Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 10:11 AM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Again, I personally don't think crime should be in it. Now blight should absolutely be in it, but crime is what it is. It is part of living in a Black neighborhood because of our country's racist past and 400 years of oppression. I don't think about crime. I have never been a victim of crime thank God.
Well I’ve been a victim of crime, actual crimes in lower density areas than Harlem. I’ve had my home broken into multiple times, been tied upside down to a telephone pole and robbed, bike stolen, friend shot, car stolen. And known a few people mugged or attempted mugging. I’ve heard stories of a friend getting her hair done and people broke into the apartment looking for drugs just to discover they hit the wrong apartment.

When I see people out and about eating, walking, laughing, chillin… I feel safer than when I’m in low density Edmondson Avenue or Park Heights. Even in Roxbury just walking up MLk from Waverly to Townsend my friend gave me the choice between a brick a knife and a police baton because I was making the .4 mile walk at 10pm (he gave me the brick after I asked for the baton) But I digress .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2022, 10:13 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I'd say Anacostia makes just as much of a case as Shaw/U Street does by now. It's just that corridor in NW DC is more classic EC city urbanity.
I was going to say this too Resident09.

Anacostia (Ward 8 in DC)

Black Owned Businesses in Anacostia

Enlightened, Inc., IT and Management Consultant Firm (Relocated 150 employees from Downtown DC to Anacostia in 2022)

We Act Radio Studio

WACIF (Relocating to Anacosita from Ward 5 in 2022)

The HIVE

Black Owned Shops and Galleries in Anacostia

Mahogany Books

Nubian Hueman

Vintage and Charmed

Honfleur Gallery

Check It

La Threadz Couture

Anacostia Art Gallery Boutique

Black Owned Bank in Anacostia

Industrial Bank (Anacostia Location)

Black Owned Grocery Store in Anacostia

Fresh Food Factory

Black Owned Existing Restaurants in Anacostia

Open Crumb DC

Busboys and Poets (Anacostia Location)

Turning Natural (Anacostia Location)

Mama's Pizza Kitchen

E Life Restaurant

Tony's Place (Anacostia Location)

Black Owned Restaurants Coming Soon in Anacostia

Kitchen Savages

DC Smokehouse (Anacostia Location)

Sweet Tooth Cakes and Pastries Bakery (Anacostia Location)

Black Owned Health and Wellness in Anacostia

Oral Surgery DC

Chirokei

Animal Clinic of Anacostia (Veterinarian)

Black Owned Theater in Anacostia

Anacostia Arts Center Black Box Theater

Old 04-18-2022, 10:17 AM

509 posts, read 432,607 times
In Lynchburg, VA historically the near-downtown areas along 5th and 12th Streets of Diamond Hill, Daniels Hill, College Hill an Tinbridge Hill. Specifically around the Pierce Street Renaissance District/Anne Spencer House and the Legacy Museum of African American History. However, three decades of steady gentrification in these areas have eroded the African American population significantly and as of the 2020 Census the African American percent has gone from 76% in 1990 to 56% in 2020 in these areas while the White, non-Hispanic population has gone from 20% in 1990 to 34% in 2020.

http://www.annespencermuseum.com/neighborhood.php

Here are a couple of maps that show how much the in-town areas in and around downtown of the city have changed since 1990 by Census Tract (I have circled the before mentioned areas for reference):

Last edited by dbcook1; 04-18-2022 at 10:33 AM..

Old 04-18-2022, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Well I’ve been a victim of crime, actual crimes in lower density areas than Harlem. I’ve had my home broken into multiple times, been tied upside down to a telephone pole and robbed, bike stolen, friend shot, car stolen. And known a few people mugged or attempted mugging. I’ve heard stories of a friend getting her hair done and people broke into the apartment looking for drugs just to discover they hit the wrong apartment.

When I see people out and about eating, walking, laughing, chillin… I feel safer than when I’m in low density Edmondson Avenue or Park Heights. Even in Roxbury just walking up MLk from Waverly to Townsend my friend gave me the choice between a brick a knife and a police baton because I was making the .4 mile walk at 10pm (he gave me the brick after I asked for the baton) But I digress .
First, I'm sorry all that has happened to you. There is a lot of trauma associated with your experiences and I hope you have someone to talk about all that stuff with.

