Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 12:23 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,323,576 times

Advertisements

Disclaimer: there are many states here that I have not yet visited.

AL: Birmingham, maybe Mobile?
AK: Anchorage
AZ: Flagstaff
AR: Hot Springs
CA: San Diego/Carlsbad
CO: Denver
CT: Greenwich
DE: New Castle
FL: Saint Petersburg
GA: Northern Atlanta suburbs, maybe Alpharetta.
HI: Honolulu
ID: Boise
IL: Downtown Chicago
IN: South Bend
IA: Des Moines
KS: Kansas City
KY: Covington
LA: New Orleans
MA: North End, Boston
MD: Bethesda or Annapolis
ME: Portland
MI: Detroit suburbs
MN: Minneapolis
MO: Independence
MS: Gulfport?
MT: Billings?
NE: Omaha
NV: Reno or Carson City
NH: Portsmouth
NM: Santa Fe
NY: Rochester
NC: Raleigh
ND: Fargo
OH: Cleveland
OK: Tulsa
OR: Eugene
PA: My heart says Pittsburgh, my head says Philly
RI: Providence
SC: Charleston
SD: Sioux Falls?
TN: Nashville
TX: Dallas
UT: Salt Lake City
VA: Richmond or NoVA
VT: Burlington
WA: Bellevue
WI: Madison
WY: Casper?
WV: Harpers Ferry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 01:07 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
PA: My heart says Pittsburgh, my head says Philly
I definitely relate to this. Pittsburgh is a really interesting and unique city, but in the long run I know I'd get restless there, Philly would have a lot more social opportunities and stuff to do to keep me engaged.

BTW, it seems like you like urban environments, Bellevue is not that. The downtown is sterile and surprisingly un-walkable --- it's just a place for trust fund babies to take Instagram photos about "loving the city life" --- and the city gets really suburban immediately outside the downtown. I'd go with Olympia (if you want more of a punk/crunchy feel) or Bellingham (a bit more refined) for WA given the rest of your choices. Also for Montana you want Missoula, Billings is like your average sleepy Midwestern city like Peoria, IL.

Old 04-29-2021, 03:14 PM

472 posts, read 346,956 times
AL: Mobile or Bham; leaning Bham.
AZ: Scottsdale or Sedona
AR: Fayetteville
CA: San Diego
CO: Colorado Springs
DE: Wilmington
FL: St Augustine or St Petersburg
GA: Savannah
HI: Lihue or Princeville, Kauai
IL: Chicago
IN: Indianapolis
KS: Lawrence
KY: Louisville or Lexington
LA: NOLA, maybe Lake Charles, but probs NOLA
MI: Grand Rapids
MN: Duluth
MS: Ocean Springs or Oxford
NE: Lincoln
NV: Reno
NH: Not enough experience.
NM: Santa Fe, Taos or Las Cruces- probs Santa Fe though
NY: Somewhere near Old Forge
NC: Wilmington
OR: Salem
PA: Couldn't decide, I like a lot of PA.
SC: Charleston or Greenville, probs Charleston
TN: Memphis
TX: Galveston or San Antonio
VA: Richmond or Williamsburg
WA: Spokane

I didn't list all states- if I didn't have a lot of experience or knew enough it wasn't listed.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:48 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
AL: Birmingham metro (southern suburbs only)

CT: Not a chance (too expensive, lacking in diversity and boring)

MA: Not a chance (too expensive, lacking in diversity)

NJ: Not a chance (too expensive and too boring)

RI: Not a chance (too expensive, lacking in diversity and boring)
MA+CT+RI together have about 11.7 million people and are about 67% Non-Hispanic White between them (74% in 2010).

MA also sees the 2nd most international migration per capita after Florida, with CT in 4th and RI in 5th. Ahead of states like TX, NY, CA and IL. Most of these immigrants come from China, India, the DR, Cabo Verde, West Africa and Vietnam. Lacking diversity? Definitely not. I think once you visit you'll realize there is a major difference between Northern New England/Upstate NY and Southern New England which is basically a melting pot of every culture. Also Boston alone is extremely racially, linguistically and culturally diverse.. atleast a top 10. Were you excluding urban areas in your assessments of these 3 states? I think in a previous post I think you've said youve never been to New England which makes sense, but when you do visit I think youll be pleasantly surprised on how diverse-NE actually is.

Also, on NJ, I thought it was boring here before I moved here. But you have the mountains, a ton of beaches, cool towns with good nightlife, tons of shopping, cliffs, cool day trips all in the state border.. and two huge cities that surround it. With Atlantic City, Hoboken, Asbury Park, Ocean City, New Brunswick, Jersey City and the Six Flags Great Adventure (The largest roller coasters in the world are here) .. its hard to get bored. You literally have everything in your state borders from nightlife, beaches, mountains, theme parks, upscale towns, day trips, ethnic enclaves and day trips.

https://www.census.gov/data/tables/t...ate-total.html

also i need to do this.. im so lazy.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 04-29-2021 at 08:38 PM..

