Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 07:39 AM

817 posts, read 598,836 times

Advertisements

I have no clue how Hartford came up on this list. Quite surprising, honestly.

Also, can anyone explain how California manages to still host several "hot" housing markets? At some point the literally insane housing prices would have to have an effect on demand, and yet the coastal cities (and now Sacramento) keep growing. How is this happening?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 07:41 AM

817 posts, read 598,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
To be honest, there needs to be a list for areas NOT on fire, as that is pretty hard to find right now to some degree.
Actually, the places that were not on fire before the pandemic are now especially not on fire. So certain parts of the Northeast and most of the Midwest, in other words.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:51 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
Actually, the places that were not on fire before the pandemic are now especially not on fire. So certain parts of the Northeast and most of the Midwest, in other words.
examples? I cannot find a single market that is not on fire.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:01 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
^Exactly, even in the Syracuse area, there are homes with under 1000 sq. ft. listed for 135k selling for tens of thousands over that, with 30 offers and going to a person with a cash offer and this isn't the other part of Upstate NY like this. Hence, the reason why I mentioned that it may be harder to find areas that aren't on fire to some degree.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:17 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^Exactly, even in the Syracuse area, there are homes with under 1000 sq. ft. listed for 135k selling for tens of thousands over that, with 30 offers and going to a person with a cash offer and this isn't the other part of Upstate NY like this. Hence, the reason why I mentioned that it may be harder to find areas that aren't on fire to some degree.
Yeah its crazy on fire. Oswego, which has low.. very low.. verrry low demand (Pre COVID) is absolutely insane. Closing sales in two days with multple offers. I know someone who bought a home for $155k there..the house sold (according to Zillow) for 60k in 2008, 54k in 2011, 89k in 2015.

Everywhere is suffering from an extreme lack of supply as Boomers and Millenials go to move into smaller/starter homes creating a huge imbalance as demand stays through the roof.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:27 AM

1,002 posts, read 917,424 times
To me it's pretty clear why this is happening:

Government prints a ton of money and distributes it. Benchmark interest rate drops to historic lows. Banks see historically high mortgage demand, print historically large amounts of money. US money supply sees a huge increase, while the amount of actual value represented by that money drops (Covid production issues). This is inflation.

EDIT: And some people are likely looking for relatively safe places to store their cash to avoid it devaluing.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:43 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah its crazy on fire. Oswego, which has low.. very low.. verrry low demand (Pre COVID) is absolutely insane. Closing sales in two days with multple offers. I know someone who bought a home for $155k there..the house sold (according to Zillow) for 60k in 2008, 54k in 2011, 89k in 2015.

Everywhere is suffering from an extreme lack of supply as Boomers and Millenials go to move into smaller/starter homes creating a huge imbalance as demand stays through the roof.
There is also the aspect of big city people that can work remote and don't have to go into town but for only limited amounts of days, if at all, that are moving to smaller cities/towns as well. They bring that big city salary with them and can pay for homes in these areas with cash in hand.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:48 AM

208 posts, read 145,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
Also, can anyone explain how California manages to still host several "hot" housing markets? At some point the literally insane housing prices would have to have an effect on demand, and yet the coastal cities (and now Sacramento) keep growing. How is this happening?
A lot of people with a lot of money want to live in CA, especially the coastal regions, relative to supply of available land/dwelling units in those regions.

Old 04-25-2021, 08:54 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,890,394 times
I live in central Wisconsin, and prices have risen here, fairly substantially, and homes are getting multiple offers, far above asking. It's not just a phenomenon in large cities in, let's say, California. A house in our neighborhood went on the market, and within a day, had over 20 offers. This is not a highly populated area. Like I said, not unusual right now, in most places, I'm guessing.

Old 04-25-2021, 03:18 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
Yeah, it's probably a lot more instructive to focus on areas where there ISN'T an insane supply-demand imbalance right now. Maybe rural areas with high poverty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.