Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 07:56 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Miami is both—malls include Aventura, Bal Harbour, Dadeland, Dolphin, Sawgrass, Shops at Merrick Park etc....street level includes Miracle Mile, Design District (I don’t consider this a mall—more like Rodeo Drive), Lincoln Road Mall (again, open air/outdoors and street / walk path accessible) and Worth Avenue in Palm Beach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
New York metro is overwhelmingly both. NYC is obviously the king of street oriented shopping and then you have all the pretty main street towns in the suburban enclaves in NJ, LI, Hudson Valley and Fairfield. Then there's all the malls in retail havens like Paramus. The metro area spans the entire gamut.

Paramus is like malls on crack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2021, 08:21 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekphone View Post
San Jose - street oriented
Oakland - not sure
I wonder how you know San Jose is street oriented, but are unsure about Oakland, a city in the urban core of the Bay Area and the heart of one of the most densely populated corridors in the country? Just found that odd.

Oakland's retail is definitely street oriented. There are no malls in the city at all.

Old 03-27-2021, 08:26 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
I think we should differentiate between downtown shopping malls and suburban malls that are huge boxes surrounded by hundreds of acres of parking lots.

Yes, San Francisco Center is a "mall" ,but it's located on a very busy pedestrian street and with a major subway station directly underneath it.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ket_Street.jpg

Old 03-27-2021, 08:34 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Is Boston street oriented? Copley Place, Prudential Center, Cambridgeside Galleria lots of big malls in the city center
Newbury, Boylston, Downtown Crossing, Fenway, Chinatown, Commonwealth Ave in Brookline, but then practical shopping is also done in the street in. The various squares(Uphams Corner, Centre Street/Hyde Square, Mattapan Square Ferry Square in Everett, Malden Center, Codman Square, Quincy Center, Harvard Square, Central Square, Davis Square, Clearly Square, and commercial corridors everywhere (Dot Ave, Mass Ave, Blue Hill Ave/Nubian Square/Grove Hall) as opposed to strip malls.

The malls are also superb (Chestnut Hill Mall, Natick Mall, South Shore Plaza, North Shore Mall, Westgate Mall, CambridgeSide...) but it's noted most for street level shopping in the core and has much more of it than almost any metro that's not New York.

Overall, Boston is a shopping rich area with large, modern, attractive, lively, malls and many shopping thoroughfares. As well as open air malls like Legacy Place, Assembly Square, Faneuil Hall, and South Bay.

Old 03-27-2021, 08:59 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekphone View Post
Detroit - surprisingly, I've heard Woodward Avenue is a decent shopping street
Woodward was for sure a premier shopping destination pre1970s. It was abandoned by the 90s. It's mostly come back over the last 10 years and there are some decent brands on it now. Still the premier shopping in Detroit is going to happen 16 miles north at the Somerset Collection in Troy, and to a lesser extent at 12 Oaks Mall out in Novi.

Old 03-27-2021, 09:35 AM

58 posts, read 35,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Newbury and Boylson Streets don't count?
Yeah, those are the two I was thinking of - Newbury street is a primary shopping street in Boston.

When I classified certain cities "mall-oriented", I guess I was thinking of cities that don't have most of the shops concentrated on a street downtown, or in the downtown area in some form - sometimes "malls" are organically incorporated into the urban fabric, which I consider to be more "street-oriented" or mixed shopping.

Old 03-27-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I think we should differentiate between downtown shopping malls and suburban malls that are huge boxes surrounded by hundreds of acres of parking lots.

Yes, San Francisco Center is a "mall" ,but it's located on a very busy pedestrian street and with a major subway station directly underneath it.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ket_Street.jpg
What I was thinking

Old 03-27-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I wonder how you know San Jose is street oriented, but are unsure about Oakland, a city in the urban core of the Bay Area and the heart of one of the most densely populated corridors in the country? Just found that odd.

Oakland's retail is definitely street oriented. There are no malls in the city at all.
I actually haven't been to either city, only SF. I knew about Santana Row.

Old 03-27-2021, 09:41 AM

With people answering both - most metro areas in the country would really be both - I reserved the "street-oriented" label for cities that I figured had at least one robust shopping street with a notable handful of big-name brands on it.

Old 03-27-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigorunner View Post
Disagree highly with Seattle being a street shopping city, most of the "serious shopping" (besides mostly small, expensive stores located in certain areas of downtown) is found in Bellevue or in malls surrounding the city proper. Seattle's urbanism is highly overrated in my opinion, and I might catch some flack for that, but I find most of the downtown of the city to be rather devoid of street level shopping, and low amount of pedestrians considering the metro population. Obviously this is changing fast with the development of apartments in the city's core but I have found Portland and Vancouver to both be more "lively" than Seattle.
Seattle has Pine St. and a fair bit of decent street level shopping downtown, with a number of big department stores. I wasn't parsing liveliness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.