Old 04-29-2021, 08:26 PM

24 posts, read 12,926 times
AL: Birmingham
AZ: Tempe
AR: Little Rock
CA: Bay Area
CO: Denver
CT: New Haven
DE: Wilmington
FL: Miami
GA: Atlanta
HI: Honolulu
IL: Chicago
IN: Indianapolis
KS: KC Metro
KY: Louisville
LA: New Orleans
ME: Portland
MD: Baltimore
MA: Boston
MI: Detroit
MN: Minneapolis
MS: Desoto County (Memphis Suburbs)
MO: St. Louis
MT: Missoula
NE: Omaha
NV: Las Vegas
NH: Manchester
NJ: Jersey City
NM: Albuquerque
NY: Brooklyn/Queens
NC: Research Triangle
ND: Fargo
OH: Cincinnati
OR: Portland
PA: Philadelphia
RI: Providence
SC: Charleston
SD: Sioux Falls
TN: Nashville
TX: Austin
UT: Salt Lake City
VT: Burlington
VA: NOVA
WA: Seattle
WV: Eastern Panhandle (Proximity to DC and Baltimore)
WI: Madison
WY: Jackson

Old 04-29-2021, 08:55 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
...MA also sees the 2nd most international migration per capita after Florida, with CT in 4th and RI in 5th...
I'm not sure what this is supposed to prove.

Massachusetts have a non-hispanic white population over 70% (the national median is 63.7%), a black population of only 9% (the national median is 14.2%), and a Hispanic population of 11.8% (national mediam is 18.1%). It's not the *LEAST* diverse state, but the fact is it's still lacking in diversity compared to majority of states.

The only thing your reference to migration numbers might suggest is that Massachusetts is slowly becoming more diverse, but when they already weren't very diverse in the first place, it doesn't really disprove that they're lacking in diversity.

Virtually the same thing goes for CT and RI.

Quote:
Also, on NJ, I thought it was boring here before I moved here. But you have the mountains, a ton of beaches, cool towns with good nightlife, tons of shopping, cliffs, cool day trips all in the state border.. and two huge cities that surround it. With Atlantic City, Hoboken, Asbury Park, Ocean City, New Brunswick, Jersey City and the Six Flags Great Adventure (The largest roller coasters in the world are here) .. its hard to get bored. You literally have everything in your state borders from nightlife, beaches, mountains, theme parks, upscale towns, day trips, ethnic enclaves and day trips.
Meh, when your bragging point is that you're adjacent to huge cities in different states, that's not exactly a ringing endorsement for the state itself. Me personally, if I'm going to live in that part of the country, I'd rather live *IN* those cities. And I have the flagship park for Six Flags right down the street from me. And personally, I'm not an outdoors person, but I can think of plenty other states with beaches & mountains I'd rather live in (IMO, NJ's negative attributes outweighs these offerings).

Last edited by citidata18; 04-29-2021 at 09:16 PM..

Old 04-30-2021, 05:33 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure what this is supposed to prove.

Massachusetts have a non-hispanic white population over 70% (the national median is 63.7%), a black population of only 9% (the national median is 14.2%), and a Hispanic population of 11.8% (national mediam is 18.1%). It's not the *LEAST* diverse state, but the fact is it's still lacking in diversity compared to majority of states.

The only thing your reference to migration numbers might suggest is that Massachusetts is slowly becoming more diverse, but when they already weren't very diverse in the first place, it doesn't really disprove that they're lacking in diversity.

Virtually the same thing goes for CT and RI.

Meh, when your bragging point is that you're adjacent to huge cities in different states, that's not exactly a ringing endorsement for the state itself. Me personally, if I'm going to live in that part of the country, I'd rather live *IN* those cities. And I have the flagship park for Six Flags right down the street from me. And personally, I'm not an outdoors person, but I can think of plenty other states with beaches & mountains I'd rather live in (IMO, NJ's negative attributes outweighs these offerings).
Theres more to diversity than looking at black % white % hispanic % , which Greater Boston and parts of MA perform very well at ... and CT RI. Boston itself is far more diverse than where you are now, Dallas. No question. High LGBT population, high international student population, religious and linguistic diversity, 12th most diverse dining scene in the world, and the city itslef is only about 40% white and boasts a higherr % of African Americans than NYC. Its honestly hard to meet the diversity of the area, only few do.

Also most of the negative attributes to NJ arent really true. The state is jam packed. But that goes for pretty much this whole post. MA NJ RI CT, once you visit these states youll see they all are crazy diverse and NJ has things to do without relying on nyc or Philly

Old 04-30-2021, 08:05 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Quote:
...Also most of the negative attributes to NJ arent really true. The state is jam packed...
Having a ton of people isn't necessarily better.

And I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded.

*It's true that NJ is one of the most expensive states in the country

*It's true that the urban "cities" range from underwhelming to downright dysfunctional (Jersey City's probably the least bad).

*It's true that NJ has some of the worst traffic of any state in the country.

*It's true that NJ is one of the most corrupt states in the country (per-capita and in terms of number of convictions).

