U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 09:05 AM

1,242 posts, read 330,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwy View Post
Thank you Everyone who answered so far!

For the people who are NOT naming a specific food for me to taste, because you are saying everything at a particular restaurant is good, would you mind naming something specific for me to try? I would hate to travel hundreds of miles to a different State to try a restaurant, but because I wasn't given a specific item to try I end up missing out on that establishment's BEST tasting dish!

Again thank you everyone for your recommendations and places keep them coming!
Well, I can't give you a best dish at the high end Italian places I gave because I always get something different when we go. We do, however, always order the prosciutto and melon appetizer at The Cellar, usually the carpaccio as well.

For Casa Maya, again, I usually order something different, but I have gotten the pork belly tacos a few times. My DH likes their pibil so he'll order something with a pabil filling fairly often. We always get their guacamole, sometimes the street corn appy.

Oh, another place, Paducah, KY, House of Grace. The California chicken salad is fantastic. I've eaten it for over 40 years. Sadly, I have to make it at home because we live so far away now, but when I go to Paducah, I always get it. The ice tea too that has mint leaves and white grape juice. If they have it, their version of an Italian Wedding Cake, pecans, coconut, cream cheese frosting.

Last edited by Medtran49; 03-31-2021 at 09:17 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2021, 10:47 AM

6,596 posts, read 2,858,804 times
Charleston, SC - One of our favorite places is Fleet Landing Seafood. Great seafood/southern dishes. Right on the Cooper River before it empties into the Atlantic, so the view are excellent. Affordable. Awesome service.

Old 03-31-2021, 08:40 PM

6,226 posts, read 14,937,730 times
Some memorable meals I have enjoyed...

Walleye dinner, Tavern On Grand, St. Paul, MN
Pizza, Fat Lorenzo's, Minneapolis
BBQ, Oklahoma Joe's, Kansas City, KS
Sicilian Pizza, Mineo's, Pittsburgh
Fish fry, Turner's Hall, Milwaukee

Old 04-01-2021, 05:36 PM

3,563 posts, read 3,615,145 times
Default Steaks!

Jockos in Nipomo! It's in the San Luis Obisbo area in California. Make reservations, be very very hungry!

Also, while Redding, Ca. is basically a big truck stop of 100K people between Sacramento and Oregon, (but it's beautiful at the lakes!) Jacks Grill on California street is quite the experience! I think it opened in 1927 and it's a small place and half of it is a bar! The menu's been the same since forever too.
Warning, it's first come first serve and can be a pretty long wait on Friday and Saturday nights. If you go in summer, it will be HOT waiting outside. Redding is HOT!

Old 04-11-2021, 06:56 AM

8,566 posts, read 4,953,413 times
Meant to mention that there are a number of road food travel forums that are fun to read even if you aren't traveling. Here's one that's on my list of favorites:

https://roadfood.com/Forums/

I never take a trip without reading what I can find about the local specialties.

Old 04-11-2021, 08:18 AM

57,175 posts, read 45,649,885 times
Bernard's Mediterranean Restaurant
Eat anything there, but the sea bass is out of this world, just sayin'.
Tyler, Texas (NE Texas - between Shreveport, LA and Dallas, TX, about two hours from each - beautiful small city and gorgeous countryside around it)

Locally owned by a man who is from Marseilles, France.

In Yorktown, VA I really loved this place:
https://yorktownpub.com/
Good seafood and TRY THE BUTTERBEANS. You won't be disappointed. They are not very expensive either (none of the food, including the butterbeans - LOL).

Chez Phillipe at the Peabody Hotel in Memphis (check out the bar too - it's also fabulous - heck the whole hotel is fabulous). Spring for it and get the full 5 course (or something like that) meal:
https://www.peabodymemphis.com/dine

Tupelo Honey is a terrific farm to table restaurant in Chattanooga, TN:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/tupelo-honey-chattanooga-2

The Lobster Trap is excellent in Asheville, NC - surprisingly good seafood (not just shellfish - LOL):
https://thelobstertrap.biz/

Kilkenny's Irish Pub is excellent in Tulsa, OK:
https://tulsairishpub.com/

The Mariposa Latin Inspired Grill in Sedona, AZ is delicious and fresh and has great views:
https://www.mariposasedona.com/

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 04-11-2021 at 08:30 AM..

Old 04-16-2021, 05:28 PM

23,569 posts, read 6,519,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwy View Post
Hello everyone I am currently planning on doing a food tour around the US this summer. I am hoping that many of you can recommend some of your favorite foods and the restaurants that serve them in your city.

You can list any and every food type and even drinks as long as it something that you considered among the best tasting. Well any food except for shellfish since I am allergic to it, but outside of shellfish I do enjoy seafood.

All I ask is that you try to list restaurants that are not food chains. It defeats the purpose of traveling around the country to experience local cuisine’s when someone recommends a place like Applebee’s or 5 guys burgers because I can find those restaurants and the dishes they serve in every city; so why travel to taste them.

Outside of those two stipulations I hope that you were recommend anything that you consider the best tasting that you’ve had, it can be from some cheap hole in the wall place to a five-star restaurant that cost an arm and a leg; I care more about experiencing the quality of the food then I care about the price.

Anyway I am hoping that people all over the country will see this and list:

Your favorite food

The name of the restaurant that serves it

The city & state it’s in
German sausage and banana pudding-Jack Jordan's BBQ-Odessa, Texas.

Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM

39 posts, read 279 times
Palm Palace (Mediterranean) - Ann Arbor, MI
Blufish Sushi - Glenview, IL (Chicago Suburb)
K-Rico Mexican Grill - Naples, FL
Saranellos (buffet style inside the Westin) - Wheeling, IL
Ronin Spoon Ramen - Northbrook, IL

All very good, although some are more "sit-down" style and take longer to prepare.

Old Today, 05:53 AM

57,175 posts, read 45,649,885 times
Yorktown Pub in Yorktown, VA. Get the butterbeans when they are in season - I know that sounds crazy but DANG. (They are in season now, I believe.)

Anyway, the added benefit is that you get to see Yorktown (be sure to tour the house where Cornwallis surrendered) and the Historic Triangle of Yorktown, Jamestown (great museum there) and Williamsburg!

The Pub is on the harbor and the harbor itself is a cool place in my opinion. I love me some Yorktown and some Tidewater Virginia.

Oops, just realized I already answered this - LOL. With the same answer. At least I'm consistent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.