As for seeing people out. That is safer which is why having eyes on the street is so important. Now, residential neighborhoods don't have eyes on the street. Only areas near commercial corridors have eyes on the street. My best friend lived in a rowhouse apartment in Bedstuy near Ralph Avenue and I can't tell you how many times I was walking around and there wasn't a single person on the street.

Old 04-18-2022, 10:38 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I was going to say this too Resident09.

Anacostia (Ward 8 in DC)

Black Owned Businesses in Anacostia

Enlightened, Inc., IT and Management Consultant Firm (Relocated 150 employees from Downtown DC to Anacostia in 2022)

We Act Radio Studio

WACIF (Relocating to Anacosita from Ward 5 in 2022)

The HIVE

Black Owned Shops and Galleries in Anacostia

Mahogany Books

Nubian Hueman

Vintage and Charmed

Honfleur Gallery

Check It

La Threadz Couture

Anacostia Art Gallery Boutique

Black Owned Bank in Anacostia

Industrial Bank (Anacostia Location)

Black Owned Grocery Store in Anacostia

Fresh Food Factory

Black Owned Existing Restaurants in Anacostia

Open Crumb DC

Busboys and Poets (Anacostia Location)

Turning Natural (Anacostia Location)

Mama's Pizza Kitchen

E Life Restaurant

Tony's Place (Anacostia Location)

Black Owned Restaurants Coming Soon in Anacostia

Kitchen Savages

DC Smokehouse (Anacostia Location)

Sweet Tooth Cakes and Pastries Bakery (Anacostia Location)

Black Owned Health and Wellness in Anacostia

Oral Surgery DC

Chirokei

Animal Clinic of Anacostia (Veterinarian)

Black Owned Theater in Anacostia

Anacostia Arts Center Black Box Theater
Yep. That list is pretty impressive, for just one "tiny" neighborhood in a major city.

Old 04-18-2022, 10:40 AM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcook1 View Post
In Lynchburg, VA historically the near-downtown areas along 5th and 12th Streets of Diamond Hill, Daniels Hill, College Hill an Tinbridge Hill. Specifically around the Pierce Street Renaissance District/Anne Spencer House and the Legacy Museum of African American History. However, three decades of steady gentrification in these areas have eroded the African American population significantly and as of the 2020 Census the African American percent has gone from 76% in 1990 to 56% in 2020 in these areas while the White, non-Hispanic population has gone from 20% in 1990 to 34% in 2020.

Neighborhood

Here are a couple of maps that show how much the in-town areas in and around downtown of the city have changed since 1990 by Census Tract (I have circled the before mentioned areas for reference):

Are there any other notable changes in terms of businesses and housing in these areas?

Old 04-18-2022, 11:05 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,813,609 times
Shaw in DC isn't the most Black neighborhood in D.C. by %, but it's probably the most "militantly Black" neighborhood (not said as a pejorative) since its Black population is largely politically active, very visible, and more well-off. So it's the neighborhood where Blackness is acutely everywhere. Anacostia would be #2 given its historical importance (home of Frederick Douglass, and still serves as the "Capital of Southeast DC" in a way).

The Blackest neighborhoods would be across the Anacostia, but they're usually very poor and dangerous, so not really trend-setting or acting as "epicenters."

Then you have suburban counties like mine (Prince William) where the Black population is well-off, is large (22%), but there's a lot of intermixing with other races (42% White, 25% Latino, 9% Asian), so it's more melting pot than Black epicenter.

Old 04-18-2022, 11:29 AM

509 posts, read 432,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Are there any other notable changes in terms of businesses and housing in these areas?
Most notable changes have been in housing with just over 1,000 new luxury loft and condo units added to the center city over the past decade with very little in the way of new affordable housing (I can only think of around 50 affordable units that have been added to the center city). Many historic properties have been bought up and completely renovated pushing up prices. Most of the new affordable housing is being concentrated on the fringe areas along Florida Avenue for example. Prices have gone up dramatically around downtown in the past few years and have outpaced citywide growth in property values. One-bedroom condos are now going for $300k in the center city which was unthinkable even five years ago. The biggest hit to affordable housing downtown was redevelopment of 80 affordable units at the Virginian into a boutique Curio brand Hilton Hotel with rooftop bar and steakhouse in 2018. Residents were 90% minority and given only a couple months to relocate. The revitalization of downtown is really starting to move up 5th and 12th Streets and having a noticeable impact on the area. It is also noticeable to me that family demographics of the urban core are changing too with mostly minority families and kids moving out and mostly white young professionals without kids or (or just newborns if they do have kids), retirees/empty nesters, and students moving in.

