Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 04:30 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,595,852 times

Advertisements

Friendly people is what ruins it here. Portland, Austin, SF, etc are only friends to cities that view the world the same way they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 06:10 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citySearcher08 View Post
Hi all! I'm trying to create a shortlist of cities to visit to see if I'd like to possibly move.

I like (in no specific order):

1. Good food
2. Craft beer (particularly stouts and NEIPAs)
3. Live music (small venues over arenas)
4. Friendly people
5. Beautiful hikes (the more dramatic views, the better!)
6. Easy weekend trips (e.g. can drive a couple of hours to somewhere else interesting)
7. Canoeing

My current city has #1-4 (not bad), but I'm looking for places that may have all 7. Would be great if there were a number of outdoors clubs/groups.

My demographic: 35, female, single, no kids

Bonus points for within 1 hour of a decent airport.
Brooklyn

Old 04-20-2021, 08:25 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Hi all! I'm trying to create a shortlist of cities to visit to see if I'd like to possibly move.

1. Good food
4. Friendly people
6. Easy weekend trips (e.g. can drive a couple of hours to somewhere else interesting)
7. Canoeing

My current city has #1-4 (not bad), but I'm looking for places that may have all 7. Would be great if there were a number of outdoors clubs/groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Phoenix, Nashville, Austin, Atlanta all fit the bill.

Atlanta.

Old 04-21-2021, 05:06 PM

50 posts, read 183,408 times
Ann Arbor

Old 05-09-2021, 08:14 PM

26 posts, read 25,163 times
Hi all!

OP here. Just an update that I'll be checking out Asheville (primarily), Greenville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga over the next month. Hoping to get a good feel for the area to see if any are a fit. Thanks again for the helpful recs!

Old 05-11-2021, 10:06 PM

994 posts, read 968,129 times
Quote:
Hi all!

OP here. Just an update that I'll be checking out Asheville (primarily), Greenville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga over the next month. Hoping to get a good feel for the area to see if any are a fit. Thanks again for the helpful recs!
Thanks for the update. Asheville is very liberal and artsy if that matters to you. easy access to anything outdoors. Greenville is still blowing up and is a good choice as well . I lived in the area for the last 4 years up until this past December. The towns outside of those 2 cities are good choices too ( Travelers Rest outside of Greenville and Brevard, Arden, Hendersonville, Waynesville outside of Asheville ) . Knox and Chat are good for your preferences, but wont be as close to outdoor recreation in the mountains as the other 2.

Old 05-13-2021, 09:23 PM

114 posts, read 111,680 times
Quote:

1. Good food
4. Friendly people
7. Canoeing

I second evening sun's recommendation. Not only is the town Sierra Nevada Brewery's home base, but they inspire a lot of smaller craft breweries as well like British Bulldog and Secret trail. So there's plenty of craft beer, and now wineries and distilleries are sprouting up too.

I'm biased but I think Chico's food scene has gotten really good in the past 10 years or so. There's some excellent burger joints that have been around a while (Nobby's, Big Chico Burger, Burger Hut, Big Al's, the Bear), some great food trucks, plenty of pub food establishments, and a few higher end restaurants too. I think it's home to one of the best Indian (Priya) and Thai (Cocodine) restaurants in the region—I've heard stories of people coming from as far away as SF to eat there.

Chico's always been friendly, it manages to hold on to the small town atmosphere even though it's population is in the six figure range now.

You have the park right there in town, and then within a short drive (<1hr) you have all kinds of trails and rock climbing to explore, especially in eastern Butte County and Plumas County. If you wanna see what kind of views you can have, check out the Instagram profile @explorebuttecountyca

Chico's about 1.5-2 hours away from Sacramento, I can usually be at Sacramento International Airport in 80 minutes or so. San Francisco is usually about a three hour drive away depending on traffic.

There are plenty of lakes in the region for canoeing: Lake Almanor, Bucks Lake, Eagle Lake, Philbrook Lake (need an offroad vehicle to get there) - all those lakes 2.5 hours or less away I believe, and Lake Tahoe is less than 3 hours away.

There are all kinds of outdoor clubs too: hiking, cycling (the Wildflower Century is a big event), etc.

Like evening sun said though, jobs are tough in the city. Unless you have a remote job that you can do from anywhere, or you work in education or healthcare, you may have a tough time finding something to live on.

Source: Lifelong Chico resident, 34 male, just relocated to east coast for work—family all still live in Chico and hoping to get back soon.

Old 05-18-2021, 05:39 PM

26 posts, read 25,163 times
OP again! Enjoying the hikes, breweries, and food in Asheville so far. Question though, which neighborhood do the 30-40 something professionals live and socialize in? I've seen a lot of grey haired folks (which, to be honest, are kind of my people haha but I'm also looking for peers) and folks that seem to be of the aspiring <insert bohemian profession> persuasion.

Old 05-23-2021, 05:47 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
What kind(s) of live music? Local bands ok or are you wanting touring regional (or national)?

Is an airport with connections to one or several hubs a decent airport or do want a hub?

Do you have a community size range? That could help get appropriate recommendations. Is Durango too small or ok? Ellensburg WA? Moscow ID?

People who already have "enough" friends may not look one of accept more. If you go to a place with a big peer group (especially hip "it" cities and towns), people have lots of options and most folks will find their group after awhile and largely be satisfied after that.

If you want friendly / friends, plan on being the initiator 80% plus of the time and really try.

Any rental or real estate purchase budget?

Bend might work but one or more of these questions might be an issue for some. Canoeing on various nearby lakes, mountain and not. On some rivers, depending on experience level and season.

Possibly Blacksburg VA or Clemson SC if you prefer the southeast.

Missoula or Helena MT could work for some. What is your posture on snow and winter temps?

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-23-2021 at 06:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.