Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 07:03 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times

Advertisements

Asheville NC, Greenville SC, Boise ID, Colorado Springs CO. Those fit all 7, IMO. I wouldn't go with Portland or Seattle. They check all of the boxes except friendliness. They're 2 of the least friendly places I've ever visited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 08:01 AM

26 posts, read 25,163 times
Thank you all for some great recs!!

I've heard great things about the PNW, but also, people will mention the "Seattle freeze" and seasonal affective disorder. Hype or true?

Old 03-29-2021, 08:10 AM

1,320 posts, read 868,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citySearcher08 View Post

I've heard great things about the PNW, but also, people will mention the "Seattle freeze" and seasonal affective disorder. Hype or true?
I can't speak for Seattle, but I did not find this to be true in Portland. I found everyone to be very friendly and warm. People in the PNW are said to be a bit more introverted which is why some people might get that impression.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:29 AM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Some of the Interior Northeastern areas could work as well. Cities near mountains of decent size will fit most, if not all of the criteria. Of course, this will depend on where the OP wants to be within the country though.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:36 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,127,706 times
Cleveland checks all of these boxes, but if cold weather and SAD is a concern maybe it wouldn't be the best choice. November-February can be pretty gloomy. We do have a great craft beer scene, a fantastic parks system (plus a national park 40 minutes outside the city), great food scene, and really good music scene. Plus it's super affordable compared to a lot of other cities, and the people are pretty friendly.

Old 03-29-2021, 09:13 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citySearcher08 View Post

I spent 5 days in Seattle for work a couple years ago.

The people - not friendly. They weren't rude, but they weren't outgoing, either. I literally had a neon sign above my head that said "start small talk with me" because I was in a boot courtesy of a broken foot. I probably should've used Uber to get around the city, but I like to walk and I'm stubborn AF. One of my walks was around a mile. I walked past several hundred people. Very few acknowledged me, and none of them engaged me. I had precisely one person come up to me outside the office the entire trip - a little old lady who asked me how I hurt myself and asked if I needed any help. Denver isn't known for being super outgoing, but here complete strangers constantly wanted to know what I did to myself.

The weather - I was there Sunday through Thursday. It was cloudy when I arrived at Sea-Tac, and the sun didn't come out 'til late Wednesday afternoon. It didn't rain much. It was just cloudy and gloomy. Seattle's sunniest months have average sunshine totals similar to Denver's gloomiest ones - roughly 65%. If you like lots of sun, you'll hate Seattle.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 03-29-2021 at 09:22 AM..

Old 03-29-2021, 09:22 AM

7,103 posts, read 4,536,107 times
Reno fits them all.

Old 03-29-2021, 10:34 AM

16,083 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Albuquerque fits the bill with the possible exception of #7. There are canoe and kayak options in the Rio Grande and I see people in kayaks but have never tried it. White water rafting is common through the Rio Grande Gorge near Taos. Within minutes you have a choice between forested mountains and wide open desert terrain or the bosque forest trails. Santa Fe is less than an hour away, Taos is less than two hours. Las Cruces, White Sands, Gila Wilderness are to the south. The place has a Goldilocks four season climate so you can be active all year. Hiking trails go through the Sandia Mtn. foothills, Manzano Mountains, and Jemez Mountains. There are skiing options. Mountain or backcountry biking is popular. With only two million people in the state you will not be crowded out of any activity you choose. The mix of three cultures makes the place interesting. The metro is not yet one million. Balloon Fiesta in October brings in droves of visitors.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:20 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,533,494 times
Austin or Nashville

Old 03-29-2021, 11:21 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,282,579 times
Phoenix, Nashville, Austin, Atlanta all fit the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.