Businesses are changing too. Downtown and surrounding areas in general were hit hard by white flight and suburbanization of commerce leaving most properties vacant in the center city by the 90s. The past decade has seen a resurgence in business, but it is visibly catering to those with lots of disposal income (craft breweries, wine bars, upscale restaurants, rooftop bars, boutiques, cigar shops, art galleries, coffeeshops, and coworking spaces).

5th Street was the historic African American business corridor, but I would say almost all the businesses there now are white owned and focused on mid to upper scale dining. They are trying to get a statue funded honoring the historic business community there in roundabout at 5th and Federal Streets. Unfortunately though some of these businesses don't understand that they are still in a majority African American area despite all the gentrification and displacement and one business on 5th Street made a very racist public comment on their Facebook site about the BLM movement which resulted in the restaurant getting weeks of protests escalating into violence that resulted in the whole kitchen staff quitting and the restaurant closing down for good soon after.

The Downtown Association tries hard to promote what few African American businesses remain so hopefully they can endure. Not surprisingly the urban core (with 10k residents) is still very much a food desert with the closest grocery stores 4 - 5 miles away and only convenience stores and expensive restaurants in these areas. The city as a whole has managed to retain its African American population and keep it from shrinking since the late 1990s (unlike say Asheville, Greenville, Richmond, DC, or Charleston), but displacement is still occurring as the African American population relocates to the extreme edges of the city around Timberlake Rd, Fort Ave, and Forest Rd.

Last edited by dbcook1; 04-18-2022 at 11:42 AM..

Old 04-18-2022, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Shaw in DC isn't the most Black neighborhood in D.C. by %, but it's probably the most "militantly Black" neighborhood (not said as a pejorative) since its Black population is largely politically active, very visible, and more well-off. So it's the neighborhood where Blackness is acutely everywhere. Anacostia would be #2 given its historical importance (home of Frederick Douglass, and still serves as the "Capital of Southeast DC" in a way).

The Blackest neighborhoods would be across the Anacostia, but they're usually very poor and dangerous, so not really trend-setting or acting as "epicenters."

Then you have suburban counties like mine (Prince William) where the Black population is well-off, is large (22%), but there's a lot of intermixing with other races (42% White, 25% Latino, 9% Asian), so it's more melting pot than Black epicenter.
This is incorrect. The most politically active, visible, and well off African American neighborhoods are in Ward 7. Many DC mayors have lived in Hillcrest in Ward 7. The oldest most powerful and prominent civic associations in the entire city are located in Ward 7.

Deanwood Citizens Association (Founded in 1912)
Capitol View Civic Association (Founded in 1932)
Eastland Gardens Civic Association (Founded in 1935)**Yes, that is Eleanor Holmes Norton at the EGCA meeting.**
Penn Branch Civic Association (Founded in 1982)
Hillcrest Community Civic Association (Founded in 1989)
Dupont Park Civic Association (Unknown)

Ward 7 Income Data

Under $50K = 15,383 households (51.4%)

$50K - $100K = 8,401 households (28.1%)

$100K - $200K = 4,624 households (15.4%)

Over $200K = 1,533 households (5.1%)

Ward 7 Race Data

Black = 76,009 people (90.2%)

Hispanic = 3,393 people (4%)

White = 2,281 people (2.7%)

Asian = 323 people (0.4%)

Two or More = 1,484 people (1.8%)

Wealthiest Black Neighborhoods in DC Are Located in Ward 7

Hillcrest Neighborhood (78% Black)(Median Income: $119,861)

Penn Branch Neighborhood (74% Black) (Median Income: $119,464)

Census Data Source

Last edited by MDAllstar; 04-18-2022 at 01:39 PM..

Old 04-18-2022, 01:08 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
Surprised nobody has chimed in on Chicago.

Hyde Park, hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.