Essentially, it has all of the bad trappings of NYC and Philadelphia without the good (which are found *IN* NYC and Philadelphia).

I respect you trying to be a cheerleader for these states in the NE, but you're not going to change my mind about living in them.

Old 04-30-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Having a ton of people isn't necessarily better.

And I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded.

*It's true that NJ is one of the most expensive states in the country

*It's true that the urban "cities" range from underwhelming to downright dysfunctional (Jersey City's probably the least bad).

*It's true that NJ has some of the worst traffic of any state in the country.

*It's true that NJ is one of the most corrupt states in the country (per-capita and in terms of number of convictions).

Essentially, it has all of the bad trappings of NYC and Philadelphia without the good (which are found *IN* NYC and Philadelphia).

I respect you trying to be a cheerleader for these states in the NE, but you're not going to change my mind about living in them.
Yeah i respect your opinion. But calling MA CT RI not diverse, is just wrong.

And a lot of what people do say about NJ is also wrong. Im just trying to paint a more accurate picture of each. Nj definitely not for everyone. It is jam packed, taxes are absurd and Traffic is not good at all, esp with the roads. But its not boring, and you really dont have to leave the state ever since everything is in the borders

Old 04-30-2021, 09:23 AM

509 posts, read 433,198 times
Alright gang! I pulled together everyone's responses so far to determine the winning city for every state based on popular opinion! Here goes...

Alabama: Birmingham leads with 9 votes. Mobile and Huntsville tied at 5
Alaska: Anchorage noted 14 times, definitely a clear lead here
Arizona: Phoenix Metro at 12, but Flagstaff holding its own at 8
Arkansas: Fayetteville/Bentonville leads at 8, Little Rock 6
California: Extremely competitive: Bay Area 7, LA Metro at 6, San Diego 4
Colorado: Denver sweeping this at 12 votes
Connecticut: Competitive between Hartford (5) and NYC suburbs (4)
Delaware: Wilmington sweeping at 8
Florida: Miami (5 votes) and Tampa (4 votes) going head to head
Georgia: Metro Atlanta at 12 and Savannah at 8

Hawaii: Almost no contest is Honolulu at 14
Idaho: Almost no contest is Boise at 15
Illinois: Almost no contest is Chicago at 17
Indiana: Almost no contest is Indianapolis at 11
Iowa: Des Moines leads at 8
Kansas: Kansas City Metro popular here at 10
Kentucky: Louisville leads at 11, Lexington at 6
Louisiana: Almost no contest is New Orleans at 13
Maine: No contest winner Portland at 9
Maryland: Baltimore leads at 8

Massachusetts: Boston leads at 5 followed by Cambridge at 3. Lots of single votes for smaller cities
Michigan: Detroit leads at 7, but Grand Rapids close behind at 5
Minnesota: Little contest is Minneapolis at 11
Mississippi: Gulfport/Biloxi leads at 9 followed by Oxford at 6
Missouri: Kansas City Leads at 8 followed by St. Louis at 6
Montana: Extremely competitive: Missoula 3, Bozeman 2, Billings 2, Helena 2
Nebraska: Almost no contest is Omaha at 17
Nevada: Las Vegas leads at 9 followed by Reno at 5
New Hampshire: Manchester (7) in the lead followed by Portsmouth (5)
New Jersey: Competitive, but Jersey City leads at 4 followed by Hoboken (2)

New Mexico: TIE between Albuquerque (8 votes) and Santa Fe (8 votes as well)
New York: Little contest is NYC at 11 votes
North Carolina: Competitive, but Raleigh leads at 9 followed by Charlotte (6) and Asheville (5)
North Dakota: Fargo leads at 10 followed by Bismarck (weird how this city is consistently misspelled as Bismark) at 6
Ohio: Cincinnati leads at 9, Cleveland at 7, and Columbus failing at 2
Oklahoma: Tulsa (9) and Oklahoma City (8) almost in a dead heat
Oregon: Little contest Portland winning at 9
Pennsylvania: Philadelphia (10) leads Pittsburgh (6)
Rhode Island: Providence clearly leads at 10 votes
South Carolina: Charleston dominating at 11 followed by Greenville at 5

South Dakota: Sioux Falls at 9 leads Rapid City at 3
Tennessee: Nashville dominates at 11 with Memphis and Chattanooga tied at 4
Texas: Another competitive state, but Austin leads at 7 while Dallas and Houston tied at 4
Utah: Salt Lake City dominates with 12 votes
Vermont: No contest Burlington at 9 votes
Virginia: NOVA including Arlington and Alexandria dominates at 13 followed by Richmond at 6
Washington: Seattle dominates with 10 votes
West Virginia: Charleston leads with 7 votes followed by Morgantown with 4 and Harpers Ferry with 3
Wisconsin: Madison (9 votes) leads Milwaukee (3 votes)
Wyoming: Cheyenne leads with 6 votes to Jackson's 2

Will update again in a couple of weeks! Interesting results here.

Last edited by dbcook1; 04-30-2021 at 09:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.