashville! I think it would be a great city for you to look into. Also Kansas City. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised that you'll find an LGBT community out there. Both are clean, mostly safe, and have excellent support systems for small businesses.

Old 01-19-2021, 09:19 PM

4,825 posts, read 7,193,181 times
Chicago would offer a variety of walkable neighborhoods (it’s easy to be single and live car-free), a good LGTQ scene (hey, the mayor is lesbian after all), four seasons, all the urban amenities you’d want, and plenty of housing options in good safe neighborhoods. Plenty of great parks and you’d think Lake Michigan is an ocean if you didn’t know better. Beaches in the city itself and others nearby. And Chicago is Democratic and generally tolerant, but not the same intense political/social liberalism as the big coastal cities.

You don’t say what type of business you’re hoping to start later on, but wherever you end up, make sure that the business is compatible with the city.

Good luck

Last edited by citylove101; 01-19-2021 at 09:44 PM..

Old 01-19-2021, 09:26 PM

629 posts, read 210,467 times
Portland or Seattle. Some people really are into Denver. Nothing against Nashville, but last time I was there 1.5 years ago, the restaurant prices were as high as NYC or SF. All seemed sort of pretentious. Oakland is nice.

Old 01-19-2021, 10:38 PM

6,992 posts, read 10,946,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Chicago would offer a variety of walkable neighborhoods (it’s easy to be single and live car-free), a good LGTQ scene (hey, the mayor is lesbian after all), four seasons, all the urban amenities you’d want, and plenty of housing options in good safe neighborhoods. Plenty of great parks and you’d think Lake Michigan is an ocean if you didn’t know better. Beaches in the city itself and others nearby. And Chicago is Democratic and generally tolerant, but not the same intense political/social liberalism as the big coastal cities.
Are you freaking kidding me? Chicago is the EXACT same liberalism and overly expensive city the op clearly said she's trying to escape from. And she said wanted a SAFE city.

Old 01-20-2021, 12:08 AM

933 posts, read 1,076,288 times
I have heard Boise is actually quite a nice little city. For a bigger one, Denver seems like a good bet.

Old 01-20-2021, 12:42 AM

3,862 posts, read 4,339,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I have heard Boise is actually quite a nice little city. For a bigger one, Denver seems like a good bet.
Was really impressed with Boise. Clean with plenty of interesting restaurants/shops downtown and far more walkable than I expected. Reasonably high energy as well.

City seemed moderate political though the state is certainly GOP, could be the right political setting for the OP.

Old 01-20-2021, 02:48 AM

4,825 posts, read 7,193,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Are you freaking kidding me? Chicago is the EXACT same liberalism and overly expensive city the op clearly said she's trying to escape from. And she said wanted a SAFE city.
You clearly have not spent a lot of time in Chicago.

Last edited by JMT; 01-24-2021 at 03:35 PM..

Old 01-20-2021, 06:37 AM

12 posts, read 8,757 times
Thanks so much for the suggestions so far! Please keep 'em coming.

Another place a friend suggested to me was Annapolis. I visited once when I lived in DC and thought it was gorgeous. Since the Naval Academy is there, and there seems to be a lot of support for the military, I'm thinking it might be more moderate politically too.

Concerns: Safety? Too small?

Thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.