Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 08:55 PM

234 posts, read 786,194 times

Advertisements

I would love to live around people who are basically happy most of the time!

Well, we all have problems and need to deal with them, and we may have conflicting emotions at times. But, some people seem to "pick themselves up" quicker than other people do....because they enjoy being happy most of all!! Have you noticed this too?

I'd love to hear about your "picks" for the happiest city in the USA, with the happiest people of all!!

Some people want to have "fun" and remain "fun-loving" and happy, no matter how old they get. Where others people seem to "shut-down," or they get "grumpy" a lot and negative.

Anyway, enough!! Thanks for listening. Welcome your comments! Thanks, Claire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2006, 09:31 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
I like being around people who lift me up, not bring me down. I think you'll find both kinds of people in every town. I really can't think of a town that I would call a happy or sad place. I've heard people say is your attitude worth catching?
For me I always look on the positive side of things. I may not have control over the situations I'm in but I do have control over how I react to them, and I choose the positive!

Old 12-30-2006, 09:33 PM

950 posts, read 3,191,502 times
You want to live in a city like that? You can find plenty of cities/towns in the Pacafic Northwest, Colorado, Utah, Northern California (Bay Area) and parts of Canada.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:52 PM

I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA:

Thanks for writing. I totally agree with you that the way we react to things makes all the difference in the world!!

I notice that some towns seem a bit "shut-down." Everyone isn't this way, but a lot of people have lost their joy and zest for life, and it can affect everyone.

When my husband and I go out together, we like to have fun, and be happy.

We're grateful to have time off, and excited that we can spend time together. We try to make every little thing "special," even shopping in markets, driving together, putting on a yard sale, etc.

Sometimes, people ask us if we are newlyweds, but we have been married 20 years. Just want to have a nice life, and keep our relationship fun and exciting, and stay best friends, that's all.

Sometimes, we feel like "aliens from outer space" around here because so many people just don't seem happy. It's wonderful when we do run into happy people, but this isn't normal.

We enjoy giving clerks in stores, and food servers "special attention" without going overboard. Just want to brighten their day, if we can. We're pretty low-key people, not loud people. Don't make a "big deal" about any of it.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knows a town or two that does seem a little friendlier, and happier. Thanks for writing and sharing. Agree with what you wrote! Thanks, Claire

Old 12-30-2006, 09:55 PM

Brian:

Thanks for writing. Good to hear that there are some towns and areas where people tend to be happier. I'll check them out. Thanks. Have you lived in areas where a large majority of people didn't seem all that happy? Just curious. Thanks, Claire

Old 12-30-2006, 09:58 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertlovers View Post
I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA:

Thanks for writing. I totally agree with you that the way we react to things makes all the difference in the world!!

I notice that some towns seem a bit "shut-down." Everyone isn't this way, but a lot of people have lost their joy and zest for life, and it can affect everyone.

When my husband and I go out together, we like to have fun, and be happy.

We're grateful to have time off, and excited that we can spend time together. We try to make every little thing "special," even shopping in markets, driving together, putting on a yard sale, etc.

Sometimes, people ask us if we are newlyweds, but we have been married 20 years. Just want to have a nice life, and keep our relationship fun and exciting, and stay best friends, that's all.

Sometimes, we feel like "aliens from outer space" around here because so many people just don't seem happy. It's wonderful when we do run into happy people, but this isn't normal.

We enjoy giving clerks in stores, and food servers "special attention" without going overboard. Just want to brighten their day, if we can. We're pretty low-key people, not loud people. Don't make a "big deal" about any of it.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knows a town or two that does seem a little friendlier, and happier. Thanks for writing and sharing. Agree with what you wrote! Thanks, Claire
Wow, you and your husband sound a lot like me and my husband, we are so happily married and really enjoy each other. We are best friends! People don't believe us when we tell them we never fight and how happy we are. We've been married 12 years, but we are older, I'm 52 my husband is 58. This is my first marriage and his second, his first wife was killed in a car accident. But I know what you mean about being around happy people

Old 12-30-2006, 11:03 PM

I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA:

YEA!! I'm glad you and your husband are so happy! Thanks for sharing this with me. I don't feel so alone anymore!!

Actually, I am not really all that "young." (Just "young at heart," I hope!)
I just turned 58 in November and my husband is 64!

We were both divorced earlier in life, and feel really lucky and blessed to have this "second chance" with each other. Don't take each other for "granted."

Some couples our age do seem to "take each other for granted" at times.
This is sad. Have you noticed this?

Happy last day of 2006 & Happy 2007!!! Thanks for writing and more tomorrow! Claire in AZ!

Old 12-31-2006, 01:30 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,393,679 times
Just from browsing around the different forums on this board, it seems that people in Colorado are pretty happy.

Old 12-31-2006, 04:00 AM

54 posts, read 311,170 times
I've read that the happiest people come from the warmer climates. I live in Wisconsin and our winters are very cold sometimes (but not this year...so far) When I visit Florida, the sun is shining, birds are singing, people seem to be very happy down there. (in the winter anyway) Being happy is something you have to do your self, you can't rely on others to "make you happy"

Old 12-31-2006, 04:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
Being happy is something you have to do your self, you can't rely on others to "make you happy"
Yes,happiness comes from within. Abraham Lincoln said, "People are about as happy as they make their minds up to be."
But I do think Brian's choices have merit.
I don't know how joyous the citizens of southern Florida (or SoCal) are right now, but perhaps there is some connection to *moderate* climates and mood.
Maybe the sun has something to do with it, too. Colorado gets a lot of sunshine, and it is not too crowded there (yet!). I think room to move has something to do with stress, or lack of it. People are less edgy if they have enough personal space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.