U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 10:31 AM

36 posts, read 27,211 times

Advertisements

As the title says, which city do you find it easiest to make friends?

This isn't necessarily about the friendliest. That just means that people are nice and will chat with strangers.

I'm talking about actually meeting someone new and then going on to build a relationship with that person.

I know this is highly variable depending on the person, but I do think you can control this a bit by city.

For instance, cities that are high in transplant/expats should be easier (in my experience, DC was great), but I've also found that other transplant places like SF require some litmus testing or being into hobbies central to that city (like I'm guessing being into outdoorsy type stuff will make you more friends in Boulder or Boise).

What are other people's thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2021, 11:07 AM
Status: "City Planner looking to bring TOD to you" (set 7 days ago)

10,296 posts, read 5,490,719 times
Charlotte, Nasville, Austin, Durham

Old 03-28-2021, 11:09 AM

6,679 posts, read 8,039,396 times
Charlotte and Raleigh Durham was great for making friends.

Chicago is as well as long as you choose the right neighborhood.

I've not had a problem making friends in St. Louis but I live in the city. I've heard from transplants that the suburbs are not as friendly to outsiders.

Memphis was horrible for making friends especially if you are from "up north", non religious or no family ties in the area.

Old 03-28-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post

I've not had a problem making friends in St. Louis but I live in the city. I've heard from transplants that the suburbs are not as friendly to outsiders.

Memphis was horrible for making friends especially if you are from "up north", non religious or no family ties in the area.
^ really like Chicago to for making friends.. everyone is friendly. But Im in Durham now, so easy to just talk to people.

Old 03-28-2021, 01:44 PM

348 posts, read 232,504 times
I've heard it is easy to make friends in the Denver, CO area which is where I am considering relocating.

Old 03-28-2021, 01:59 PM

15,993 posts, read 24,240,995 times
Any transient/transplant city will be easy. Like Denver.

Old 03-29-2021, 07:02 AM

6,778 posts, read 3,783,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post

The example with Memphis can have more to do with differences than anything else. My wife and I lived in the Boston area for a year and a half helping care for my MIL. It was a very hard area to make friends. As soon as they heard our accents and/or knew we were Christians, the demeanor changed. They weren't hostile, but were turned off (generally speaking). 98% of everyone we knew were friends of my in-laws, my wife's family, and people at the church we attended there. In terms of how easy it is to make friends, it can depend a lot on how open people are and not extreme on either end. That varies a great deal from my experience. As long as EVERYONE is live/let live, it will be easier to get to know people.

Old 03-29-2021, 09:29 AM

37 posts, read 30,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
My wife and I lived in the Boston area for a year and a half helping care for my MIL. It was a very hard area to make friends. As soon as they heard our accents and/or knew we were Christians, the demeanor changed. They weren't hostile, but were turned off (generally speaking).
In my experience, the Boston area was easy to make friends. But I'm not Christian or from the south.

But I think you are correct, that it is a matter of finding a place with a critical mass of people who share similar interests/values to you. And a large enough population of people from "elsewhere" so that there are people who aren't already super-settled into their friend/family groups.

Old 03-29-2021, 04:14 PM

9,208 posts, read 7,888,087 times
Minneapolis, Charlotte, Des Moines, Nashville, Raleigh, Greenville. All very friendly places.

Old 03-29-2021, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
The example with Memphis can have more to do with differences than anything else. My wife and I lived in the Boston area for a year and a half helping care for my MIL. It was a very hard area to make friends. As soon as they heard our accents and/or knew we were Christians, the demeanor changed. They weren't hostile, but were turned off (generally speaking). 98% of everyone we knew were friends of my in-laws, my wife's family, and people at the church we attended there. In terms of how easy it is to make friends, it can depend a lot on how open people are and not extreme on either end. That varies a great deal from my experience. As long as EVERYONE is live/let live, it will be easier to get to know people.
Boston (Like New York, DC, ettc) is fast paced, open-minded and similar in political leaning.

While it is a place that helps if you grew up with friends and kept them through adulthood, making friends in the 20-35 year old range in Boston is easy. Everytime Im out in Boston I gain a new friend on snapchat and IG follower. Its not as easy as other younger liberal places like Charlotte, Raleigh, Denver, etc.. but its not hard either.

It is a very progressive area and judging by your previous anti-BLM, pro-church posts in the past, that is an easy ticket to offend the average Bostonian and then get isolated. People there work hard and a lot of people work on things in relation to that subject. Sure there are exceptions, but nobody has time for that. I do agree people in Boston are less confrontational than NYC, which is annoying because you can get ghosted whereas in NYC you know right away if someone doesn't like you or not. Boston its like guessing game at time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.