Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2008, 06:37 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The ugliest cities I've personally seen would be Baltimore and Philadelphia.....Most pleasing.... Las Vegas.
Have you gone bloody mad?

I enjoy a good visit to Vegas for a weekend but you should be drop-kicked off the friggin planet for making that above statement. Good grief.

props to the photo peeps at flickr
Las Vegas

Philadelphia

Old 05-31-2008, 02:09 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,483,006 times
Newark

Old 06-01-2008, 12:17 AM

1,512 posts, read 8,166,303 times
Cities dominated and created primarily for the automobile are flat-out ugly! Unforntunately, much of America is this way, however, not all of it.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:01 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,393,276 times
Toledo, Ohio isn't so attractive....Evansville Indiana looks dead aswell

Old 06-03-2008, 01:07 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,322,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Wow! What a story.
LOL. I know, I can't understand why so many parts of Pittsburgh are like that. I was under the impression it was this renovated area that had great new suburbs. It's renovated (a few new things scattered about) and it has what they consider suburbs (except if you have children you can't let them visit each others houses because there are NO sidewalks, and the houses - however grand they are, are on at least one acre lots which makes it hard to let the little ones wander.) Just my opinion!

Old 06-03-2008, 01:17 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,322,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Wow! What a story.
Centralia is a sad story. Here is a short documentary which is very eye opening. This short film is professionally done and very good.

Centralia, PA

Old 06-03-2008, 01:22 PM

485 posts, read 1,959,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I like seeing the Scranton pics. I've now seen every house in town, so they've saved me a trip (and a tank of gasoline). We'll call it "green tourism."
LOL! You may be onto something!!! I was wondering how I was going to afford my vacation to the Pacific Northwest this year...I may just find someone like Scran-man from Seattle and have them send pictures.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:31 PM

485 posts, read 1,959,055 times
It's a loaded question actually--- which is the "ugliest" city. Some people consider a place ugly because of the physical unattractiveness of the buildings, some because of the general mindset of the people, some because of the lack of scenery, some because the area is new and "fake", some because the area is old and run-down...

My list includes:
Waco, Texas (don't like the town, the people, OR the scenery)
Corpus Christi, Texas
Bakersfield, California
Pueblo, Colorado
Shreveport, Louisiana

Houston is such a large city, it's hard for me to say that ALL of it's ugly as there are some very pretty parts with large trees and sprawling lawns...however, the Southeast quadrant with the oil refineries and the port really takes the cake - definitely ugly.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:34 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJinAustin View Post
LOL! You may be onto something!!! I was wondering how I was going to afford my vacation to the Pacific Northwest this year...I may just find someone like Scran-man from Seattle and have them send pictures.
There are quite a few Seattle photos on this site. I enjoy looking at them.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:22 AM

10 posts, read 28,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJinAustin View Post
It's a loaded question actually--- which is the "ugliest" city. Some people consider a place ugly because of the physical unattractiveness of the buildings, some because of the general mindset of the people, some because of the lack of scenery, some because the area is new and "fake", some because the area is old and run-down...

My list includes:
Waco, Texas (don't like the town, the people, OR the scenery)
Corpus Christi, Texas
Bakersfield, California
Pueblo, Colorado
Shreveport, Louisiana

Houston is such a large city, it's hard for me to say that ALL of it's ugly as there are some very pretty parts with large trees and sprawling lawns...however, the Southeast quadrant with the oil refineries and the port really takes the cake - definitely ugly.
This is like saying New York's such a large city...but yeah, that industrial district over there in Brooklyn "takes the cake" on ugliness. Every heavily sustainable city has these areas. I've seen areas of Philadelphia and New York that make Pasadena and the industrial district of SE Houston look like oases.

If you're going to make such sweeping statements on predisposed and largely incorrect notions and pass them off as a valid, educated opinion, at least admit in doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.