Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 06:11 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,700,465 times

Advertisements

Sioux falls
Rochester mn
Huntsville al
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2021, 06:15 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,420,713 times
Maybe NOVA?

Old 04-02-2021, 06:47 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,890,394 times
This isn't a term used in the US, that I've heard of anyway. Not something I need to know, I don't think. Not to be snarky, but the point?

Old 04-02-2021, 06:53 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,018,765 times
The US is generally too large with too many totally independent cities to have that classification.

Old 04-02-2021, 07:40 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Rostock is the urban center in between the metropolitan areas of Hamburg to the west, Szczecin to the east, Copenhagen-Malmö to the north and Berlin to the south
Rostock region is the German gateway to the Baltic states, Russia and to Scandinavia;
Rostock is the economically strongest city of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania;
Rostock Port is a major hub[5] in Northern Germany;
more than 30 of the 100 biggest enterprises in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania operate in Rostock Region;
the oldest university in Northern Europe is located in Rostock;
Rostock is the biggest city in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, with more people moving in than moving out;
Rostock Region lies on the European axis connecting the Baltic and the Adriatic Sea;[6]
Rostock is host to the annual “Hanse Sail” event;
Rostock is the major destination of city tourism in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania;
Rostock Region is a location within the “BioConValley[7]” research network.
A little off-topic, but when I think of Rostock, I'm reminded of the 1992 riots, when a crowd of skinheads attacked an apartment complex housing foreigners.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rostoc...tenhagen_riots

I have no idea how Rostock is nowadays, but the indelible image I have of the place is of someone throwing a Molotov cocktail at the building. And as I watched that video on the news back in 1992, I was aghast, because I knew that there were people inside that building. Kind of amazing how an impression can be so powerful and last such a long time.

Old 04-03-2021, 03:32 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,928,100 times
I have a poor understanding of what a Regiopolis is, seems to be just a smaller metropolitan area, which the US has many. But for the sake of making this more interesting, it also seems to be an isolated city that plays a bigger role than it's population would otherwise say due to it's isolation. So from this perspective I think in N.A Fairbanks, Juneau, Yellowknife, Prince Rupert, Halifax, St. John, and St. John's are potentially good examples.

Old 04-03-2021, 05:30 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,043,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
If Kassel, DE counts as a Regiopolis....Providence-NB-FR area comes to mind. Worcester and the surrounding area maybe?
I feel like those New England examples are too tied into Boston. I’m thinking Keene might be a regiopolis for New England in the sense that it’s kind of big considering how far it is from any other city.

Old 04-03-2021, 07:15 PM

859 posts, read 697,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I have a poor understanding of what a Regiopolis is, seems to be just a smaller metropolitan area, which the US has many. But for the sake of making this more interesting, it also seems to be an isolated city that plays a bigger role than it's population would otherwise say due to it's isolation. So from this perspective I think in N.A Fairbanks, Juneau, Yellowknife, Prince Rupert, Halifax, St. John, and St. John's are potentially good examples.
I think it is one where a city is influential to a specific region but not on a large scale.

Old 04-03-2021, 07:41 PM

728 posts, read 974,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I feel like those New England examples are too tied into Boston. I’m thinking Keene might be a regiopolis for New England in the sense that it’s kind of big considering how far it is from any other city.
I can see that, fair point.

Albany might have a claim here though.

Old 04-03-2021, 07:53 PM

859 posts, read 697,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
Albany might have a claim here though.
Rochester too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.