Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 06:13 PM

6,562 posts, read 12,061,093 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious as to how Americans as a whole feel about California. There have been many posts in the California boards as well as the General U.S. board that show how people either really love it or hate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 06:15 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,574,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I'm just curious as to how Americans as a whole feel about California. There have been many posts in the California boards as well as the General U.S. board that show how people either really love it or hate it.
Well I like northern California but don't care for the southern part.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:28 PM

893 posts, read 2,864,930 times
I would love to visit California. From San Francisco to Los Angeles.

I love the way So Cal suburbs look especially Pasadena. Seems like a beautiful place to live, but I have no family there.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:31 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,380,459 times
I love it and (hate is too strong) dislike it. California has some of the most beautiful countryside anywhere in the U.S.
California also has a great variety of climate within the state and the weather along the coast is ideal.
California also has one of the most beautiful cities in the U.S.: San Francisco.
All these things also make California popular which leads to the problems.
Living in California is very difficult anymore for a middle class family. The cost of buying a home is ridiculously high. The traffic on the freeways is a nightmare to drive in although in some of the rural areas of California, traffic isn't bad. The cost of living for everything else, gasoline, food is also very high for a variety of reasons, some of which have to do with over-regulation by the state government.
If I could afford to live there I would just because I like the natural environment, but it is becoming an increasing hostile place for a middle class person to live.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:10 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,948,634 times
I love California and am moving there(San Diego) this summer! I even like the inland areas many seem to hate like Bakersfield and Sacramento.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:15 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,923,361 times
California is a great state with much to offer:
1. Laid back lifestyle (everyone is cheerful and happy, for the most part)
2. Excellent beaches with lots of activity (think bonfire parties )
3. Mild weather
4. Lots of diversity, especially around SF
5. Beautiful custom homes
6. Lots of big-name industry (think Silicon Valley, for example)
7. Mountains, lakes, and plenty of wilderness
8. Proximity to great vacation destinations (such as Vegas and Mexico)
9. The best public university system in the country
10. People are, for the most part, open-minded and accepting

There are some downsides.
A primary example: the intense traffic around LA and SF. Yes, it's true, the traffic is awful. But they are working on it. The new toll lanes have lightened the load quite a bit. And, believe it or not, there is a subway system in LA.

People will also complain about the costs (costs of living are typically comparable to cities like Boston and NYC). Housing prices are going down significantly, but California is still more expensive than many other places.

Most people I've talked to have claimed that the pros greatly outweigh the cons.

Old 05-11-2008, 03:37 AM

312 posts, read 1,519,935 times
I L O V E CALIFORNIA
I'm famous on forum for that !

Old 05-11-2008, 01:36 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,354,636 times
the greatness of California is largely outside urban areas

Old 05-11-2008, 03:03 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,923,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
the greatness of California is largely outside urban areas
My favorite is Lake Tahoe.

Old 05-11-2008, 03:40 PM

19 posts, read 72,250 times
California is too crowded, too expensive and is run by an immigrant movie actor that caters to immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.